Old 11-27-2007, 04:22 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default No deflate rar option in konqueror

In older versions of KDE/Kubuntu I had a contect menu option on
konqueror for unpacking rar/tar/zip archives. I no longer have that.
How can it be enabled? Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 11-28-2007, 12:12 AM
Anton Rolls

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> In older versions of KDE/Kubuntu I had a contect menu option on
> konqueror for unpacking rar/tar/zip archives. I no longer have that.
> How can it be enabled? Thanks in advance.
>
> Dotan Cohen

I installed unrar-free via Adept, then
symlinked /usr/bin/unrar -> unrar-free
I think that's all I had to do, then
Konqueror started working.

Anton.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:44 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 28/11/2007, Anton Rolls <anton@wilddsl.net.au> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > In older versions of KDE/Kubuntu I had a contect menu option on
> > konqueror for unpacking rar/tar/zip archives. I no longer have that.
> > How can it be enabled? Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
>
> I installed unrar-free via Adept, then
> symlinked /usr/bin/unrar -> unrar-free
> I think that's all I had to do, then
> Konqueror started working.
>
> Anton.

Thanks. To _where_ did you symlink /usr/bin/unrar? Not to /home/user,
as your post implies? I currently have /usr/bin/unrar-free, but my
problem is that I need it to show up in the context menu in Konqueror,
as zip and tar do.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Juan Carlos Torres

On Wednesday 28 November 2007 3:44:46 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 28/11/2007, Anton Rolls <anton@wilddsl.net.au> wrote:
> > I installed unrar-free via Adept, then
> > symlinked /usr/bin/unrar -> unrar-free
> > I think that's all I had to do, then
> > Konqueror started working.
> >
> > Anton.
>
> Thanks. To _where_ did you symlink /usr/bin/unrar? Not to /home/user,
> as your post implies? I currently have /usr/bin/unrar-free, but my
> problem is that I need it to show up in the context menu in Konqueror,
> as zip and tar do.

You don't need to symlink anything. Just install "unrar" (if you don't have
philosophical/moral arguments about using it).

As for those context menus, you need to have Ark installed for those (it
should be, by default).

Old 11-28-2007, 10:16 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 28/11/2007, Juan Carlos Torres <carlosdgtorres@gmail.com> wrote:

> You don't need to symlink anything. Just install "unrar" (if you don't have
> philosophical/moral arguments about using it).

No problems, and it's installed.

> As for those context menus, you need to have Ark installed for those (it
> should be, by default).

Ark is installed. When I rightclick on a zip file, I have a context
menu: (translated from Hebrew) Deflate -> Here || <folderName> ||
To...

However, I do not have those options for rar files.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Donn

> However, I do not have those options for rar files.
The answer might be in the .desktop file for ark. I seem to have several
around the place, but here's one:

/etc# cat /usr/share/apps/d3lphin/servicemenus/ark_extract.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
X-SuSE-translate=true
Encoding=UTF-8
ServiceTypes=application/x-gzip,application/x-lha,application/x-tar,application/x-tgz,application/x-tbz,application/x-tbz2,application/x-zip,application/x-bzip,application/x-tzo,application/x-lzop,application/x-rar,application/x-rar-compressed,application/x-zoo,application/x-tarz,application/x-archive,application/x-bzip2,application/x-jar,application/x-deb,application/x-ace,application/x-7z,application/x-arc,application/x-arj,application/x-compress,application/x-cpio,application/x-pak
Actions=extractHere

[Desktop Action extractHere]
Name=Extract Here
Name[de]=Hierher entpacken
Exec=ark --extract-to %d %u
Icon=ark

Seems like you could add rar into that list of ServiceTypes.

Just a wild stab in the dark Perhaps there's an apt-getty way of doing
this.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:38 AM
Anton Rolls

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> I installed unrar-free via Adept, then
>> symlinked /usr/bin/unrar -> unrar-free
>> I think that's all I had to do, then
>> Konqueror started working.
>>
>> Anton.
>
> Thanks. To _where_ did you symlink /usr/bin/unrar? Not to /home/user,
> as your post implies? I currently have /usr/bin/unrar-free, but my
> problem is that I need it to show up in the context menu in Konqueror,
> as zip and tar do.
>
> Dotan Cohen

To the same directory.
But now I'm not sure that just getting a version of unrar
installed is what will fix your context menu.
I can't quite remember all the things I did to install unrar ability.
Did I have to mess around in Konqueror settings ?
Try to go to Settings / Configure Konqueror... / File Associations /
application / x-rar
Then check that "Ark" is in the Application Preference Order box.
Might shed some light.

Regards,

Anton.