Old 04-06-2008, 08:37 PM
andrew

Default kmail

I've noticed a couple of strange things with kmail 1.9.1:

when accessing a pop server with leave mail on server checked with
keep only the last 100 messages checked it seems to delete all
messages from the server.

when redirecting a mail it accepts the e-mail address to redirect to
and puts a copy in the sent mail folder BUT the redirected mail
never seems to go or arrive and the copy in the sent box has my
e-mail address in the to: field.

Now I am aware of these they do not create a problem for me but I
wonder what is going wrong?

Andrew Heggie

Old 04-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Anton Rolls

Hi Andrew,

andrew wrote:
> I've noticed a couple of strange things with kmail 1.9.1:
>
> when accessing a pop server with leave mail on server checked with
> keep only the last 100 messages checked it seems to delete all
> messages from the server.
>
> when redirecting a mail it accepts the e-mail address to redirect to
> and puts a copy in the sent mail folder BUT the redirected mail
> never seems to go or arrive and the copy in the sent box has my
> e-mail address in the to: field.
>
> Now I am aware of these they do not create a problem for me but I
> wonder what is going wrong?
>
> Andrew Heggie

I suggest you search "All open kmail bugs" here:
http://pim.kde.org/development/bugs.php

If your bugs are not there already, then you can submit them.

If you're really interested in finding out what's going
on, then you can use a tool like wireshark to trap the
POP traffic.

Regards,

Anton.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:56 PM
andrew

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 11:49, Anton Rolls wrote:
> > when redirecting a mail it accepts the e-mail address to
> > redirect to and puts a copy in the sent mail folder BUT the
> > redirected mail never seems to go or arrive and the copy in the
> > sent box has my e-mail address in the to: field.

> I suggest you search "All open kmail bugs" here:
> http://pim.kde.org/development/bugs.php

Thanks Anton, I couldn't find a similar bug report but am hesitant to
make one in case there's something I have done wrong in configuring
Kmail.

> If you're really interested in finding out what's going
> on, then you can use a tool like wireshark to trap the
> POP traffic.

A member of our local lug has suggested much the same and will show
me what's what at our next meet.

Andrew

Old 07-22-2008, 04:30 PM
"Daniele Papale"

I can't send mail with kmail. The server responds: 5.5.1 Authentication Required. The problem is that with the same settin in thunderbird all work fine!! This is really frustrating

Old 07-22-2008, 04:48 PM
"Daniele Papale"

imap.gmail.com port: 993 ssl
smtp.gmail.com port: 587 tls

2008/7/22 Gordon Schulz <gordon.schulz@gmail.com>:

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:30, Daniele Papale <noguchi150@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't send mail with kmail. The server responds: 5.5.1 Authentication

> Required. The problem is that with the same settin in thunderbird all work

> fine!! This is really frustrating

What are those settings?

--

Greetings,

* * * *Gordon.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Gordon Schulz

Old 07-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Gordon Schulz

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:48, Daniele Papale <noguchi150@gmail.com> wrote:

> imap.gmail.com port: 993 ssl
> smtp.gmail.com port: 587 tls

Hmm, weird. Just configured my KMail with the exact same settings and it
just worked (also using GMail). Double checked your username/password in
the SMTP/General settings dialog? Authentication Method set to Plain?
--
Greetings,
Gordon.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:11 PM
"Daniele Papale"

It's a little bit embarassing for me but you're right. thank you so much!!!

Old 07-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Pastor JW

On Tuesday 22 July 2008 09:30:22 am Daniele Papale wrote:
> I can't send mail with kmail. The server responds: 5.5.1 Authentication
> Required. The problem is that with the same settin in thunderbird all work
> fine!! This is really frustrating

The setting are in "Config KMail", "Accounts", "Sending". To modify, see in
the "General" tab that the "Server requires authentication" is not checked.
Also check in the security tab that encryption says "none". Also check that
you indeed have the correct spelling for your smtp server. I had a two day
problem trying to get mine to send mail and had entered the address as
smpt.xmail.com rather than smtp.xmail.com, I never saw it was wrong!

Now, if you DO need Authentication, recheck your password. On my account that
needs this, KDE wallet caused so many problems with it that I finally found
out how to disable it. Life got MUCH better!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 07-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Gordon Schulz

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:11, Daniele Papale <noguchi150@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's a little bit embarassing for me but you're right. thank you so much!!!
Happens. Glad a little poking helped.
--
Gordon.