Old 04-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Nils Kassube

Default Big doubt on Kubuntu 8.04

Cary Bielenberg wrote:
> That's a bit harsh!

Yes, that's true, but I like to be sure it is gone. But if you have a
system used by several people, there might be someone who misses dolphin.

> My thought would be it will be reinstalled during a
> upgrade as it is a default app,

No, until now it didn't reappear due to upgrades.

> I was hoping there would be something I
> could edit to force Konqueror as the default FM

Sorry, can't help you there.

Nils

Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/4/8 Cary Bielenberg <cary@bielenberg.id.au>:
> That's a bit harsh! My thought would be it will be reinstalled during a
> upgrade as it is a default app, I was hoping there would be something I
> could edit to force Konqueror as the default FM
>

> Cary

It has been answered at least two times on this list. Here is what i
wrote last this
subject came up.

8< -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There was a thread on this but i can't find it now. The solution if i
remember right was:

Open kcontrol, go to KDE-Components->Filebindings->inode (roughly
translated from swedish)
select directory and system_directory and in the "Application
preference order" list move Konqueror
above Dolphin.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Eduard Fabra

Hi Cary,

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 08:25:32PM +1000, Cary Bielenberg wrote:

> That's a bit harsh! My thought would be it will be reinstalled during a
> upgrade as it is a default app, I was hoping there would be something I
> could edit to force Konqueror as the default FM

There is an entry for that in the Kubuntu FAQ:

http://www.kubuntu.org/faq.php#konqueror

It says the following:

=====BEGIN QUOTE FROM KUBUNTU FAQ=====
Kubuntu comes with a simplified Konqueror profile to make things more
use friendly compared to default KDE.

To get back to the default KDE profiles:

sudo rm -r
/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde-profile/default/share/apps/konqueror
[this one not needed in gutsy] sudo cp
/usr/share/apps/konqueror/konqueror-orig.rc
/usr/share/apps/konqueror/konqueror.rc

To enable Konqueror to open tar and zip files:

rm -r /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde-profile/default/share/mimelnk/application/
=====END QUOTE FROM KUBUNTU FAQ=====

Hope it helps,
--
Eduard.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Cary Bielenberg

I tried that but that is for kde3 not 4 It threw lots of errors & still
gave me Dolphin as def FM But there was a suggestion on prior post to
fix! I saw it before but couldn't find it when I was looking.

Cary

Old 04-08-2008, 09:10 PM
"Andrew Jarrett"

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 7:19 AM, Cary Bielenberg <cary@bielenberg.id.au> wrote:
> I tried that but that is for kde3 not 4 It threw lots of errors & still
> gave me Dolphin as def FM But there was a suggestion on prior post to
> fix! I saw it before but couldn't find it when I was looking.
>
> > To get back to the default KDE profiles:
> >
> > sudo rm -r
> > /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde-profile/default/share/apps/konqueror
> > [this one not needed in gutsy] sudo cp
> > /usr/share/apps/konqueror/konqueror-orig.rc
> > /usr/share/apps/konqueror/konqueror.rc

These commands just remove the kubuntu flair from Konqueror. They
will give you the default KDE Konqi profiles, but won't switch your
default file manager. Jonas' post should help you out with switching
file managers.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Old 04-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Cary Bielenberg

Thanks Jonas, I couldn't find kcontrol in my KDE4 menu so I added it by
creating a link to app via the desktop. Your translation was spot on ;-)

Cary

Old 04-09-2008, 09:14 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/4/8 Cary Bielenberg <cary@bielenberg.id.au>:
> Thanks Jonas, I couldn't find kcontrol in my KDE4 menu so I added it by
> creating a link to app via the desktop. Your translation was spot on ;-)

Your welcome!

There are no menu link for kcontrol in Kubuntu 7.10. It's one of thous thing
that really annoys me. Why replace one working good program that has
worked for long with another buggy not fully functional? It's same
with Konqueror
vs. Dolphin.

/ Jonas

Old 04-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Nigel Henry

On Wednesday 09 April 2008 11:14, Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2008/4/8 Cary Bielenberg <cary@bielenberg.id.au>:
> > Thanks Jonas, I couldn't find kcontrol in my KDE4 menu so I added it by
> > creating a link to app via the desktop. Your translation was spot on ;-)
>
> Your welcome!
>
> There are no menu link for kcontrol in Kubuntu 7.10. It's one of thous
> thing that really annoys me. Why replace one working good program that has
> worked for long with another buggy not fully functional? It's same with
> Konqueror
> vs. Dolphin.
>
> / Jonas

Hi Jonas. You can get the missing menu items onto KDE's menu, as I found out
from the KDE list. See below.

sudo kwrite (or whatever editor you use)
navigate to /usr/share/applications/kde/kcontrol.destop , and open it.

At the bottom of the file is a line "NoDisplay=true" . Change the true to
false, and Kcontrol will appear on the menu like magic.

Same goes for any other apps you normally use that arn't on the menu.

I too prefer Kcontrol.

All the best.

Nigel.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:58 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/4/9 Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr>:

> On Wednesday 09 April 2008 11:14, Jonas Norlander wrote:
> > 2008/4/8 Cary Bielenberg <cary@bielenberg.id.au>:
> > > Thanks Jonas, I couldn't find kcontrol in my KDE4 menu so I added it by
> > > creating a link to app via the desktop. Your translation was spot on ;-)
> >
> > Your welcome!
> >
> > There are no menu link for kcontrol in Kubuntu 7.10. It's one of thous
> > thing that really annoys me. Why replace one working good program that has
> > worked for long with another buggy not fully functional? It's same with
> > Konqueror
> > vs. Dolphin.
> >
> > / Jonas
>
> Hi Jonas. You can get the missing menu items onto KDE's menu, as I found out
> from the KDE list. See below.
>
> sudo kwrite (or whatever editor you use)
> navigate to /usr/share/applications/kde/kcontrol.destop , and open it.
>
> At the bottom of the file is a line "NoDisplay=true" . Change the true to
> false, and Kcontrol will appear on the menu like magic.
>
> Same goes for any other apps you normally use that arn't on the menu.
>
> I too prefer Kcontrol.
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.

Thanks!

Good to know. You learn something new every day.