Old 04-12-2012, 11:04 AM

Default Partitioning question - the outcome

On Wednesday 11 April 2012 07:59:20 rterry@pacific.net.au wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 April 2012 22:55:34 Paul Kaplan wrote:
> > I have for years kept Kubuntu and Windows on the same physical drive.
> >

> > Currently for a 64-bin install:
> >

> > /dev/sda1 (WinXP) 30GB (same is probably OK for Win7 if you have MS
> > Office and 1-2 other similarly sized programs) /dev/sda2 (/home) 120GB
> > (really whatever isn't used for the other 3 partitions) /dev/sda3 (swap)
> > 6GB (probably should be 8GB for 4GB RAM)
> > /dev/sda4 (/) 10GB (might bump to 12GB if you want to install Gnome as
> > well as KDE, but I've never been higher than ~75% use with KDE only +
> > lots of stuff)
>
> Thanks for your reply - will work along these lines.
>
> > This allows you to do a new install on /dev/sda4 in the future without
> > disrupting /home. Paul

For anyone interested this is what happened.

I shrunk the windows 7 partition and elected to put the / partition on the
60Gig left on the sdram drive and use the 750gig drive as /home.

Used the beta2 of Kubuntu 12 for the install

Boy, talk about frustrating. Several attemps and each time the install froze
when downloading packages, I think from memory on package 6 of 57 and always
on 6%.

I made sure on a third attempt that update on install and load proprietry
software were not checked - same result.

In desperation I did a last install but pulled out the cable to the router so
that the internet couldn't accessed. This resulted in a quick and painless
install.

I was then able to reboot, connect to the network and install almost all of
the packages I wanted without problems.

However Muon consistantly baulked on updates telling me that I wasn't allowed
to update because something or other was locked (the same message one gets
when trying to install a package from one terminal when your in the process of
doing an install on another - forget the actually wording). Rebooting and
doing nothing else before doing a sudo muon made no difference.

Doing an apt-get update in a terminal worked fine.

Another observation, the permissions on /home/user/.kde where not set for the
user.

Regards

richard