FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Larry Hartman
 
Default A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 12:36:25 am Leticia Hernández wrote:
> 2008/4/8, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com>:
> > <snip>
> >
> > I think the real question here is, what is the advantage to dolphin?
>
> Really? I think the question is, why so much hate? No one forces you to use
> Dolphin. And are any of you KDE developers? Is anyone here spending their
> free time coding or writing patches to make this apps better? I'm not. I'm
> a proud KDE user and I truly value the time and effort this people put in
> everything they do for me. I love Dolphin, I really do. If you don't like
> it, don't use it. Isn't that the beauty of free software?

Me no hate... earlier in the thread I mentioned that I don't use Dolphin as
you suggest here, I use Krusader.....


Larry

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

p.daniels wrote:
> I don't know how representative of a sample the users on
> this mailing list are, but it seems that the verdict on Dolphin is
> overwhelmingly negative.

I don't think this list is representative. If many people like dolphin,
they don't have a reason to complain it is there. Therefore you won't see
many mails in favour of dolphin. However those who don't like it raise
their voice.


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Scott
 
Default A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

Nils Kassube wrote:
> If many people like dolphin,
> they don't have a reason to complain it is there. Therefore you won't see
> many mails in favour of dolphin. However those who don't like it raise
> their voice.
That is not completely true. If someone likes Dolphin they are going to
say so when they hear negative feedback and try to argue the good points
about dolphin; We have seen little of this on this list..

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 7.10

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-08-2008, 02:00 PM
claydoh
 
Default A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

On Tue April 8 2008 9:01:09 am p.daniels wrote:
> The "beauty of free software" is also that we get to have discussions like
> this. I don't know how representative of a sample the users on this mailing
> list are, but it seems that the verdict on Dolphin is overwhelmingly
> negative. If that is the case, I think "why is KDE defaulting to Dolphin
> when there has been no user outcry for it and quite a bit of backlash
> against it" is a totally fair question.

A lack of "user outcry for it" doesn't mean it is bad, just that those who
have no problems with it (ie it works fine for them), or actually like it,
are not necessarily as vocal as those who don't like it. And generally
speaking, people with negative experiences anywhere tend to be much more
vocal than those with positive ones.





--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net
http://flyballmaine.com

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-08-2008, 02:05 PM
claydoh
 
Default A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

On Tue April 8 2008 9:50:29 am Scott wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > If many people like dolphin,
> > they don't have a reason to complain it is there. Therefore you won't see
> > many mails in favour of dolphin. However those who don't like it raise
> > their voice.
>
> That is not completely true. If someone likes Dolphin they are going to
> say so when they hear negative feedback and try to argue the good points
> about dolphin; We have seen little of this on this list..
>
> --
> Your friend,
> Scott
>
> Sent to you from a Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 7.10

That is just this list, and very often people try to stay out of the argument,
as the Vocal Naysayers are usually much more, well Vocal (as seen on this
list), and are not going to be swayed anyway, Why add to the clutter?


--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net
http://claydoh.com
http://emacdogsports.com

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Martin Laberge
 
Default A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 10:00:40 claydoh wrote:
> A lack of "user outcry for it" doesn't mean it is bad, just that those who
> have no problems with it (ie it works fine for them), or actually like it,
> are not necessarily as vocal as those who don't like it. And generally
> speaking, people with negative experiences anywhere tend to be much more
> vocal than those with positive ones.
>

Is there someone in this room , using dolphin, who is able to
describe to me (and all others), why YOU like dolphin, why is
it better than konkeror, and what is your point of using it.

Maybe we just don't understand the point to use it?

If someone can argue FOR dolphin, i would like to hear it.


--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft@videotron.ca
Tel418)521-6823

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Paul Lemmons
 
Default A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

Martin Laberge wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 April 2008 10:00:40 claydoh wrote:
>
>> A lack of "user outcry for it" doesn't mean it is bad, just that those who
>> have no problems with it (ie it works fine for them), or actually like it,
>> are not necessarily as vocal as those who don't like it. And generally
>> speaking, people with negative experiences anywhere tend to be much more
>> vocal than those with positive ones.
>>
>>
>
> Is there someone in this room , using dolphin, who is able to
> describe to me (and all others), why YOU like dolphin, why is
> it better than konkeror, and what is your point of using it.
>
> Maybe we just don't understand the point to use it?
>
> If someone can argue FOR dolphin, i would like to hear it.
>
You don't have to have a technical, logical, black and white reason for
liking or disliking something. Sometimes you just do or don't. I like
Dolphin just fine. Don't ask me _why_ I like it. I just do and prefer it
over Konkeror.

