Old 04-09-2008, 01:08 AM
David McGlone

Default A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 12:54:35 pm p.daniels wrote:
> Michael Leone wrote:
> > > If someone can argue FOR dolphin, i would like to hear it.
> >
> > That sort of definitely proves my point. :-) That's not a "tell me
> > what you don't like about it, so we can make it better" post; that's a
> > "I can't find one good thing about this program; has ANYONE ever found
> > one good thing about this program?" post.
>
> That's not how I read it at all. You're totally jumping to conclusions.
>
> > Also see earlier posts along the lines of "why waste time on creating
> > Dolphin"? You wouldn't phrase it as wasting time creating it, if all
> > you were doing was looking to make it better.
>
> No, it's a valid question. "If there is a very good, highly acclaimed
> file manager for KDE that exists and is mature now, then what is the
> purpose of developing Dolphin?" That's not a rhetorical question, that's
> not an unfair question. If there are good answers, let's hear them,
> instead of attacking the people asking the question.

Thank you.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:27 AM
Larry Hartman

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 04:59:58 pm D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Michael Leone wrote:
> > > BTW I need XP for certain network admin apps & outlook
> >
> > Why do you think you need to justify your actions? :-) If you want to
> > run XP, for any reason, then do so. Use whatever works best for you.
> > No need to elaborate why.
>
> Just don't ever admit to running GNOME around here. Or emacs.
>
> --
> D. Michael McIntyre

Back in the final days of 6.06 I ran GNOME, then not realizing that another
desktop was available....it didnt take long for KDE-dom to reach me once I
stepped foot into Linux world, I think maybe 2-3 weeks.

I had Ubuntu-Kubuntu both installed for a while, then asked myself why do I
have both installed when I don't use GNOME? Now I have to figure out how to
make use of free harddrive space.....

There you go, I admitted it. Now what happens to me next? I think I'll
duck....

Larry

Old 04-09-2008, 04:12 AM
"Andrew Jarrett"

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 7:59 PM, D. Michael McIntyre
<michael.mcintyre@rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Michael Leone wrote:
> > > BTW I need XP for certain network admin apps & outlook
> >
> > Why do you think you need to justify your actions? :-) If you want to
> > run XP, for any reason, then do so. Use whatever works best for you.
> > No need to elaborate why.
>
> Just don't ever admit to running GNOME around here. Or emacs.

Now this flamewar (even though it started as just a simple
predicament, which I don't think anyone has really helped out on) just
increased its scope from "Konqueror vs. Dolphin" to "Konqueror vs.
Dolphin, KDE vs. GNOME, and Emacs vs. Everyone Else". Thanks a lot, I
will be expecting at least a trillion of emails in my inbox tomorrow
morning

I wish I could help out the OP, but I would have no idea why Dolphin
would freeze when changing directories. If the problem is
reproducible (and it sounds like it is), you should try to post a bug
report or look for a similar report here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/dolphin/

Now back "on topic": Dolphin
All I have to say is that at least Dolphin doesn't suck as much as
D3lphin (I mean, come on, if you're going to have a "split view" could
you at least make it split the two panes _evenly_, please!) and
Dolphin is not such a bad file manager and it looks all flashy and
stuff. But Dolphin certainly doesn't compare to good ol' "M-x dired".
I mean, when I open a .odt or .ogg file, I of course want my file
manager to show me the file in its raw state. Although I'm sure
there's a package that could display the files correctly somewhere...

And new "topic": KDE vs. GNOME
Yeah, I used to use GNOME and it wasn't that bad, but I really can't
stand all the GTK widgets and icons and stuff. And it does seem to be
kind of limiting with options, although I'm sure there are some GNOME
hackers that could get everything customized to their liking.

