Old 04-04-2008, 02:58 PM
"Michael Sutter"

Default Hardy and xmms

Hello,

I have upgraded from gutsy to hardy. Now I'm missing xmms player. Does anybody know how to solve this problem as I like to use this player.

Kind regards
Michael

Old 04-04-2008, 03:28 PM
"guido dom"

I have the same problem. Streamtuner wants XMMS to play the streamed music. It seems impossible to change the default player in the config file.
Is there any hope?

I have upgraded from gutsy to hardy. Now I'm missing xmms player. Does anybody know how to solve this problem as I like to use this player.

Kind regards
Michael

Tel:+32 (0)58 239804**+32 (0)497 538736

Nog een mooie dag toegewenst.

Guido (dompie) Dom
Registered Linux (Ubuntu) User # 462578

Old 04-04-2008, 04:00 PM
"Myriam Schweingruber"

Hi folks,

On 04/04/2008, guido dom <guido.dom@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the same problem. Streamtuner wants XMMS to play the streamed music.
> It seems impossible to change the default player in the config file.
> Is there any hope?
>
> 2008/4/4, Michael Sutter <Sutter@gmx.li>:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have upgraded from gutsy to hardy. Now I'm missing xmms player. Does
> anybody know how to solve this problem as I like to use this player.

Why not use the default Amarok player? XMMS is old software and not
supported anymore AFAIK. I'm pretty sure that you can listen to your
streams with Amarok.

Greets

Myriam

--
Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!
http://www.fsfe.org

Old 04-04-2008, 04:59 PM
"guido dom"

Yes, if I could change the default player in the "Preferences" tab.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Donn

> Why not use the default Amarok player?
Frankly, Amarok is slow and sucks the life out of my machine.

> XMMS is old software and not
> supported anymore AFAIK.
I didn't know it was not being developed, but it works in Gutsy and I've used
it for years on other distros and it's fast and light. It really should be
available!

Old 04-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Thilo Six

Donn wrote the following on 04.04.2008 19:15

>> Why not use the default Amarok player?
> Frankly, Amarok is slow and sucks the life out of my machine.
>
>> XMMS is old software and not
>> supported anymore AFAIK.
> I didn't know it was not being developed, but it works in Gutsy and I've used
> it for years on other distros and it's fast and light. It really should be
> available!

it has been removed from the archives in Debian and Ubuntu (and other distros
i am aware of).
If you want to know why - google for it, you will find a lot really lenghty
discussions about that.

HTH
--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 04-04-2008, 05:25 PM
lanzen

On Friday 04 April 2008 19:15:17 Donn wrote:

> I didn't know it was not being developed, but it works in Gutsy and I've
> used it for years on other distros and it's fast and light. It really
> should be available!

Maybe it can be compile from source:
http://www.xmms.org/

And there's this xmms2 going on.

Oh yeah, er... I love amarok

--
lanzen

Old 04-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Scott

guido dom wrote:
> I have the same problem. Streamtuner wants XMMS to play the streamed
> music. It seems impossible to change the default player in the config file.
> Is there any hope?
In Streamtuner go to preferences. Click on the Applications tab.
Everywhere you see xmms click on it and change it to amarok (or the name
of your favourite player). From there on streamtuner will use that
player. I have always used Amarok with streamtuner without any problems.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 7.10

Old 04-05-2008, 08:07 AM
"guido dom"

It is - as far as I'm able to do it - impossible to make streamtuner understand that another player should be used.
I always get: "Impossible to tune in. XMMS is no file or directory".
I tried to install a downloaded version of xmms (with ./configure, ...) but ./configure stops with the message: "GLIB cannot be found"

sudo apt-get install GLIB is no solution.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:07 AM
"Myriam Schweingruber"

On 05/04/2008, guido dom <guido.dom@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is - as far as I'm able to do it - impossible to make streamtuner
> understand that another player should be used

Well, so let's do it step by step:

0) Start Streamtuner
1) Go to the "Edit" menu and then click on the "Preferences" option
2) in the "Applications" menu, go to the right side and left click on
"xmms %q" to select it
3) replace "xmms %q" with "amarok %q" everywhere there is an xmms
occurence, i.e. for "Listen to a .m3u file" and "Listen to a stream"
4) close the Preference window and select a stream
5) it will open Amarok as the default player and you can listen to the
music you selected

If this does not work for you, I suggest you reinstall either
Streamtuner and/or Amarok, but I just did the above in my Kubuntu 8.04
and see no problem so far, it plays the stream with Amarok.

Greets

Myriam