FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-25-2010, 12:39 AM
Jorge Fábregas
 
Default KMail

On Wednesday 24 February 2010 17:52:41 John Aldrich wrote:
> sigh I wish I'd known about the KDE4.4 problems... pisses me off that stuff
> that should have been better tested was pushed out broken!

For that same reason, before I apply a bunch of udpates I'll boot my machine
with SystemRescueCD in order to create an image of my root filesystem using
"partiamge". That way, if something goes terribly wrong I can revert back
easily.


HTH,
Jorge

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-25-2010, 12:45 AM
Jorge Fábregas
 
Default KMail

On Wednesday 24 February 2010 20:15:48 Kevin Kempter wrote:
> I never (ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever...) run any updates (no
> matter how insignificant they seem) without first running an rsync of my
> system to a backup directory. It's pretty fast given that it's a diff and
> in the inevitable case of occasional problems I can rsync my system back
> to a perfect "before I ran the updates" state if needed.

Hi,

I agree. I just posted on this thread that I do an image before applying any
updates.

I'm wondering...when you rsync back (if you have problems with updates)...do
you switch to single-user mode or boot off from CD in order to execute rsync?

Best regards,
Jorge
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Kevin Kempter
 
Default KMail

On Wednesday 24 February 2010 18:45:32 Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 February 2010 20:15:48 Kevin Kempter wrote:
> > I never (ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever...) run any updates (no
> > matter how insignificant they seem) without first running an rsync of my
> > system to a backup directory. It's pretty fast given that it's a diff
> > and in the inevitable case of occasional problems I can rsync my system
> > back to a perfect "before I ran the updates" state if needed.
>
> Hi,
>
> I agree. I just posted on this thread that I do an image before applying
> any updates.
>
> I'm wondering...when you rsync back (if you have problems with
> updates)...do you switch to single-user mode or boot off from CD in order
> to execute rsync?

single user mode


>
> Best regards,
> Jorge
>
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-25-2010, 01:48 AM
John Aldrich
 
Default KMail

Quoting Kevin Kempter <kevink@consistentstate.com>:
> FWIW:
>
> I never (ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever...) run any updates (no
> matter how insignificant they seem) without first running an rsync
> of my system
> to a backup directory. It's pretty fast given that it's a diff and in the
> inevitable case of occasional problems I can rsync my system back to
> a perfect
> "before I ran the updates" state if needed.
>
>
> This approach has saved me loads of grief, I highly recommend it.
>
Nice if you have the space or another machine to sync to. I have neither.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-25-2010, 01:49 AM
Sawrub
 
Default KMail

On 02/25/2010 07:15 AM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 February 2010 20:15:48 Kevin Kempter wrote:
>
>> I never (ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever...) run any updates (no
>> matter how insignificant they seem) without first running an rsync of my
>> system to a backup directory. It's pretty fast given that it's a diff and
>> in the inevitable case of occasional problems I can rsync my system back
>> to a perfect "before I ran the updates" state if needed.
>>
> Hi,
>
> I agree. I just posted on this thread that I do an image before applying any
> updates.
>
> I'm wondering...when you rsync back (if you have problems with updates)...do
> you switch to single-user mode or boot off from CD in order to execute rsync?
>
> Best regards,
> Jorge
>

@Jorge :
The process seems to be great, can you please document the whole thing
of backing up.

--
Saurabh Sharma
Linux user number: 490644
http://sawrub-blog.blogspot.com/
Open your doors.......It's time to look beyond Windows

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-25-2010, 01:49 AM
John Aldrich
 
Default KMail

Quoting Terry Polzin <foxec208@wowway.com>:
>
> Happened to me too, I just restarted the desktop and all appears to be well.
>
Wish it worked for me... :-( I just restarted my box and Akonadi is
STILL trying to start after 2 minutes of KMail trying to start. :-(
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-25-2010, 02:04 AM
Jorge Fábregas
 
Default KMail

On Wednesday 24 February 2010 22:49:18 Sawrub wrote:
> The process seems to be great, can you please document the whole thing
> of backing up.

Hello Sawrub,

Check the thread that Antonio started. I just replied there with the
essentials you need to know. Feel free to ask there.

Best regards,
Jorge
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-25-2010, 02:27 AM
Kevin Kempter
 
Default KMail

> On 02/25/2010 07:15 AM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> > On Wednesday 24 February 2010 20:15:48 Kevin Kempter wrote:
> >> I never (ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever...) run any updates
> >> (no matter how insignificant they seem) without first running an rsync
> >> of my system to a backup directory. It's pretty fast given that it's a
> >> diff and in the inevitable case of occasional problems I can rsync my
> >> system back to a perfect "before I ran the updates" state if needed.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I agree. I just posted on this thread that I do an image before applying
> > any updates.
> >
> > I'm wondering...when you rsync back (if you have problems with
> > updates)...do you switch to single-user mode or boot off from CD in order
> > to execute rsync?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Jorge
>
> @Jorge :
> The process seems to be great, can you please document the whole thing
> of backing up.
>


See my scripts attached

I have them all staged in a directory /stage/rsync and I run 'em as root

The rsync_backup script runs rsync from each directory in the dirlist file and
sync's it into /stage/backup. I skip directories such as /dev, /media, /mnt
and sys


In the case of a restore I run rsync_restore.sh in single user mode

The rsync_restore does the reverse for all directories except for /home since
in most cases I dont want or need to restore my /home dir

bin
boot
etc
home
lib
lib64
lost+found
opt
root
sbin
selinux
srv
tmp
usr
var
bin
boot
etc
lib
lib64
lost+found
misc
net
opt
root
sbin
selinux
srv
tmp
usr
var
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-25-2010, 05:19 AM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default KMail

John Aldrich wrote:
> Who's brilliant idea was it to push out a broken update anyway???

It works just fine for most people.

Unfortunately, it's hard to tell what exactly is going wrong for you without
further information.

Kevin Kofler

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-25-2010, 10:05 AM
John Aldrich
 
Default KMail

Quoting Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at>:

> John Aldrich wrote:
>> Who's brilliant idea was it to push out a broken update anyway???
>
> It works just fine for most people.
>
> Unfortunately, it's hard to tell what exactly is going wrong for you without
> further information.
>
>
interesting. All I know is that Akonadiserver hangs on starting up
KMail. At this point KMail becomes unresponsive and eventually
Akonadiserver will crash, taking KMail with it.

Anyone know how to un-link the two programs? Akonadiserver is a piece
of crap, as far as I'm concerned.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:13 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org