Old 04-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Nigel Henry

Default How to get rid of Dolphin, and use Konqueror as file manager

I have to admit that Dolphin is the worst file manager I have seen, and want
to get rid of it. I've always used Konqueror as a file manager on my distros
that use KDE, and have no problems with it.

I've managed to creat a link to application for the Konqueror file manager on
my desktop, and that works ok, but I also have links on the desktop to
harddrive partitions on another drive. If I click on these, they still insist
on using Dolphin to display directories/files on these partitions.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of Dolphin, and how to be able to use
Konqueror as "the" global file manager, as I do on all my other Linux distros
that use KDE.

Thanks for any help.

Nigel.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Nils Kassube

Nigel Henry wrote:
> Any suggestions on how to get rid of Dolphin, and how to be able to use
> Konqueror as "the" global file manager, as I do on all my other Linux
> distros that use KDE.

Just uninstall that dolphin package using your favourite package magement
tool.

Nils

Old 04-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Nigel Henry

On Saturday 05 April 2008 23:19, Nigel Henry wrote:
> I have to admit that Dolphin is the worst file manager I have seen, and
> want to get rid of it. I've always used Konqueror as a file manager on my
> distros that use KDE, and have no problems with it.
>
> I've managed to creat a link to application for the Konqueror file manager
> on my desktop, and that works ok, but I also have links on the desktop to
> harddrive partitions on another drive. If I click on these, they still
> insist on using Dolphin to display directories/files on these partitions.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get rid of Dolphin, and how to be able to use
> Konqueror as "the" global file manager, as I do on all my other Linux
> distros that use KDE.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Nigel.

Sorry for the noise. I've just removed Dolphin using synaptic, and now
everything is back to normal, with Konqueror being used as the default file
manager.

Nigel.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:48 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/4/5 Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr>:
> I have to admit that Dolphin is the worst file manager I have seen, and want
> to get rid of it. I've always used Konqueror as a file manager on my distros
> that use KDE, and have no problems with it.
>
> I've managed to creat a link to application for the Konqueror file manager on
> my desktop, and that works ok, but I also have links on the desktop to
> harddrive partitions on another drive. If I click on these, they still insist
> on using Dolphin to display directories/files on these partitions.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get rid of Dolphin, and how to be able to use
> Konqueror as "the" global file manager, as I do on all my other Linux distros
> that use KDE.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Nigel.

There was a thread on this but i can't find it now. The solution if i
remebmer right
was:

Open kcontrol, go to KDE-Components->Filebindings->inode (roughly
translated from swedish)
select directory and system_directory and in the "Application
preference order" list move Konqueror
above Dolphin.

/ Jonas

Old 04-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Nigel Henry

On Saturday 05 April 2008 23:32, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Any suggestions on how to get rid of Dolphin, and how to be able to use
> > Konqueror as "the" global file manager, as I do on all my other Linux
> > distros that use KDE.
>
> Just uninstall that dolphin package using your favourite package magement
> tool.
>

> Nils

Thanks for your reply Nils. I'd just removed Dolphin before receiving your
reply. Now everything is back to normal.

Many thanks for the quick responses to questions put to the list.

Nigel.