FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-11-2012, 09:53 AM
"O. Sinclair"
 
Default Kubuntu future and the name itself

It seems exciting times are coming to Kubuntu as from release 12.10
there will be a new corporate sponsor, namely Blue Systems. This was on
Planet KDE, written by Jonathan Riddell:


http://blogs.kde.org/node/4565

In an earlier posting Jonathan mentioned the thought of changing name of
the distro since it will not be as tied up to Ubuntu as before.


I kind of support that - where as Ubuntu is a word in a language and has
a meaning, Kubuntu (and Xubuntu, Lubuntu et al) does not in themselves
mean anything. Think Linux Mint rather, still ubuntu based but with a
name that actually sort of means something.


I am not sure if Jonathan was serious or just going wild that day but I
think it is not a bad idea. What does the list think?


Best regards,
Sinclair

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Loïc Grobol
 
Default Kubuntu future and the name itself

On 11 April 2012 11:53, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems exciting times are coming to Kubuntu as from release 12.10 there
> will be a new corporate sponsor, namely Blue Systems. This was on Planet
> KDE, written by Jonathan Riddell:
>
> http://blogs.kde.org/node/4565
>
> In an earlier posting Jonathan mentioned the thought of changing name of the
> distro since it will not be as tied up to Ubuntu as before.
>
It will still be tied to Ubuntu. I don't have any actual figures, but
I came to Kubuntu from Ubuntu because GNOME was bugging me, and I
expect the same from other users. Ubuntu is the leader for desktop
distros and is a starting point for many new Linuxeiros. It would be
foolish to dismiss this way of getting new users.?
> I kind of support that - where as Ubuntu is a word in a language and has a
> meaning, Kubuntu (and Xubuntu, Lubuntu et al) does not in themselves mean
> anything.
They do mean Ubuntu with KDE, Ubuntu with xfce…
> Think Linux Mint rather, still ubuntu based but with a name that
> actually sort of means something.
>
Assuming that Kubuntu has no meaning, what does that change?
> I am not sure if Jonathan was serious or just going wild that day but I
> think it is not a bad idea. What does the list think?
>
Well, I think you know what I think at least

Cheers,
Loïc.


--
Loïc Grobol.

M1 Mathématiques AMA. Faculté des sciences, Orléans La Source.
M1 Linguistique LAASTIC. Faculté de lettres, langues et sciences
humaines, Orléans La Source.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Kubuntu future and the name itself

O. Sinclair wrote:
> I kind of support that - where as Ubuntu is a word in a language and
> has a meaning, Kubuntu (and Xubuntu, Lubuntu et al) does not in
> themselves mean anything.

From <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubuntu#Name>:

| "Kubuntu" means "towards humanity" in Bemba, and is derived from
| ubuntu ("humanity").


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-11-2012, 10:18 AM
"O. Sinclair"
 
Default Kubuntu future and the name itself

On 11/04/12 12:04, Nils Kassube wrote:

O. Sinclair wrote:

I kind of support that - where as Ubuntu is a word in a language and
has a meaning, Kubuntu (and Xubuntu, Lubuntu et al) does not in
themselves mean anything.



From<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubuntu#Name>:


| "Kubuntu" means "towards humanity" in Bemba, and is derived from
| ubuntu ("humanity").

Well you certainly got me on that one.. but let me quote Jonathan from
his blog that got me started on this:


"We must remain part of Ubuntu, they are a great community for distros
and we couldn't survive without them. Kubuntu is often incorrectly
called a "derivative" of Ubuntu but we are part of the Ubuntu family and
we are one of their flavours which is just where we should be.


New markets? Kubuntu Active is taking shape. I'd love to have TV
friendly media centre support too for example.


But do we need a new name? Kubuntu has never been a great name, it was
actually a joke name made up by the original Ubuntu developers for the
KDE side. I wonder if a new name would give us a new lease of life like
Calligra has. Suggestions welcome "





--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-11-2012, 10:53 AM
"Steve Cookson"
 
Default Kubuntu future and the name itself

> But do we need a new name? Kubuntu has never been a great name, it was
> actually a joke name made up by the original Ubuntu developers for the
> KDE side. I wonder if a new name would give us a new lease of life like
> Calligra has. Suggestions welcome "

I took a strategic decision that W2k would be my last Windows distro, in
fact I upgraded to XP.

And then I took on a new project and had to choose a system, I chose Kubuntu
for two reasons:

- It had a more modern-looking desktop
- It met my technical requirements better than the other distros.

I quite liked that it was part of the "Ubuntu" co-brand. Think Georgio
Armani, Armani Jeans, Armani Exchange. It gave Kubuntu a larger foot-print
because of the other members of the family. For that reason I feel the
Kubuntu punches above its weight.

