-   -   lost my grub on the way to 12.04 (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/654111-lost-my-grub-way-12-04-a.html)

Errol Sapir 04-09-2012 10:48 AM

lost my grub on the way to 12.04

A funny (and annoying) thing happened when I upgraded from 11.10
to 12.04 beta. I did the upgrade as described on the Kubuntu site
with the "kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade" command and everything
went smoothly. I took a long walk, had a cup of coffee and came
back to the computer to be asked whether I wanted to remove
obsolete packages. I did and then restarted. That's when my
troubles started.

After rebooting, instead of getting the GUI grub menu I got a
grub menu (the same grub menu I always had) typed in the bios
format. When attempting to go into any of the grub menu lines I
got a message "partition not recognised" and no amount of changing
the grub with the "e" command fixed any of that.

My solution was to boot my computer using the "super grub" disk.
I then got into my perfectly upgraded Kubuntu and was able to
work. BUT every time I rebooted I had to use the "super grub"
disk. Eventually I did apt-get install (grub) and removed and
manipulated the apt-get with all sorts of suggestions (such as use
-f). When eventually the apt-get install grub installed without
errors (after many trials) the computer was able to reboot and go
to my grub and work without "super grub".

Wondering if others had a similar problem and why all this
happened on what was a really smooth upgrade.I am very happy with
12.04 and everything is working well despite it being a beta. Well
done Kubuntu developers (with or without canonical help).

Errol