Old 04-08-2008, 07:36 AM
"Leticia Hernández"

Default A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

2008/4/8, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com>:

*<snip>

I think the real question here is, what is the advantage to dolphin?

Really? I think the question is, why so much hate? No one forces you to use Dolphin. And are any of you KDE developers? Is anyone here spending their free time coding or writing patches to make this apps better? I'm not. I'm a proud KDE user and I truly value the time and effort this people put in everything they do for me. I love Dolphin, I really do. If you don't like it, don't use it. Isn't that the beauty of free software?

--
Leticia Hernández

Old 04-08-2008, 07:50 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Leticia Hernández wrote:

> 2008/4/8, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com <mailto:magick.crow@gmail.com>>:
>

> <snip>
>
> I think the real question here is, what is the advantage to dolphin?
>

> Really? I think the question is, why so much hate? No one forces you to
> use Dolphin. And are any of you KDE developers? Is anyone here spending
> their free time coding or writing patches to make this apps better? I'm
> not. I'm a proud KDE user and I truly value the time and effort this
> people put in everything they do for me. I love Dolphin, I really do. If
> you don't like it, don't use it. Isn't that the beauty of free software?

Agree totally. I don't like Dolphin and I don't use it - but others do.
I fail to see the problem, it is not overly complicated to set Konqueror
to be your default filemanager.

Sinclair

Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Knapp

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 9:50 AM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

> Leticia Hernández wrote:
> >

> > 2008/4/8, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com <mailto:magick.crow@gmail.com>>:
>

> > <snip>
> >
> > I think the real question here is, what is the advantage to dolphin?
> >

> > Really? I think the question is, why so much hate? No one forces you to
> > use Dolphin. And are any of you KDE developers? Is anyone here spending
> > their free time coding or writing patches to make this apps better? I'm
> > not. I'm a proud KDE user and I truly value the time and effort this
> > people put in everything they do for me. I love Dolphin, I really do. If
> > you don't like it, don't use it. Isn't that the beauty of free software?
>
> Agree totally. I don't like Dolphin and I don't use it - but others do.
> I fail to see the problem, it is not overly complicated to set Konqueror
> to be your default filemanager.
>
> Sinclair

No, real problem. It is like saying we don't need Kubuntu because we
could just install Ubuntu and then uninstall Gnome and install KDE.
Sure we could, no problem there ether. The default though will be used
by more people and get more development in the end.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 04-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Wagner Ferreira

I don't know if it can be a Dolphin-related problem, but any of you had some problem using Pendrives?

*

Let me explain:* I have a Kingston 2Gb*pendrive, and there are a lot of files inside it, that I need to edit without moving them anywhere.**Yesterday I plugged my pendrive in,*double-clicked*a text file, that was*automatically open in Kate.* I*did type some words, and tried to save it.* When*I did*that,*Kate said that "the file doesn't exist", didn't save the file, and umounted my pendrive.* I needed to unplug and plug it again.

*

It happened three times.* Always in the same way.

*

I use 7.10 upgraded to 8.04.

*

Cheers,*

Wagner Ferreira
Informática*& Networking
(11)7642-7980
(11)8524-8764
wagner.tec.inf@hotmail.com

Old 04-08-2008, 10:20 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 08/04/2008, Wagner Ferreira <wagner.tec.inf@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if it can be a Dolphin-related problem, but any of you had some
> problem using Pendrives?
>
> Let me explain: I have a Kingston 2Gb pendrive, and there are a lot of
> files inside it, that I need to edit without moving them anywhere.
> Yesterday I plugged my pendrive in, double-clicked a text file, that was
> automatically open in Kate. I did type some words, and tried to save it.
> When I did that, Kate said that "the file doesn't exist", didn't save the
> file, and umounted my pendrive. I needed to unplug and plug it again.
>
> It happened three times. Always in the same way.
>
> I use 7.10 upgraded to 8.04.

If you _really_ want help with that problem, then I suggest that you
start a new thread (not reply) on the subject. Then, more people will
see the relevant Subject Line and respond.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Norberto Bensa

Cary Bielenberg wrote:
> Here here! I think it's the biggest waist of space! Konqueror is much
> better! I believe they would be better spending the time in putting
> Konqueror 3 functionality into KDE 4 version, I.E. SMB shares ability
> to right click & unmount flash drives etc. I still use Konqueror V3 for
> my day to day work as it is fully functional.

KDE4 = Gnome 2.0

Don't waste your time. KDE4 will suck for a very looooong time. So keep your
KDE3 and wait until KDE 4.5 or maybe 5.1

Regards,
Norberto

Old 04-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Cary Bielenberg

Must confess it lacks a lot of functionality, but I wouldn't compare it
to Gnome!

Cary

Old 04-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Wagner Ferreira

I agree with that... KDE4 is very cool, but I shouldn't use that...I'd rather wait.

Wagner Ferreira
Informática*& Networking
(11)7642-7980
(11)8524-8764
wagner.tec.inf@hotmail.com

Old 04-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Cary Bielenberg

I'm running KDE4 on my work PC with XP running in Virtualbox & on my
personal laptop as well it for the most is very stable & aesthetically
pleasing. I have found the couple of apps from KDE3 I need to run
(control center & Konqeror) but everything else is quick & functional.

Cary

BTW I need XP for certain network admin apps & outlook

Old 04-08-2008, 01:01 PM
"p.daniels"

The "beauty of free software" is also that we get to have discussions like
this. I don't know how representative of a sample the users on this mailing
list are, but it seems that the verdict on Dolphin is overwhelmingly
negative. If that is the case, I think "why is KDE defaulting to Dolphin when
there has been no user outcry for it and quite a bit of backlash against it"
is a totally fair question.