Had I understood about the connection with Debian at the time, this would
have given me the same feeling, but this is not intuitive from the name.

Maybe it could have been "Debuntuk", to connect to Debian, Ubuntu and KDE in
one word.

But it's all a bit clunky. What we in the Linux community don't have it the
'Windows' cover name to give every distro the associated values of the
family.

Maybe it needs a 'nix in the name.

Debuntuknix anyone?

Have a good day.

Steve


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Anj Tuesday
 
Default Kubuntu future and the name itself

Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2012, 07:53:51 schrieb Steve Cookson:
> > But do we need a new name? Kubuntu has never been a great name, it was
> > actually a joke name made up by the original Ubuntu developers for the
> > KDE side. I wonder if a new name would give us a new lease of life like
> > Calligra has. Suggestions welcome "
>
> I took a strategic decision that W2k would be my last Windows distro, in
> fact I upgraded to XP.
>
> And then I took on a new project and had to choose a system, I chose Kubuntu
> for two reasons:
>
> - It had a more modern-looking desktop
> - It met my technical requirements better than the other distros.
>
> I quite liked that it was part of the "Ubuntu" co-brand. Think Georgio
> Armani, Armani Jeans, Armani Exchange. It gave Kubuntu a larger foot-print
> because of the other members of the family. For that reason I feel the
> Kubuntu punches above its weight.
>
> Had I understood about the connection with Debian at the time, this would
> have given me the same feeling, but this is not intuitive from the name.
>
> Maybe it could have been "Debuntuk", to connect to Debian, Ubuntu and KDE in
> one word.
>
> But it's all a bit clunky. What we in the Linux community don't have it the
> 'Windows' cover name to give every distro the associated values of the
> family.
>
> Maybe it needs a 'nix in the name.
>
> Debuntuknix anyone?
>
> Have a good day.
>
> Steve

K-Tux would be a little gangster, yes?
~Anja
--
(v)

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Dale Trombley
 
Default Kubuntu future and the name itself

I think if it were a brand new project it should have a new name. But the way I understand it it is still ubuntu+kde.* Joke name or not Kubuntu is now an established name in the *nix community.* My vote would be stick with the name everyone knows.


On Apr 11, 2012 6:19 AM, "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
On 11/04/12 12:04, Nils Kassube wrote:


O. Sinclair wrote:


I kind of support that - where as Ubuntu is a word in a language and

has a meaning, Kubuntu (and Xubuntu, Lubuntu et al) does not in

themselves mean anything.





From<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubuntu#Name>:




| "Kubuntu" means "towards humanity" in Bemba, and is derived from

| ubuntu ("humanity").




Well you certainly got me on that one.. but let me quote Jonathan from his blog that got me started on this:



"We must remain part of Ubuntu, they are a great community for distros and we couldn't survive without them. Kubuntu is often incorrectly called a "derivative" of Ubuntu but we are part of the Ubuntu family and we are one of their flavours which is just where we should be.




New markets? Kubuntu Active is taking shape. I'd love to have TV friendly media centre support too for example.



But do we need a new name? Kubuntu has never been a great name, it was actually a joke name made up by the original Ubuntu developers for the KDE side. I wonder if a new name would give us a new lease of life like Calligra has. Suggestions welcome "










--

kubuntu-users mailing list

kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Kubuntu future and the name itself

O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 11/04/12 12:04, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > O. Sinclair wrote:
> >> I kind of support that - where as Ubuntu is a word in a language
> >> and has a meaning, Kubuntu (and Xubuntu, Lubuntu et al) does not
> >> in themselves mean anything.
> >>
> >>From<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubuntu#Name>:
> > | "Kubuntu" means "towards humanity" in Bemba, and is derived from
> > | ubuntu ("humanity").
>
> Well you certainly got me on that one.. but let me quote Jonathan
> from his blog that got me started on this:
>
> "We must remain part of Ubuntu, they are a great community for
> distros and we couldn't survive without them. Kubuntu is often
> incorrectly called a "derivative" of Ubuntu but we are part of the
> Ubuntu family and we are one of their flavours which is just where
> we should be.
>
> New markets? Kubuntu Active is taking shape. I'd love to have TV
> friendly media centre support too for example.
>
> But do we need a new name? Kubuntu has never been a great name, it
> was actually a joke name made up by the original Ubuntu developers
> for the KDE side. I wonder if a new name would give us a new lease
> of life like Calligra has. Suggestions welcome "

I'm not so sure if the name is a problem. I think it is more a question
of marketing. To paraphrase my first boss (actually he was qouting
someone else): "You may want to give away a lump of gold but you will
only find a taker if you advertise." Take Firefox as an example. They
got their share of the browser market by an advert campaign and not
because of a great name. Or take MS Word as a second example. It is a
common name for a mediocre product but MS dominates the market due to
agressive marketing.


