FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Katelyn
 
Default kubuntu-users Digest, Vol 87, Issue 14

I love the name Kubuntu. Please don't change it.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 7:00 AM, <kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

Send kubuntu-users mailing list submissions to

* * * *kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com



To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit

* * * *https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

* * * *kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com



You can reach the person managing the list at

* * * *kubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com



When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific

than "Re: Contents of kubuntu-users digest..."





Today's Topics:



* 1. Re: Kubuntu future and the name itself (Anj Tuesday)

* 2. Re: Kubuntu future and the name itself (Dale Trombley)

* 3. Re: Kubuntu future and the name itself (Nils Kassube)





----------------------------------------------------------------------



Message: 1

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:00:50 +0200

From: Anj Tuesday <anj.tuesday@gmx.net>

To: Kubuntu user technical support <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>

Subject: Re: Kubuntu future and the name itself

Message-ID: <6986216.csXIsyXdbP@earthworm>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"



Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2012, 07:53:51 schrieb Steve Cookson:

> > But do we need a new name? Kubuntu has never been a great name, it was

> > actually a joke name made up by the original Ubuntu developers for the

> > KDE side. I wonder if a new name would give us a new lease of life like

> > Calligra has. Suggestions welcome "

>

> I took a strategic decision that W2k would be my last Windows distro, in

> fact I upgraded to XP.

>

> And then I took on a new project and had to choose a system, I chose Kubuntu

> for two reasons:

>

> - It had a more modern-looking desktop

> - It met my technical requirements better than the other distros.

>

> I quite liked that it was part of the "Ubuntu" co-brand. *Think Georgio

> Armani, Armani Jeans, Armani Exchange. It gave Kubuntu a larger foot-print

> because of the other members of the family. *For that reason I feel the

> Kubuntu punches above its weight.

>

> Had I understood about the connection with Debian at the time, this would

> have given me the same feeling, but this is not intuitive from the name.

>

> Maybe it could have been "Debuntuk", to connect to Debian, Ubuntu and KDE in

> one word.

>

> But it's all a bit clunky. *What we in the Linux community don't have it the

> 'Windows' cover name to give every distro the associated values of the

> family.

>

> Maybe it needs a 'nix in the name.

>

> Debuntuknix anyone?

>

> Have a good day.

>

> Steve



K-Tux would be a little gangster, yes?

~Anja

--

(?v?)







------------------------------



Message: 2

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 07:16:00 -0400

From: Dale Trombley <buzzmandt@gmail.com>

To: Kubuntu user technical support <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>

Subject: Re: Kubuntu future and the name itself

Message-ID:

* * * *<CAPQHEAycG93v=O_FeG1Pn5epgoEEN_LVb2mCPFcF7ZapcUP RpQ@mail.gmail.com>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"



I think if it were a brand new project it should have a new name. But the

way I understand it it is still ubuntu+kde. *Joke name or not Kubuntu is

now an established name in the *nix community. *My vote would be stick with

the name everyone knows.

On Apr 11, 2012 6:19 AM, "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:



> On 11/04/12 12:04, Nils Kassube wrote:

>

>> O. Sinclair wrote:

>>

>>> I kind of support that - where as Ubuntu is a word in a language and

>>> has a meaning, Kubuntu (and Xubuntu, Lubuntu et al) does not in

>>> themselves mean anything.

>>>

>>

>> *From<http://en.wikipedia.org/**wiki/Kubuntu#Name<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubuntu#Name>


>>> >:

>>>

>>

>> | "Kubuntu" means "towards humanity" in Bemba, and is derived from

>> | ubuntu ("humanity").

>>

>> *Well you certainly got me on that one.. but let me quote Jonathan from

> his blog that got me started on this:

>

> "We must remain part of Ubuntu, they are a great community for distros and

> we couldn't survive without them. Kubuntu is often incorrectly called a

> "derivative" of Ubuntu but we are part of the Ubuntu family and we are one

> of their flavours which is just where we should be.

>

> New markets? Kubuntu Active is taking shape. I'd love to have TV friendly

> media centre support too for example.

>

> But do we need a new name? Kubuntu has never been a great name, it was

> actually a joke name made up by the original Ubuntu developers for the KDE

> side. I wonder if a new name would give us a new lease of life like

> Calligra has. Suggestions welcome "

>

>

>

>

> --

> kubuntu-users mailing list

> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/**

> mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users<https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users>

>

-------------- next part --------------

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/attachments/20120411/581bdf01/attachment-0001.html>




------------------------------



Message: 3

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:17:39 +0200

From: Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net>

To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Subject: Re: Kubuntu future and the name itself

Message-ID: <201204111317.40016.kassube@gmx.net>

Content-Type: Text/Plain; *charset="iso-8859-1"



O. Sinclair wrote:

> On 11/04/12 12:04, Nils Kassube wrote:

> > O. Sinclair wrote:

> >> I kind of support that - where as Ubuntu is a word in a language

> >> and has a meaning, Kubuntu (and Xubuntu, Lubuntu et al) does not

> >> in themselves mean anything.

> >>

> >>From<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubuntu#Name>:

> > | "Kubuntu" means "towards humanity" in Bemba, and is derived from

> > | ubuntu ("humanity").

>

> Well you certainly got me on that one.. but let me quote Jonathan

> from his blog that got me started on this:

>

> "We must remain part of Ubuntu, they are a great community for

> distros and we couldn't survive without them. Kubuntu is often

> incorrectly called a "derivative" of Ubuntu but we are part of the

> Ubuntu family and we are one of their flavours which is just where

> we should be.

>

> New markets? Kubuntu Active is taking shape. I'd love to have TV

> friendly media centre support too for example.

>

> But do we need a new name? Kubuntu has never been a great name, it

> was actually a joke name made up by the original Ubuntu developers

> for the KDE side. I wonder if a new name would give us a new lease

> of life like Calligra has. Suggestions welcome "



I'm not so sure if the name is a problem. I think it is more a question

of marketing. To paraphrase my first boss (actually he was qouting

someone else): "You may want to give away a lump of gold but you will

only find a taker if you advertise." Take Firefox as an example. They

got their share of the browser market by an advert campaign and not

because of a great name. Or take MS Word as a second example. It is a

common name for a mediocre product but MS dominates the market due to

agressive marketing.





Nils







------------------------------



--

kubuntu-users mailing list

kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users





End of kubuntu-users Digest, Vol 87, Issue 14

*********************************************



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:15 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org