Old 03-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Maurizio Marini

Default KMail

On Thursday 25 February 2010 03:49:51 am John Aldrich wrote:
> Quoting Terry Polzin <foxec208@wowway.com>:
> > Happened to me too, I just restarted the desktop and all appears to be
> > well.
>
> Wish it worked for me... :-( I just restarted my box and Akonadi is
> STILL trying to start after 2 minutes of KMail trying to start. :-(

have u solved it?
i was in your condition today, after 5 hours of pains, i deleted
~/.kde/share/apps/kmail

when i stated kmail it came up, without accounts, but all the mails (9 years
of mails) were there

--
Maurizio Marini

A. Because people read from top to bottom.
Q. Why should I not top post?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Daniel D Jones

I was one of those bitten by the upgrade to KMail back in October. After
spending nearly two days without access to email while trying to get the
upgrade and migration to work, I gave up and pinned KMail to version 4.4.11.1.

With the recent upgrade to KDE, I'm curious if anyone knows whether the bugs
have been worked out and the KMail upgrade will go smoother now?

--
"Marriage, n. A community consisting of a master, a mistress, and two slaves,
making in all two." - Ambrose Bierce

Old 02-10-2012, 02:23 AM
Frank Steinmetzger

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 06:33:12PM -0500, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> I was one of those bitten by the upgrade to KMail back in October. After
> spending nearly two days without access to email while trying to get the
> upgrade and migration to work, I gave up and pinned KMail to version 4.4.11.1.
>
> With the recent upgrade to KDE, I'm curious if anyone knows whether the bugs
> have been worked out and the KMail upgrade will go smoother now?

I tried it as soon as the 4.8 upgrade was done. After I added an IMAP
resource, it didn't show up in the folder pane, although its folders were
listed in the dialog where one can select folder subscriptions (right click in
folder pane→Manage local subscriptions).

I have no interest right now to bother with it, I became fairly happy with
mutt. ^^
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

“Hello, my friend! You can say you to me!” – Helmut Kohl

Old 02-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Mick

On Friday 10 Feb 2012 03:23:11 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 06:33:12PM -0500, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> > I was one of those bitten by the upgrade to KMail back in October. After
> > spending nearly two days without access to email while trying to get the
> > upgrade and migration to work, I gave up and pinned KMail to version
> > 4.4.11.1.
> >
> > With the recent upgrade to KDE, I'm curious if anyone knows whether the
> > bugs have been worked out and the KMail upgrade will go smoother now?
>
> I tried it as soon as the 4.8 upgrade was done. After I added an IMAP
> resource, it didn't show up in the folder pane, although its folders were
> listed in the dialog where one can select folder subscriptions (right click
> in folder pane→Manage local subscriptions).
>
> I have no interest right now to bother with it, I became fairly happy with
> mutt. ^^

Does anyone know if this fork is offering a KDEPIM that actually works?

http://www.trinitydesktop.org/
Mick

Old 02-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Donnerstag, 9. Februar 2012, 18:33:12 schrieb Daniel D Jones:
> I was one of those bitten by the upgrade to KMail back in October. After
> spending nearly two days without access to email while trying to get the
> upgrade and migration to work, I gave up and pinned KMail to version
> 4.4.11.1.
>
> With the recent upgrade to KDE, I'm curious if anyone knows whether the bugs
> have been worked out and the KMail upgrade will go smoother now?

I switched a long time ago, so I can't say anything about 'smoother' but it
does work, as long as you remove all mail ressources and add them back one
after another.
--
#163933

Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Mick

On Saturday 11 Feb 2012 07:47:41 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 9. Februar 2012, 18:33:12 schrieb Daniel D Jones:
> > I was one of those bitten by the upgrade to KMail back in October. After
> > spending nearly two days without access to email while trying to get the
> > upgrade and migration to work, I gave up and pinned KMail to version
> > 4.4.11.1.
> >
> > With the recent upgrade to KDE, I'm curious if anyone knows whether the
> > bugs have been worked out and the KMail upgrade will go smoother now?
>
> I switched a long time ago, so I can't say anything about 'smoother' but it
> does work, as long as you remove all mail ressources and add them back one
> after another.

Unfortunately, it does not work here on my test x86 stable box. I have
removed and added each resource more than a dozen times. POP3 seems to
broadly work (but it creates duplicate messages which once deleted are
recreated) and IMAP4 does not show any messages in the Inbox. The
kaddressbook does not show the addresses.

I've tried deleting akonadi databases, adding the resources or importing them
and starting again many, many times to come to the conclusion that in my set
up it just won't work. I hope that code progress eventually restores
functionality which I consider absolutely basic - i.e. to be able to read my
messages and use my addresses.

