Old 04-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Bas Roufs - message in English

Default Calligra office suite: first impressions.

Hello Everybody

*

Via this mail I would like to give compliments to the developers of the new KDE office suite "Calligra". Today, I installed it in Kubuntu 11.10 via the regular ppa backport repository. I really love it immediately! It looks like a very adequate toolkit for creative and artistic word processing, sheet calculations, presentations, etc.

*

Of course, there are still a few rough edges to deal with in the further development of Calligra. When observing them, I will share them via this forum - of course, in a constructive way.

*

Today, I have experimented a bit with the word processor as wel as with "Brain Dump".

*

In the word procesor, I found two major points of attention so far.

*

I have looked for a possibility for export to .doc, .docx, pdf and other formats. So far, I only found a way to export to PDF: File > export to PDF.

For the other formats, I have looked under FILE > save as and FILE > export. I did not find it there. I will keep using LibreOffice next to Calligra until this essential feature will be available.

*

In LibreOffice, there is a effective way to establish the

basic styles and formatting, like the default font: FORMAT > styles and formatting (F11). Is there something similar in Calligra?

*

With respect to "Braindump": is this meant for mind mapping? I am wondering whether two closely interrelated mind mapping projects also could be integrated somehow in the Calligra family:

"Freeplane" (http://freeplane.sourceforge.net);
"Docear", http://www.docear.org/
The combination of Freeplane, Docear, Braindump and all other Calligra packages could create together a very powerful mind mapping, creativity boosting tool box.

*

*

Finally, I am looking for a widget for the panel: for launching all the Calligra applications. Another good option could be a widget for ALL the office applications. Now, when copying the office typing machine symbol to the panel, I get a duplicate of the K-launcher, however, with the typing machine symbol.

*

Here, my first reflection on Calligra finishes.

Respectfully yours,

Bas Roufs.
--

Bas G. Roufs MA

Van 't Hoffstraat 1

NL-3514 VT Utrecht

The Netherlands

E. BasRoufs@gmail.com

Mob. +31 6 446 835 10

Tel. +31 30 785 40

Websites in construction:

BasRoufs.eu
Viaconsensus.nl
RainbowGathering.eu
Open source OS: Linux Kubuntu 11.10.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:06 AM
Waleed Hamra

On 04/13/2012 04:52 PM, Bas Roufs - message in English wrote:
> Hello Everybody
>
> Via this mail I would like to give compliments to the developers of the new
> KDE office suite "Calligra". Today, I installed it in Kubuntu 11.10 via the
> regular ppa backport repository. I really love it immediately! It looks like a
> very adequate toolkit for creative and artistic word processing, sheet
> calculations, presentations, etc.
>
> Of course, there are still a few rough edges to deal with in the further
> development of Calligra. When observing them, I will share them via this forum
> - of course, in a constructive way.
>
> Today, I have experimented a bit with the word processor as wel as with "Brain
> Dump".
>
> In the word procesor, I found two major points of attention so far.
>
> I have looked for a possibility for export to .doc, .docx, pdf and other
> formats. So far, I only found a way to export to PDF: File > export to PDF.
> For the other formats, I have looked under FILE > save as and FILE > export. I
> did not find it there. I will keep using LibreOffice next to Calligra until this
> essential feature will be available.
>
> In LibreOffice, there is a effective way to establish the
> basic styles and formatting, like the default font: FORMAT > styles and
> formatting (F11). Is there something similar in Calligra?
>
> With respect to "Braindump": is this meant for mind mapping? I am wondering
> whether two closely interrelated mind mapping projects also could be
> integrated somehow in the Calligra family:
> "Freeplane" (http://freeplane.sourceforge.net);
> "Docear", http://www.docear.org/
> The combination of Freeplane, Docear, Braindump and all other Calligra
> packages could create together a very powerful mind mapping, creativity
> boosting tool box.
>

> Finally, I am looking for a widget for the panel: for launching all the
> Calligra applications. Another good option could be a widget for ALL the office
> applications. Now, when copying the office typing machine symbol to the panel, I
> get a duplicate of the K-launcher, however, with the typing machine symbol.
>
> Here, my first reflection on Calligra finishes.
> Respectfully yours,
> Bas Roufs.

very interesting, will probably install and try it out in the next few
days. you mentioned that export to some MS formats isn't supported, or
implemented, yet. what about import from these formats? does it exist?
is it reliable?
as far as i'm concerned here, PDF is all i need to share my writings,
but the troublesome part is reading the MS files other people send to me.
hopefully, if usable enough, calligra will have a new tester and bug
reporter, to help them get better. i mean really, i don't care much
about lack of features, incosistency, or the sort, as long as the
product is usable enough, i'll help its developers make it better

2 hours of aptitude left to get the suite...

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 04-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Dale Trombley

I will definitely install and check this out.

However, of the 12 Linux systems IT 4 of those are used in nonprofit groups and 2 are small biz. They all create documents that are shared to others in their groups that do not use Linux. If there is no word compatibility there is no real chance they would be interested in it. Anyone know if this is going to be addressed?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Bas Roufs - message in English

Hello Waleed and Dale

*

> very interesting, will probably install and try it out in the next few

> days. you mentioned that export to some MS formats isn't supported, or

> implemented, yet. what about import from these formats? does it exist?

> is it reliable?

*

So far, import seems to goe flawlessly. It is strange - good import possibilities, but only very limited export ones.

In case you feel unsure, you can also consider using eg. LibreOffice for import and export purposes. Both LibreOffice and Calligra have "Open Document Formats" (ODF) as native formats. In general, nothing will block you from using both LibreOffice and Calligra, until the latter suite will have a more complete functionality.

*

> as far as i'm concerned here, PDF is all i need to share my writings,

> but the troublesome part is reading the MS files other people send to me.

> hopefully, if usable enough, calligra will have a new tester and bug

> reporter, to help them get better. i mean really, i don't care much

> about lack of features, incosistency, or the sort, as long as the

> product is usable enough,

As I said above, import goes well in both LibreOffice and Calligra.

I never have problems reading MS documents people send to me.

As long as Calligra is still in the development stage, you can use LibreOffice for the functions that do not or not yet work in Calligra.

*

> i'll help its developers make it better

We all need to do so!

*

> I will definitely install and check this out.

It's really worth trying it.

> However, of the 12 Linux systems IT 4 of those are used in nonprofit groups

> and 2 are small biz. They all create documents that are shared to others in

> their groups that do not use Linux. If there is no word compatibility there

> is no real chance they would be interested in it. Anyone know if this is

> going to be addressed?

*

Wholeheartedly I agree with you. I already started to bring the issue: see Bug 298115 at bugs.kde.org. However, this is not enough. That's why I also bring up the issue at this forum and at "Kubuntu developers". In the mean time, I keep using LibreOffice alongside Kaligra until the latter office suite will have complete import and export facilities.

*

Respectfully yours,

Bas Roufs.