Old 04-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Waleed Hamra

Default offline uncorrectable (bad) sectors

i have a few of them on one of my hard drives, and they're not
increasing, which is a relief. but i would like to know how to deal with
them? how can i get the system to stop attempting to write (or read)
into them? on NTFS drives, running chkdsk -R would mark them bad, and
never write to them again, but no idea how to achieve that in linux, and
it seems kubuntu is insisting to use them every few days, which gets the
SMART daemon's irk, and mails me warnings.
any help appreciated, thanks.

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 04-18-2012, 03:11 PM
uteck

Here is a howto for Linux for mark bad sectors:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/37659/the-beginners-guide-to-linux-disk-utilities/
Scroll down to the Bad Blocks section near the end.

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Waleed Hamra <kubuntu-users@whamra.com> wrote:
> i have a few of them on one of my hard drives, and they're not
> increasing, which is a relief. but i would like to know how to deal with
> them? how can i get the system to stop attempting to write (or read)
> into them? on NTFS drives, running chkdsk -R would mark them bad, and
> never write to them again, but no idea how to achieve that in linux, and
> it seems kubuntu is insisting to use them every few days, which gets the
> SMART daemon's irk, and mails me warnings.
> any help appreciated, thanks.
>
> --
> Waleed K. Hamra
> Manager of Hamra Information Systems