Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Kubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/)
-   -   A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4) (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/65793-note-kubuntu-8-04-beta-version-kde4.html)

Knapp 04-07-2008 07:33 PM

A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)
 
On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 9:21 PM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com> wrote:
> On Monday 07 April 2008, Valter Mura wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I downloaded the ISO of Kubuntu 8.04 KDE4 beta version to try it, and I
> > burned it on cd.
> > On cd boot, the loading is correct but if I navigate between directories
> > (for eg., I go to Home throught Dolphin and I try to open a folder such as
> > Documents or a file), the system freezes completely and I have to unplug
> > the comp to shut it down (it remembers me the good Windows BSD)!
> >
> > My System: PIV 2.8 Ghz, 768 Mhz RAM, Hard disk Linux dedicated, Graphic
> > Card ATI RAdeon 9200 SE 128 MB (quite old, no?)
>
> Pretty much the same hardware here but 8.04 is running just fine.
>
> However, I don't use Dolphin...... maybe that is the problem.
>
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Dolphin was locking up my computer too but with 7:10. I got rid of it
and am using konqueror. Now my system is even running faster too.
Dolphin really sucks, I think. I gave it a good 6 months to see if I
would get used to it, I did not. It can't ever view web pages! I
really don't know why anyone would want to change to Dolphin, even if
it worked well.


--
Douglas E Knapp
http://sf-journey-creations.wikispot.org/Front_Page

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Scott 04-07-2008 07:45 PM

A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)
 
> Dolphin really sucks, I think. I gave it a good 6 months to see if I
> would get used to it, I did not. It can't ever view web pages! I
> really don't know why anyone would want to change to Dolphin, even if
> it worked well.
I must agree with these words of wisdom. Konqueror is an amazing piece
of software; I often use it to demonstrate why Linux is better than
windows. I also tried Dolphin for a bit and simply did not like it.
When I upgrade to 8.04 I plan to delete it as my first action.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 7.10

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Larry Hartman 04-07-2008 09:53 PM

A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)
 
On Monday 07 April 2008 12:45:41 pm Scott wrote:
> > Dolphin really sucks, I think. I gave it a good 6 months to see if I
> > would get used to it, I did not. It can't ever view web pages! I
> > really don't know why anyone would want to change to Dolphin, even if
> > it worked well.
>
> I must agree with these words of wisdom. Konqueror is an amazing piece
> of software; I often use it to demonstrate why Linux is better than
> windows. I also tried Dolphin for a bit and simply did not like it.
> When I upgrade to 8.04 I plan to delete it as my first action.

My reading on this is that Dolphin is to become the default file manager while
Konqueror will remain the default browser. From what I understood, both will
be installed, and Konqueror will continue to work in both realms. I also
read that Dolphin works better in KDE4, but have not tested it. I personally
use Krusader for file manager and Firefox for browser.

Larry

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Michael 04-07-2008 11:25 PM

A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)
 
Larry Hartman wrote:

On Monday 07 April 2008 12:45:41 pm Scott wrote:



Dolphin really sucks, I think. I gave it a good 6 months to see if I
would get used to it, I did not. It can't ever view web pages! I
really don't know why anyone would want to change to Dolphin, even if
it worked well.


I must agree with these words of wisdom. Konqueror is an amazing piece
of software; I often use it to demonstrate why Linux is better than
windows. I also tried Dolphin for a bit and simply did not like it.
When I upgrade to 8.04 I plan to delete it as my first action.



My reading on this is that Dolphin is to become the default file manager while
Konqueror will remain the default browser. From what I understood, both will
be installed, and Konqueror will continue to work in both realms. I also
read that Dolphin works better in KDE4, but have not tested it. I personally
use Krusader for file manager and Firefox for browser.

Larry



This is a rhetorical question but here it goes anyway -

With so many good browsers and file managers already out there, why are
resources being used to create yet another file manager?** Granted, I
have not used Dolphin, but what is supposed to be so great
about it?* I have yet to see one positive post about Dolphin.



Mike




--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

David McGlone 04-08-2008 01:24 AM

A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)
 
On Monday 07 April 2008 7:25:16 pm Michael wrote:
> Larry Hartman wrote:
> On Monday 07 April 2008 12:45:41 pm Scott wrote:

<snip>

>but what is supposed to be so great about it?* I have yet
> to see one positive post about Dolphin.
</snip>

There is nothing great about dolphin. I can't stand it.

I said this a long long time ago, I think dolphin is a HUGE waste of
developers time! If KDE has all this time to create another file browser,
why not use that time and manpower to fix all the quirks and bugs in the
already existing apps.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Cary Bielenberg 04-08-2008 02:58 AM

A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)
 
Here here! I think it's the biggest waist of space! Konqueror is much
better! I believe they would be better spending the time in putting
Konqueror 3 functionality into KDE 4 version, I.E. SMB shares ability
to right click & unmount flash drives etc. I still use Konqueror V3 for
my day to day work as it is fully functional.