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Bas Roufs - message in English
 
Default Kubuntu future and the name itself

Hello Everybody

*

> I think if it were a brand new project it should have a new name. But the

> way I understand it it is still ubuntu+kde. Joke name or not Kubuntu is

> now an established name in the *nix community. My vote would be stick with

> the name everyone knows.

*

Also I really prefer to stick to the name "Kubuntu". A new name would need a lot of extra marketing effort.

From retrospective point of view, the partly withdrawel of Canonical as sponsor of Kubuntu might be a blessing in disguise. Now, there are in fact several sponsors:

"Blue Systems";
the Ubuntu and Kubuntu communities;
still Canonical;
......
*

This creates a much more healthy, independent situation.

We could consider bringing together Kubuntu related projects in a kind of cooperative enterprise: with a view to spreading our resources a bit more.

Respectfully yours,

Bas Roufs.
--

Bas G. Roufs MA

Van 't Hoffstraat 1

NL-3514 VT Utrecht

The Netherlands

E. BasRoufs@gmail.com

Mob. +31 6 446 835 10

Tel. +31 30 785 40

Websites in construction:

BasRoufs.eu
Viaconsensus.nl
RainbowGathering.eu
Open source OS: Linux Kubuntu 11.10.
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 04-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Ryan Gauger
 
Default Kubuntu future and the name itself

On 04/11/2012 06:17 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:

O. Sinclair wrote:


On 11/04/12 12:04, Nils Kassube wrote:


O. Sinclair wrote:


I kind of support that - where as Ubuntu is a word in a language
and has a meaning, Kubuntu (and Xubuntu, Lubuntu et al) does not
in themselves mean anything.

From<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubuntu#Name>:


| "Kubuntu" means "towards humanity" in Bemba, and is derived from
| ubuntu ("humanity").



Well you certainly got me on that one.. but let me quote Jonathan
from his blog that got me started on this:

"We must remain part of Ubuntu, they are a great community for
distros and we couldn't survive without them. Kubuntu is often
incorrectly called a "derivative" of Ubuntu but we are part of the
Ubuntu family and we are one of their flavours which is just where
we should be.

New markets? Kubuntu Active is taking shape. I'd love to have TV
friendly media centre support too for example.

But do we need a new name? Kubuntu has never been a great name, it
was actually a joke name made up by the original Ubuntu developers
for the KDE side. I wonder if a new name would give us a new lease
of life like Calligra has. Suggestions welcome "



I'm not so sure if the name is a problem. I think it is more a question
of marketing. To paraphrase my first boss (actually he was qouting
someone else): "You may want to give away a lump of gold but you will
only find a taker if you advertise." Take Firefox as an example. They
got their share of the browser market by an advert campaign and not
because of a great name. Or take MS Word as a second example. It is a
common name for a mediocre product but MS dominates the market due to
agressive marketing.


Nils


Even though Kubuntu will (starting with 12.10) be sponsored by Blue
Systems, I think the name should stay the same. I (like a lot of
other people on this list) think that the name "Kubuntu" is not the
best name, but I do not know how the public would react to a change
in names. It will still be based off of Ubuntu, and will still
continue to use KDE by default, so I think the name should stay the
same. But marketing could change. The public DOES need to know that
Kubuntu has changed sponsors. The website design could change, and I
think a new logo for Kubuntu is needed. They have always been basing
the Kubuntu logo off of Ubuntu's. Maybe no change, but text below
the logo "Sponsored by Blue Systems". Just a thought...



Nils: Microsoft did not get their share from aggressive marketing.
That may be a reason, but not the reason. The reason was
because Microsoft enabled companies to view their source, not steal
it, but view it, so that users/companies could create programs and
utilities for Windows that would be able to modify the registry
components, Windows components, etc.. Apple did not allow companies
to view any of their source or information, which allowed companies
and users limited space on where their programs could go. Companies
did not want to mess with trying to figure out how to get their
Windows programs to work on Mac OS, so most programs (like they are
today) were built for Windows, not Mac OS, which explains why
Windows has the majority of the market share today: because they
were open AND because people knew about it. So in response to what
you said, I do think that aggressive marketing is needed, but when
doing this, emphasise on the things already being advertised on the
web (Ubuntu ads on Google Ads), but also focus on how Ubuntu is
completely open-source. So you are definitely right, people do not
know about Ubuntu. I think Canonical should start not only
advertising on the web, but also on TV's. People who spend most of
their time watching TV and not computers are less-likely to see the
web ads, and you are also just about certainly going to catch a
broader audience. I think if the ads interest people, they will
most-likely want to try out this free operating system, Ubuntu. And
then, maybe they will want to try out more flavours of Ubuntu, like
Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc.. Thanks!



---Ryan



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:00 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org