Old 04-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Bruce Marshall

Default oneiric: progress status during boot-time fsck?

On Wednesday, April 11, 2012 09:19:09 AM D. R. Evans wrote:
> How do I get the old detailed fsck progress messages that one normally sees
> on most Linux distros, and we used to see on *buntu?

I believe you can hit escape while the splash screen is up and it will start
showing the boot process.

What I do is:

1) Go edit /etc/default/grub and change the line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

from what it was (quiet splash) I think

and then

update_grub

Next time you reboot, the splash screen is gone.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Thomas Tanghus

On Wednesday 11 April 2012 11:43 Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 11, 2012 09:19:09 AM D. R. Evans wrote:
> > How do I get the old detailed fsck progress messages that one normally
> > sees
> > on most Linux distros, and we used to see on *buntu?
>
> I believe you can hit escape while the splash screen is up and it will start
> showing the boot process.
>
> What I do is:
>
> 1) Go edit /etc/default/grub and change the line:
>
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
>

> from what it was (quiet splash) I think
>

> and then
>
> update_grub

That would be update-grub :-) Thanks for the tip though. I had forgotten where
to do this.

> Next time you reboot, the splash screen is gone.

If you want to get rid of the whole of Plymouth all together, install the
dummy package following the directions at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mountall/+bug/556372/comments/78

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus

Old 04-11-2012, 05:23 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Bruce Marshall said the following at 04/11/2012 09:43 AM :
> On Wednesday, April 11, 2012 09:19:09 AM D. R. Evans wrote:
>> How do I get the old detailed fsck progress messages that one normally sees
>> on most Linux distros, and we used to see on *buntu?
>

> I believe you can hit escape while the splash screen is up and it will start
> showing the boot process.

Hitting ESC just produces a message that says that the filesystem has been
mounted nnn times and a check is being forced. It does not provide the
progress information.

> What I do is:

[stuff elided]

> Next time you reboot, the splash screen is gone.

True, but there is also no progress status for the fsck. Just as with
hitting ESC, I just see a message telling me that a check is being forced.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 04-11-2012, 05:29 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Thomas Tanghus said the following at 04/11/2012 10:11 AM :

> If you want to get rid of the whole of Plymouth all together, install the
> dummy package following the directions at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mountall/+bug/556372/comments/78

Tried that, and although plymouth is no longer present, still all I see
during the fsck is a message that a check is being forced... still no
information about the progress of the fsck.

(The actual message is:
/dev/md2 has been mounted 33 times without being checked, check forced
No fsck progress status messages follow that message.)

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 04-12-2012, 01:55 PM
"D. R. Evans"

D. R. Evans said the following at 04/11/2012 11:23 AM :
> Bruce Marshall said the following at 04/11/2012 09:43 AM :
>> On Wednesday, April 11, 2012 09:19:09 AM D. R. Evans wrote:
>>> How do I get the old detailed fsck progress messages that one normally sees
>>> on most Linux distros, and we used to see on *buntu?

Anyone else any ideas? Surely I'm not the only one who wants to see these
status messages so I can make an informed decision as to when/whether to
cancel an fsck?

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 04-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Nils Kassube

D. R. Evans wrote:

> Anyone else any ideas? Surely I'm not the only one who wants to see
> these status messages so I can make an informed decision as to
> when/whether to cancel an fsck?

Well, I don't really care about the fsck progress messages myself but I
just had a quick look at the init scripts. If I understand it correctly,
the program /sbin/mountall needs a change to add the extra option "-C 0"
to the fsck call. But this is only a pointer where to look, I didn't
test anything.

Nils

Old 04-13-2012, 01:56 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Nils Kassube said the following at 04/12/2012 10:40 AM :

> Well, I don't really care about the fsck progress messages myself but I
> just had a quick look at the init scripts. If I understand it correctly,
> the program /sbin/mountall needs a change to add the extra option "-C 0"
> to the fsck call. But this is only a pointer where to look, I didn't
> test anything.

I suspect that should be "-C 1", since I think stdout has the file
descriptor 1 (0 is stdin, I believe).

It's been a long time since I looked at how Linux boots; where are the init
scripts I should be looking at to make this change?

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 04-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Nils Kassube

D. R. Evans wrote:
> Nils Kassube said the following at 04/12/2012 10:40 AM :
> > Well, I don't really care about the fsck progress messages myself
> > but I just had a quick look at the init scripts. If I understand
> > it correctly, the program /sbin/mountall needs a change to add the
> > extra option "-C 0" to the fsck call. But this is only a pointer
> > where to look, I didn't test anything.
>
> I suspect that should be "-C 1", since I think stdout has the file
> descriptor 1 (0 is stdin, I believe).

Yes, stdout is 1. From "man e2fsck":

| -C fd
[...]
| If the file descriptor specified is 0, e2fsck will print a
| completion bar as it goes about its business. This requires that
| e2fsck is running on a video console or terminal.

That's why I suggested "-C 0". I would expect the output to go to a
video console, if you have no "splash" option for the kernel command
line.

Nils

Old 04-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Nils Kassube

D. R. Evans wrote:
> It's been a long time since I looked at how Linux boots; where are
> the init scripts I should be looking at to make this change?

I searched with the command

sudo grep -lire fsck /etc

The relevant file is "/etc/init/mountall.conf". The fsck program isn't
called directly from the script but by the program /sbin/mountall and
that's why I suggested to change that program. I think you should
generate a new initrd with the command

sudo update-initramfs -c -k $(uname -r)

after changing the program to make it work at the next boot.

Nils

Old 04-13-2012, 03:37 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Nils Kassube said the following at 04/13/2012 09:01 AM :

> sudo grep -lire fsck /etc
>
> The relevant file is "/etc/init/mountall.conf". The fsck program isn't
> called directly from the script but by the program /sbin/mountall and
> that's why I suggested to change that program. I think you should
> generate a new initrd with the command
>
> sudo update-initramfs -c -k $(uname -r)
>
> after changing the program to make it work at the next boot.

Still confused :-(

/sbin/mountall is a binary; so are you saying that I need to find the
source for mountall, figure out how to change it so that is calls fsck
differently, build it, then replace the official version?

I hope that's not what you're saying. It seems crazy to have to do all that
just to get progress information on the fsck.

But perhaps that's why when I googled I found a lot of complaints about the
loss of the progress information, but no one seemed to provide a way to get
it back.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR