Old 04-10-2012, 11:08 PM
John

Default Another partitioning question

Hi All,

I know that I cannot have more than fifteen partitions on any one device, but
does anyone else have a problem with trying to use the installer and over ten
partitions?

With two hard drives, the eleventh partition to format (so ten plus a couple
of swaps is OK) kills the installation no matter which order or combination I
start with.

/dev/sda1 / ext3
/dev/sda2 none swap
/dev/sda3 /home ext3
/dev/sda5 /var ext3
/dev/sda6 /tmp ext3
/dev/sda7 /ain ext3
/dev/sda8 /everest ext3
/dev/sda9 /k2 ext3
/dev/sda10 /kang ext3
/dev/sdb1 /lhotse ext3
/dev/sdb2 none swap
/dev/sdb3 /makalu ext3

As soon as I try to add in /dev/sdb5 /chooyu as ext3 if crashes the install.

Regards
John

Old 04-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Bruce Marshall

On Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:08:51 AM John wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I know that I cannot have more than fifteen partitions on any one device,
> but does anyone else have a problem with trying to use the installer and
> over ten partitions?
>
> With two hard drives, the eleventh partition to format (so ten plus a
> couple of swaps is OK) kills the installation no matter which order or
> combination I start with.

Welcome to the club. Ubiquity has always crashed for me for the last 4 or 5
releases. And it is totally messed up in b12.04 beta 2. I tried to
install today using only 3 partitions.... /, /boot, and /home because it
would crash if I tried more.

But once I got into the install, the installer was looping in ubiquity at
100% CPU and the install went no where.

The work around to your problem is to NOT list all of your partitions in the
install, but to add them in later.

And lots of luck getting things installed. I've given up on 12.04 until the
RC comes out.