It is kinda like broccoli and spinach. I like them both but I like
broccoli better. I have no idea why and it would be pointless to argue
the fact.



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-08-2008, 03:05 PM
claydoh
 
Default A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

On Tue April 8 2008 10:25:45 am Martin Laberge wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 April 2008 10:00:40 claydoh wrote:
> > A lack of "user outcry for it" doesn't mean it is bad, just that those
> > who have no problems with it (ie it works fine for them), or actually
> > like it, are not necessarily as vocal as those who don't like it. And
> > generally speaking, people with negative experiences anywhere tend to be
> > much more vocal than those with positive ones.
>
> Is there someone in this room , using dolphin, who is able to
> describe to me (and all others), why YOU like dolphin, why is
> it better than konkeror, and what is your point of using it.
>
> Maybe we just don't understand the point to use it?
>
> If someone can argue FOR dolphin, i would like to hear it.
>
>
> --
> Martin Laberge
> mlsoft@videotron.ca
> Tel418)521-6823

1) It works. And is quite configurable, even if it doesn't look so from the
relatively sparse settings. I use it (kde3's version BTW) to browse/write to
samba shares, ssh connection, ftp to webservers, etc.

2) It does its job well - My wife, who seldom uses a file manger, generally,
finds dolphin nicely laid out, with the important stuff right there, and the
system stuff there, but not as prominent. She doesn't like tree views, split
views, etc, she just wants to get to her stuff, and did so with Dolphin with
ease. All without help from me after a clean install before I had the chance
to tweak things to our liking.

3) I find it more efficient for file managing. For example I find the
breadcrumb method quicker for me than arrows etc, and I generally *dislike*.
breadcrumbs.

but really, its not about Dolphin being Better, or Konqueror being Worse it is
about the decision to go with a particular app for general day to day use.
Konqueror is still a *great* application! No one is trying to say that. I
think that is part of the misperception.

Does *anyone* remember when Konqueror first became the Swiss-Army knife tool
it is now, and the furor over it and kioslaves, of KDE/Konq going down the MS
Explorer take-over-your-desktop comparisons? The this-is -the -death-of-KDE
rants? Did that ever come to pass? nope. now much maligned Konq is the tried
and true, while dolphin is the new and different, When something better than
Dolphin comes around in KDE 6, the naysayers will cling to their beloved
filemanager and cry over the change , and a few die-hards will still pimp
Krusader or Konqueror ;D I still use Konq often in a multiply-split view, one
large pane for my website, and the right pane split horizontally into two,
one for my local filesystem, the other for the remote website's filesystem

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net
http://claydoh.com
http://emacdogsports.com

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-08-2008, 03:08 PM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

On 08/04/2008, Paul Lemmons <paul@lemmons.name> wrote:
> You don't have to have a technical, logical, black and white reason for
> liking or disliking something. Sometimes you just do or don't. I like
> Dolphin just fine. Don't ask me _why_ I like it. I just do and prefer it
> over Konkeror.

People are asking why you like it so that they can help create better software.

> It is kinda like broccoli and spinach. I like them both but I like
> broccoli better. I have no idea why and it would be pointless to argue
> the fact.

Nobody is arguing. We are trying to find out the good and the bad
characteristics of different file managers to make better software. If
you can mention what you like, then those features can be implemented
in other FOSS software. If you mention what you don't like, then those
features can be removed.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-08-2008, 03:17 PM
claydoh
 
Default A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

On Tue April 8 2008 11:08:20 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 08/04/2008, Paul Lemmons <paul@lemmons.name> wrote:
> > You don't have to have a technical, logical, black and white reason for
> > liking or disliking something. Sometimes you just do or don't. I like
> > Dolphin just fine. Don't ask me _why_ I like it. I just do and prefer it
> > over Konkeror.
>
> People are asking why you like it so that they can help create better
> software.

I disagree. I think most of the complainers simply don't like it, don't want
it and are not really interested in improving it, and want their preference
to be the standard. At least thats the tone I am getting here from the
comments

> > It is kinda like broccoli and spinach. I like them both but I like
> > broccoli better. I have no idea why and it would be pointless to argue
> > the fact.
>
> Nobody is arguing. We are trying to find out the good and the bad
> characteristics of different file managers to make better software. If
> you can mention what you like, then those features can be implemented
> in other FOSS software. If you mention what you don't like, then those
> features can be removed.
>

In this case, while the concept is valid, in terms of this list I must repeat
my statement above. And I do think there is arguing, at least on one side.
The Dolphin fans so far are not calling for the removal of Konnqueror (or at
least its non-webbrowsing components)

> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?



--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net
http://claydoh.com
http://emacdogsports.com

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:36 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org