Old 02-24-2010, 08:27 PM
John Aldrich

Default KMail

WTF is up with KMail? Ever since I installed a bunch of updates this
morning, KMail started having problems. I got a brilliant idea and
decided to see if restarting KMail would solve the problem. Well, it
didn't. It caused more problems. Now I can't send *anything* and
there's a message on my system (at home -- logged into it from remote)
stating "starting akonadi server." Now WTF is that and why is it not
starting???

Old 02-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 16:27 -0500, John Aldrich wrote:
> WTF is up with KMail? Ever since I installed a bunch of updates this
> morning, KMail started having problems. I got a brilliant idea and
> decided to see if restarting KMail would solve the problem. Well, it
> didn't. It caused more problems. Now I can't send *anything* and
> there's a message on my system (at home -- logged into it from remote)
> stating "starting akonadi server." Now WTF is that and why is it not
> starting???

Did you update to KDE 4.4? If so, check recent postings on the Fedora
KDE list. There are some problems with akonadi. See
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/kde

poc

Old 02-24-2010, 08:45 PM
John Aldrich

Quoting Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com>:

> Did you update to KDE 4.4? If so, check recent postings on the Fedora
> KDE list. There are some problems with akonadi. See

Apparently I did update to KDE 4.4. Who's brilliant idea was it to
push out a broken update anyway??? That was *really* freakin'
brilliant! I realize Fedora is a "test bed" but you'd think they'd at
least make sure they didn't send out any broken updates!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:52 PM
John Aldrich

Quoting Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com>:

> Did you update to KDE 4.4? If so, check recent postings on the Fedora
> KDE list. There are some problems with akonadi. See

FWIW, I'm still on F11 and it's been working great until this morning
when I noticed the system was acting like it was trying to get my
attention to update... so I used the SSH console I was in to start the
update and noticed a bunch of updates come through... *sigh* I wish
I'd known about the KDE4.4 problems... pisses me off that stuff that
should have been better tested was pushed out broken!

Old 02-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 16:52 -0500, John Aldrich wrote:
> Quoting Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com>:
> >
> > Did you update to KDE 4.4? If so, check recent postings on the Fedora
> > KDE list. There are some problems with akonadi. See
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/kde
> >
> FWIW, I'm still on F11 and it's been working great until this morning
> when I noticed the system was acting like it was trying to get my
> attention to update... so I used the SSH console I was in to start the
> update and noticed a bunch of updates come through... *sigh* I wish
> I'd known about the KDE4.4 problems... pisses me off that stuff that
> should have been better tested was pushed out broken!

Perhaps you should subscribe to the KDE list.

poc

Old 02-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 16:52 -0500, John Aldrich wrote:
> Quoting Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com>:
> >
> > Did you update to KDE 4.4? If so, check recent postings on the Fedora
> > KDE list. There are some problems with akonadi. See
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/kde
> >
> FWIW, I'm still on F11 and it's been working great until this morning
> when I noticed the system was acting like it was trying to get my
> attention to update... so I used the SSH console I was in to start the
> update and noticed a bunch of updates come through... *sigh* I wish
> I'd known about the KDE4.4 problems... pisses me off that stuff that
> should have been better tested was pushed out broken!
----
you should use Windows or Macintosh because those OS's never push out
any broken updates.

;-)

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Kevin Kempter

> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 16:52 -0500, John Aldrich wrote:
> > Quoting Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com>:
> > > Did you update to KDE 4.4? If so, check recent postings on the Fedora
> > > KDE list. There are some problems with akonadi. See
> > > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/kde
> >
> > FWIW, I'm still on F11 and it's been working great until this morning
> > when I noticed the system was acting like it was trying to get my
> > attention to update... so I used the SSH console I was in to start the
> > update and noticed a bunch of updates come through... *sigh* I wish
> > I'd known about the KDE4.4 problems... pisses me off that stuff that
> > should have been better tested was pushed out broken!
>
> ----
> you should use Windows or Macintosh because those OS's never push out
> any broken updates.
>
> ;-)
>
> Craig

FWIW:

I never (ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever...) run any updates (no
matter how insignificant they seem) without first running an rsync of my system
to a backup directory. It's pretty fast given that it's a diff and in the
inevitable case of occasional problems I can rsync my system back to a perfect
"before I ran the updates" state if needed.

This approach has saved me loads of grief, I highly recommend it.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Terry Polzin

On Wednesday February 24 2010 16:27:26 John Aldrich wrote:
> WTF is up with KMail? Ever since I installed a bunch of updates this
> morning, KMail started having problems. I got a brilliant idea and
> decided to see if restarting KMail would solve the problem. Well, it
> didn't. It caused more problems. Now I can't send *anything* and
> there's a message on my system (at home -- logged into it from remote)
> stating "starting akonadi server." Now WTF is that and why is it not
> starting???
Happened to me too, I just restarted the desktop and all appears to be well.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Antonio Olivares

> ----
> you should use Windows or Macintosh because those OS's
> never push out
> any broken updates.
>
> ;-)
> --

Again NOT TRUE

A colleague of mine applied Windows Update (TM) and upon rebooting, she was greeeted with the BSOD (TM) patented by Microsoft. A blue screen was generated and the machine cycled through rebooting back and forth, system restore did not help either. Probably malware that changed the machine(windows kernel?) and new update(patch) wrecked the machine. No remedy but to back up the data(thanks to linux, it was done), put in back the Windows CD and restore back the machine

But a good try for the humor

Regards,

Antonio

Old 02-25-2010, 12:34 AM
Craig White

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 17:24 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > ----
> > you should use Windows or Macintosh because those OS's
> > never push out
> > any broken updates.
> >
> > ;-)
> > --
>
> Again NOT TRUE

----
I think you failed to notice the sarcasm of my comment

Craig

believed to be clean.