Having wasted far too much time for no positive result I'm now in hope that
trinity desktop will come up with a solution that I was sorry to see left
behind - KDE 3.5.
Mick

Old 02-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Jrg Schaible

Mick wrote:

> On Saturday 11 Feb 2012 07:47:41 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, 9. Februar 2012, 18:33:12 schrieb Daniel D Jones:
>> > I was one of those bitten by the upgrade to KMail back in October.
>> > After spending nearly two days without access to email while trying to
>> > get the upgrade and migration to work, I gave up and pinned KMail to
>> > version 4.4.11.1.
>> >
>> > With the recent upgrade to KDE, I'm curious if anyone knows whether the
>> > bugs have been worked out and the KMail upgrade will go smoother now?
>>
>> I switched a long time ago, so I can't say anything about 'smoother' but
>> it does work, as long as you remove all mail ressources and add them back
>> one after another.
>
> Unfortunately, it does not work here on my test x86 stable box. I have
> removed and added each resource more than a dozen times. POP3 seems to
> broadly work (but it creates duplicate messages which once deleted are
> recreated) and IMAP4 does not show any messages in the Inbox. The
> kaddressbook does not show the addresses.
>
> I've tried deleting akonadi databases, adding the resources or importing
> them and starting again many, many times to come to the conclusion that in
> my set
> up it just won't work. I hope that code progress eventually restores
> functionality which I consider absolutely basic - i.e. to be able to read
> my messages and use my addresses.

I successfully imported two installations with IMAP accounts. On both system
the automated migration failed.

At one installation IMAP server was Courier and the mails were kept all on
the server, here I had to delete and recreate the accounts.

The other installation used IMAP to access MS Exchange server and my account
has typically no mail on the server, but all locally. After recreating my
account, none of my local mail was available anymore. However I simply had
to move (well, with backup) the contents of the old maildir folders to the
new one and all I had to do in KMail was to refresh the folders manually.
That was really fast - especially compared to that lengthly and unsuccessful
migration attempt.

Local addresses resources had to be recreated, an LDAP resource worked after
migration.

Nevertheless, it often feels like a 1.0 version, the old 4.4.x line had less
bugs.

> Having wasted far too much time for no positive result I'm now in hope
> that trinity desktop will come up with a solution that I was sorry to see
> left behind - KDE 3.5.

Yes, some apps in KDE4 are still not at the same level, however, a lot are
better. Unfortunately it seems those not-yet-at-same level are the more
essential ones.

Cheers,
Jrg

Old 02-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Daniel D Jones

On Saturday, February 11, 2012 03:18:53 Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 11 Feb 2012 07:47:41 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 9. Februar 2012, 18:33:12 schrieb Daniel D Jones:
> > > I was one of those bitten by the upgrade to KMail back in October.
> > > After spending nearly two days without access to email while trying to
> > > get the upgrade and migration to work, I gave up and pinned KMail to
> > > version 4.4.11.1.
> > >
> > > With the recent upgrade to KDE, I'm curious if anyone knows whether the
> > > bugs have been worked out and the KMail upgrade will go smoother now?
> >
> > I switched a long time ago, so I can't say anything about 'smoother' but
> > it does work, as long as you remove all mail ressources and add them
> > back one after another.
>
> Unfortunately, it does not work here on my test x86 stable box. I have
> removed and added each resource more than a dozen times. POP3 seems to
> broadly work (but it creates duplicate messages which once deleted are
> recreated) and IMAP4 does not show any messages in the Inbox. The
> kaddressbook does not show the addresses.
>
> I've tried deleting akonadi databases, adding the resources or importing
> them and starting again many, many times to come to the conclusion that in
> my set up it just won't work. I hope that code progress eventually
> restores functionality which I consider absolutely basic - i.e. to be able
> to read my messages and use my addresses.
>
> Having wasted far too much time for no positive result I'm now in hope that
> trinity desktop will come up with a solution that I was sorry to see left
> behind - KDE 3.5.

Your experience sounds similar to mine. I tried everything I could to get it
working with limited success to say the least. I'm using POP3 to a server
sitting right here on the same local network, no IMAP. Still had the problem
with duplicate emails, unable to import my fairly large archives of old email,
etc.

I don't have any desire to go back to KDE 3.5 - I like the 4.x changes to KDE.

I'm assuming then the upgrade to 4.8 didn't fix KDE and I'll just leave it
pinned for now.

--
"God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent -- it says so right here on
the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine

Old 02-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Jens Reinemuth

Am Donnerstag, 9. Februar 2012, 18:33:12 schrieb Daniel D Jones:
> I was one of those bitten by the upgrade to KMail back in October. After
> spending nearly two days without access to email while trying to get the
> upgrade and migration to work, I gave up and pinned KMail to version
> 4.4.11.1.
>
> With the recent upgrade to KDE, I'm curious if anyone knows whether the bugs
> have been worked out and the KMail upgrade will go smoother now?

Just stay with 4.4.x! Akonadi/Nepomuk/... is imho not ready for daily use
right now! I got 4.8 running in Kubuntu and its a real pain, even with the 8GB
Ram in the company-laptop!

In private i will never switch! If someday you can't use the older Versions
with actual KDE i will use Thunderbird...

Jens