Old 04-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Phil Hughes

Default 12.04 getting better

The updates from about a week ago broke my WiFi card. That is now fixed. Other issues I need to evaluate are:
* * The kernel at least from Beta 2 required PAE. My T42 laptop is my favorite and it is pre-PAE. It makes no sense to me that the default for a kernel called "386" requires an instruction that didn't appear until the Centrino.

* * The combination of Dolphin, an NFS-mounted filesystem and sleep have not worked for years. I am sick of complaining about it. I will check to see if it is fixed but I am not hopeful.

Otherwise, 12.04 is looking pretty good. Not as good as KDE 3.5 as far as the amount of added crap/overhead but we call that "progress".

--
Phil Hughes
nicafyl@gmail.com

Old 04-16-2012, 05:34 AM
Nils Kassube

Phil Hughes wrote:
> The updates from about a week ago broke my WiFi card. That is now
> fixed. Other issues I need to evaluate are:
> * The kernel at least from Beta 2 required PAE. My T42 laptop is my
> favorite and it is pre-PAE. It makes no sense to me that the default
> for a kernel called "386" requires an instruction that didn't appear
> until the Centrino.

Agreed, the 386 name for the kernel is a joke. Some time ago I found out
that you can do a network install for a machine without PAE. Boot from
the mini ISO [1] and then install directly from the internet. It is
"only" a text installer but at least it works with older machines.

> * The combination of Dolphin, an NFS-mounted filesystem and sleep
> have not worked for years. I am sick of complaining about it. I will
> check to see if it is fixed but I am not hopeful.

You could try konqueror instead of dolphin - I never had problems with
nfs and konqueror.

> Otherwise, 12.04 is looking pretty good. Not as good as KDE 3.5 as
> far as the amount of added crap/overhead but we call that
> "progress".

Well, you forgot to mention the state of kmail2 which isn't ready for
production IMHO. OTOH if you were using 11.10 before, you are already
familiar with this "inconvenience".

Nils

[1] <http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/non-pae/mini.iso>