Cary

David McGlone wrote:
> On Monday 07 April 2008 7:25:16 pm Michael wrote:
>
>> Larry Hartman wrote:
>> On Monday 07 April 2008 12:45:41 pm Scott wrote:
>>
>
> <snip>
>
>
>> but what is supposed to be so great about it? I have yet
>> to see one positive post about Dolphin.
>>
> </snip>
>
> There is nothing great about dolphin. I can't stand it.
>
> I said this a long long time ago, I think dolphin is a HUGE waste of
> developers time! If KDE has all this time to create another file browser,
> why not use that time and manpower to fix all the quirks and bugs in the
> already existing apps.
>
>


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

"D. Michael McIntyre" 04-08-2008 03:04 AM

A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)
 
On Monday 07 April 2008, David McGlone wrote:
> There is nothing great about dolphin. I can't stand it.

I've been playing with the one in KDE4 that's supposed to be so much better
than the one in KDE3, and all I can say is that I'm glad Konqueror is still
behaving like Konqueror so far.

Some of the things they complain about in their mission statement are actually
features to me. Like having the up arrow, which is supposed to be "totally
irrelevant" for a web browser. But it's handy. I use it all the time when I
find some random link to some random page, and I want to see what's higher up
the ladder at that site, maybe to find the index that refers to the random
page I found, or maybe to find the entry point into the whole site. It's a
feature, and no other web browser has it.

> I said this a long long time ago, I think dolphin is a HUGE waste of
> developers time!

I agree. I just hope they never break Konqueror. That mission statement
stuff makes me think they will work on whittling it down bit by bit until
neither Konqueror nor Dolphin is any damn good for anything.

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about KDE in general. All the fancy new
glimtwizzles and spluthleflinks aren't worth a rat's ass as long as something
as fundamental as the little bar as the bottom of the screen is so absurdly
useless compared with its KDE3 predecessor. They seem to have their
priorities screwed up, at least from my perspective. Couldn't you get the
kicker replacement into some kind of good shape before you bothered to port
something as comparatively trivial as the card games? Huh?

Sigh.
--
D. Michael McIntyre

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Larry Hartman 04-08-2008 06:28 AM

A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)
 
On Monday 07 April 2008 06:24:33 pm David McGlone wrote:
> On Monday 07 April 2008 7:25:16 pm Michael wrote:
> > Larry Hartman wrote:
> > On Monday 07 April 2008 12:45:41 pm Scott wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >but what is supposed to be so great about it?* I have yet
> > to see one positive post about Dolphin.
>
> </snip>
>
> There is nothing great about dolphin. I can't stand it.
>
> I said this a long long time ago, I think dolphin is a HUGE waste of
> developers time! If KDE has all this time to create another file browser,
> why not use that time and manpower to fix all the quirks and bugs in the
> already existing apps.

My complaint is not a very big one at all, just that I dislike having my
directories ladened with hidden dolphin settings files. I still see them,
they are still there.

Larry

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

"Girard Henri" 04-08-2008 06:46 AM

A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)
 
I am not an expert but i think dolphin is very useful,
konqueror is a bit heavy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Hartman" <larryhartman50@vzavenue.net>
To: "Kubuntu Help and User Discussions" <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 8:28 AM
Subject: Re: A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)


> On Monday 07 April 2008 06:24:33 pm David McGlone wrote:
>> On Monday 07 April 2008 7:25:16 pm Michael wrote:
>> > Larry Hartman wrote:
>> > On Monday 07 April 2008 12:45:41 pm Scott wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> >but what is supposed to be so great about it? I have yet
>> > to see one positive post about Dolphin.
>>
>> </snip>
>>
>> There is nothing great about dolphin. I can't stand it.
>>
>> I said this a long long time ago, I think dolphin is a HUGE waste of
>> developers time! If KDE has all this time to create another file browser,
>> why not use that time and manpower to fix all the quirks and bugs in the
>> already existing apps.
>
> My complaint is not a very big one at all, just that I dislike having my
> directories ladened with hidden dolphin settings files. I still see them,
> they are still there.
>
> Larry
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Knapp 04-08-2008 06:48 AM

A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)
 
On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Larry Hartman
<larryhartman50@vzavenue.net> wrote:
> On Monday 07 April 2008 06:24:33 pm David McGlone wrote:
> > On Monday 07 April 2008 7:25:16 pm Michael wrote:
> > > Larry Hartman wrote:
> > > On Monday 07 April 2008 12:45:41 pm Scott wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > >but what is supposed to be so great about it? I have yet
> > > to see one positive post about Dolphin.
> >
> > </snip>
> >
> > There is nothing great about dolphin. I can't stand it.
> >
> > I said this a long long time ago, I think dolphin is a HUGE waste of
> > developers time! If KDE has all this time to create another file browser,
> > why not use that time and manpower to fix all the quirks and bugs in the
> > already existing apps.
>
> My complaint is not a very big one at all, just that I dislike having my
> directories ladened with hidden dolphin settings files. I still see them,
> they are still there.
>
> Larry
>

I think the real question here is, what is the advantage to dolphin?


--
Douglas E Knapp
http://sf-journey-creations.wikispot.org/Front_Page

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:22 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.