Old 04-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Guus

Default Partitioning question - the outcome

On 12/04/12 13:04, rterry@pacific.net.au wrote:

On Wednesday 11 April 2012 07:59:20 rterry@pacific.net.au wrote:

For anyone interested this is what happened.

I shrunk the windows 7 partition and elected to put the / partition on the
60Gig left on the sdram drive and use the 750gig drive as /home.

Used the beta2 of Kubuntu 12 for the install

Boy, talk about frustrating. Several attemps and each time the install froze
when downloading packages, I think from memory on package 6 of 57 and always
on 6%.

I made sure on a third attempt that update on install and load proprietry
software were not checked - same result.

In desperation I did a last install but pulled out the cable to the router so
that the internet couldn't accessed. This resulted in a quick and painless
install.
In my experience installing from a CD or DVD is always the safest
option. As soon as you combine the internet and CD/DVD install you run
the risk of this kind of problem. I suspect that the trouble depends on
the availability of mirrors: when that runs into trouble, so do you.

My strategy is always a straight, easy install from CD (not too many
packages) and update after install.

I was then able to reboot, connect to the network and install almost all of
the packages I wanted without problems.
Yep, that works best. Not just for Ubuntu and family, but also for
Fedora. The only upgrade I have ever done from the network was an
in-place upgrade where I had the CD ready to overwrite if necessary, and
it worked. IIRC it was Kubuntu or Ubuntu.

However Muon consistantly baulked on updates telling me that I wasn't allowed
to update because something or other was locked (the same message one gets
when trying to install a package from one terminal when your in the process of
doing an install on another - forget the actually wording). Rebooting and
doing nothing else before doing a sudo muon made no difference.

Doing an apt-get update in a terminal worked fine.
I found this bug that describes what you are saying, please check:
http://old.nabble.com/-Bug-285787--New%3A-Muon-cannot-acquire-package-system-lock-p32784352.html

--
Kind regards, Guus Bonnema