-   -   Kernel -14 and -15 won't boot (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/65463-kernel-14-15-wont-boot.html)

Blue Rose 04-07-2008 10:40 AM

Kernel -14 and -15 won't boot

Hey all,

I run Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE3.. I got some updates recently, first kernel
-14 then kernel -15, but neither of them will boot.. I get the Kubuntu
logo with the blue loading bar.. nothing happens.. Alt+F2 shows me this

Starting up
<few minutes go by>
Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/9c60e178-a4eb-48d0-936e-26962c7f48e3 does not
exist.
Dropping to a shell!

Busybox 1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands

(initramfs)_

No clue what all this is, I'm fairly new to linux...
Rebooting (Ctrl Alt Del) and delecting the -12 kernel in the grub menu
works fine.. Kubuntu loads and works right away..

Can anyone explain what's going on here? Error in the updates? Or is it
something with my computer?

Cheers
Linda

Nils Kassube 04-07-2008 11:41 AM

Kernel -14 and -15 won't boot

Blue Rose wrote:
> I run Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE3.. I got some updates recently, first
> kernel -14 then kernel -15, but neither of them will boot.. I get the
> Kubuntu logo with the blue loading bar.. nothing happens.. Alt+F2 shows
> me this
>
> Busybox 1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
>
> No clue what all this is, I'm fairly new to linux...

For someone new to linux I wouldn't recommend to run beta software :)

> Rebooting (Ctrl Alt Del) and delecting the -12 kernel in the grub menu
> works fine.. Kubuntu loads and works right away..
>
> Can anyone explain what's going on here? Error in the updates? Or is it
> something with my computer?

Sorry, I can't explain, but if the -12 kernel works but not -14 / -15 you
could search at <https://bugs.launchpad.net/> if it is a known bug. If it
isn't known already, you could file a new bug report there - maybe it is
specific to your hardware.

Other than that, you could try Kubuntu 7.10 which is still the latest
stable version. Or if you really want to keep 8.04, you could uninstall
the -14 and -15 kernel versions. Then -12 will be the default again. But
beware, during the next update don't inadvertently reinstall the -14
or -15 kernel.

Nils

Blue Rose 04-07-2008 11:55 AM

Kernel -14 and -15 won't boot

Hey Nils,
Thanks for your fast reply :-)
I have tried Kubuntu 7.04 and 7.10 in the past year, but there was
always something not working quite right, so I ended up back in winXP...
8.04 however works perfectly so far :-) just not those kernels.. -12
works fine so I will just select that one in the grub menu. In the
previous kubuntu's I had trouble with my Ati card (the much loved radeon
9250.. find problem thread on that one all over the (k)ubuntuforums..)
But in 8.04 no prob yet, even direct rendering worked out of the box ^_^

I will take a look on launchpad otherwise I'll wait for -16 or so, and
see if that one works :-)

Thanks again

Cheers
Linda

Nils Kassube 04-07-2008 12:08 PM

Kernel -14 and -15 won't boot

Blue Rose wrote:
> I have tried Kubuntu 7.04 and 7.10 in the past year, but there was
> always something not working quite right, so I ended up back in
> winXP... 8.04 however works perfectly so far :-) just not those
> kernels.

OK, then I can understand why you prefer 8.04.

> In the previous kubuntu's I had trouble with my Ati card (the
> much loved radeon 9250.. find problem thread on that one all over the
> (k)ubuntuforums..) But in 8.04 no prob yet, even direct rendering
> worked out of the box ^_^

I have one of those 9250 here as a spare part - good to know it is usable
again :)

Nils

David McGlone 04-07-2008 08:10 PM

Kernel -14 and -15 won't boot

On Monday 07 April 2008 7:55:05 am Blue Rose wrote:
> Hey Nils,
> Thanks for your fast reply :-)
> I have tried Kubuntu 7.04 and 7.10 in the past year, but there was
> always something not working quite right, so I ended up back in winXP...
> 8.04 however works perfectly so far :-) just not those kernels.. -12
> works fine so I will just select that one in the grub menu. In the
> previous kubuntu's I had trouble with my Ati card (the much loved radeon
> 9250.. find problem thread on that one all over the (k)ubuntuforums..)
> But in 8.04 no prob yet, even direct rendering worked out of the box ^_^
>
> I will take a look on launchpad otherwise I'll wait for -16 or so, and
> see if that one works :-)
>
> Thanks again
>
> Cheers
> Linda
>
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Blue Rose wrote:
> >> I run Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE3.. I got some updates recently, first
> >> kernel -14 then kernel -15, but neither of them will boot.. I get the
> >> Kubuntu logo with the blue loading bar.. nothing happens.. Alt+F2 shows
> >> me this
> >>
> >> Busybox 1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
> >>
> >> No clue what all this is, I'm fairly new to linux...
> >
> > For someone new to linux I wouldn't recommend to run beta software :)
> >
> >> Rebooting (Ctrl Alt Del) and delecting the -12 kernel in the grub menu
> >> works fine.. Kubuntu loads and works right away..
> >>
> >> Can anyone explain what's going on here? Error in the updates? Or is it
> >> something with my computer?
> >
> > Sorry, I can't explain, but if the -12 kernel works but not -14 / -15 you
> > could search at <https://bugs.launchpad.net/> if it is a known bug. If it
> > isn't known already, you could file a new bug report there - maybe it is
> > specific to your hardware.
> >
> > Other than that, you could try Kubuntu 7.10 which is still the latest
> > stable version. Or if you really want to keep 8.04, you could uninstall
> > the -14 and -15 kernel versions. Then -12 will be the default again. But
> > beware, during the next update don't inadvertently reinstall the -14
> > or -15 kernel.

Blue, did you download the restricted driver for your ATI card? In system
settings using the restricted driver applet?

Blue Rose 04-07-2008 08:19 PM

Kernel -14 and -15 won't boot

No, the restricted driver applet (which I of course clicked to see what
it was)
tell me that my system wouldn't need a restricted driver... and
remembering the hassle I had in 7.10 trying to get my card to work
properly with direct rendering and all... I just left it at the standard
out-of-the-box driver that 8.04 provided.. "ati" I think.
Works good enough so far, haven't tried games yet.. but I'm not much of
a gamer anyways..

My Kubuntu is basically still the fresh install plus updates. No fancy
drivers or whatever. I only ubuntuzilla-ed thunderbird and forefox onto
it, and got a fancontrol script starting automatically (see posts in
this list from last week)..

Cheers
Linda