Anyways, I wish I could stick around and talk about how I hate this or
that and why I love this or that and why the world is coming to an
end, but I have to go write up a summary of some project specs. In
Emacs, of course -- because every other program ever written sucks.
Hey, that should be their tagline; its pretty catchy.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Old 04-09-2008, 05:45 AM
Knapp

> I wish I could help out the OP, but I would have no idea why Dolphin
> would freeze when changing directories. If the problem is
> reproducible (and it sounds like it is), you should try to post a bug
> report or look for a similar report here:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/dolphin/

Not that is much help but it was crashing on me whenever I clicked on
empty trash. Not enough to post a bug but if someone else does then
you might include this. It was a 7:10 64 bit AMD system.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 04-09-2008, 06:55 AM
Cary Bielenberg

Not a chance of me using Gnome! Have been flamed on the Ubuntu forums
for waving the Kubuntu flag 8-)

Cary

Old 04-09-2008, 07:12 AM
alan c

Knapp wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Larry Hartman
> <larryhartman50@vzavenue.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > <snip>

>> > </snip>
>> >
>> > There is nothing great about dolphin. I can't stand it.
>> >
>> > I said this a long long time ago, I think dolphin is a HUGE waste of
>> > developers time! If KDE has all this time to create another file browser,
>> > why not use that time and manpower to fix all the quirks and bugs in the
>> > already existing apps.
>>
>> My complaint is not a very big one at all, just that I dislike having my
>> directories ladened with hidden dolphin settings files. I still see them,
>> they are still there.
>>
>> Larry
>>

> I think the real question here is, what is the advantage to dolphin?

Although I still use konqueror sometimes for file management I find
that dolphin is simple. It deals with one or two files, and the
hierarchy is not available. I found this very frustrating at first,
but for most of my needs it is easier and safer than using konq.
I sometimes handle about 40Gb of files and I sometimes found konq gave
a few problems. So far dolphin - presumably much smaller - has been ok

The biggest problem was the shock of suddenly being faced with dolphin
with (for me anyway) no idea in advance it was likely to happen. But
then, There are no big marketing budgets in open source and I love it
anyway.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391

Old 04-09-2008, 09:54 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Wednesday 09 April 2008, Cary Bielenberg wrote:

> Not a chance of me using Gnome! Have been flamed on the Ubuntu forums
> for waving the Kubuntu flag 8-)

Now *that* is perfectly OK.

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 04-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Valter Mura

Il marted́ 8 aprile 2008 18:54:35 p.daniels ha scritto:
> Michael Leone wrote:
> > > If someone can argue FOR dolphin, i would like to hear it.
> >
> > That sort of definitely proves my point. :-) That's not a "tell me
> > what you don't like about it, so we can make it better" post; that's a
> > "I can't find one good thing about this program; has ANYONE ever found
> > one good thing about this program?" post.
>
> That's not how I read it at all. You're totally jumping to conclusions.
>
> > Also see earlier posts along the lines of "why waste time on creating
> > Dolphin"? You wouldn't phrase it as wasting time creating it, if all
> > you were doing was looking to make it better.
>
> No, it's a valid question. "If there is a very good, highly acclaimed
> file manager for KDE that exists and is mature now, then what is the
> purpose of developing Dolphin?" That's not a rhetorical question, that's
> not an unfair question. If there are good answers, let's hear them,
> instead of attacking the people asking the question.

First of all, I'm quite new to Linux, KDE and Kubuntu (less than 1 year, just
a baby... :-)

But, have you seen the version of Dolphin? 0.9.2
Konqueror? 3.5.9, it was born with KDE.

So, the two programs are divided by years of development.

Would you change your preferred brand of breakfast flakes with a new one?
Perhaps you'd try it but I'm sure you'd come back on your steps asap.

So, I like Dolphin also because I'm quite new here, and *for me* Konqueror and
Dolphin are very similar, I'm coming from Windows and I use Firefox for
browsing the Web (I use it also in Windows), Dolphin for me is good to browse
files.
Also I admit Konqueror is more complete, has more options.

But I understand the feelings: I'm an old user of Pegasus Mail for Windows
and, even if I had the possibility to use Thunderbird (open source, free,
etc...), I couldn't change my good, old mailer and I think it is actually one
of the best mailers for Windows.

I'm not able to describe technically the differences between Dolphin and
Konqueror, but I do understand that it's also a feeling matter...

Ciao,
--
Valter
Gnupgp ID: 0xD7274715 in hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com