Old 04-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Bas Roufs - message in English

Default Webdesign in Kubuntu: what best to use instead of "Quanta Plus"?

Hello everybody

When switching from Kubuntu 11.04 to 11.10, I remarked that "Quanta Plus" is not any more in the repository. When checking this forum and elsewhere, I found out that there "Quanta Plus" seems to be too obsolete.

*

However it may be, at this moment, I am using at least 7 packages for webdesign:

Kompozer - for "WYSIG" web authoring,HTML, CSS and PHP;
Kate for code writing, copying unformatted texts, etc.;
Gwenview for quick and efficient standard operations with image files, like cutting, resizing, etc.;
KSnapshot for copying images into single image files;
Gimp for more complicated projects with image files;
Firefox and other browsers to test the outcome of any web design effort;
"FireFTP" for file transfer to upload new pages to the web.
*

My question is: is there any other package you would recommand me using for web design purposes in Kubuntu 11.10 and 12.04?

Respectfullly yours,

Bas Roufs.

--

Bas G. Roufs MA

Van 't Hoffstraat 1

NL-3514 VT Utrecht

The Netherlands

E. BasRoufs@gmail.com

Mob. +31 6 446 835 10

Tel. +31 30 785 40

Websites in construction:

BasRoufs.eu
Viaconsensus.nl
RainbowGathering.eu
Open source OS: Linux Kubuntu 11.10.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Nigel Ridley

[...]

Inkscape - great for creating SVG files and for manipulating the free ones on
http://openclipart.org/ - which can then be exported as png's.

Nigel

Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 PM
"Richard S. Crawford"

[...]

I definitely miss Quanta+, and I really wish it would be updated for later versions of KDE. Alas, it's probably not to be.
I use Kate for coding purposes, and an in-house graphic designer for the graphics on our site. ;-)

*
--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (richard@underpope.com)*http://www.underpope.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/underpope
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/underpope
Google+: http://gplus.to/underpope

Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Paul Lemmons

I loved Quanta but alas it appears to be forever dead. I have switched
to NetBeans with the PHP extension and it is doing very well for me.
You wont find a PPA for it, though, so you need to download it from
their site: http://netbeans.org/downloads/ and be sure to pick the one
with "php" marked.

--
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both. --Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-12-2012, 04:54 AM
Chuck Peters

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Bas Roufs - message in English
<basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:

> My question is: is there any other package you would recommand me using
> for web design purposes in Kubuntu 11.10 and 12.04?

A couple of other programs which are frequently mentioned are bluefish
and seamonkey, it has a composer mode. Seamonkey in all versions of
Ubuntu is out of date and has security issues... You can get more up
to date versions with ubuntuzilla,
https://launchpad.net/~joe-nationnet/+archive/seamonkey-dev. or
getting it directly from http://www.seamonkey-project.org/.

I thought I read something recently that said a set of plugins for
kdevelop will be used to replace quanta. Perhaps one of the Kubuntu
developers can tell us more...

http://kdevelop.org/ says:
KDevPlatform
is a free, open source set of libraries that can be used as a
foundation for IDE-like programs.
It is programing-language independent, and is planned to be used by
programs like: KDevelop, Quanta, Kile, KTechLab ... etc.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=all&section=all&arch=any&searchon=nam es&keywords=kdev

Chuck

Old 04-12-2012, 05:43 AM
Juan Rodríguez Monti