Old 04-04-2008, 12:08 AM
"Kevin B. O'Brien"

Default Best app for ripping CDs

I have a CD that I want to rip into ogg tracks to play on my Amrok
jukebox. I used to use K3b to do this, but it is not working properly
any more. What would you suggest would be the best app for doing this?

Thank you,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
nadreck@palain.com Linux User #333216

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve
it through not dying." -- Woody Allen

Old 04-04-2008, 12:11 AM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> I have a CD that I want to rip into ogg tracks to play on my Amrok
> jukebox. I used to use K3b to do this, but it is not working properly
> any more. What would you suggest would be the best app for doing this?

Grip

Old 04-04-2008, 06:23 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> I have a CD that I want to rip into ogg tracks to play on my Amrok
> jukebox. I used to use K3b to do this, but it is not working properly
> any more. What would you suggest would be the best app for doing this?
>
> Thank you,

KAudiocreator, should be in the reps

Sinclair

Old 04-04-2008, 08:08 AM
John L Fjellstad

"Kevin B. O'Brien" <nadreck@palain.com> writes:

> I have a CD that I want to rip into ogg tracks to play on my Amrok
> jukebox. I used to use K3b to do this, but it is not working properly
> any more. What would you suggest would be the best app for doing this?

I use abcde. It's command line. Otherwise, you could just use KDE.
Open the CD in filebrowser (konqueor/dolphin). There should be a
directory with ogg, mp3 and flac. Copy the files to your hard disk.

--
John L. Fjellstad
web: http://www.fjellstad.org/ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Old 04-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Constantinos Maltezos

If I might also make a simple suggestion, I find Konqueror (I think Dolphin does the same thing) to be the easiest solution for me, especially when I need only configure it once (through kcontrol - don't know if system settings has the module for this) and then it's as easy as inserting the CD, creating a directory and a quick drag and drop.

In the services menus for Konqueror (the thing that pops up on the left hand side), one of them contains an audio CD browser.* When an audio CD is inserted and KDE does a cddb lookup for it, you can click on the audio CD browser and it acts just like a folder, with subfolders for mp3, ogg, flac, cda and wav, plus an "info" file that shows the cddb entry.* From here, I enter the ogg directory and see filenames set up the way I specified in
kcontrol (in my case, it's the track number followed by the track name followed by .ogg, since I set up a folder for the artist and then a subfolder for the album - an example of a track would be "03 Caravanserai.ogg").* I just drag them to another Konqueror/Dolphin window and the ripping process begins with a standard KDE copy progress dialogue.* I haven't seen this feature mentioned very often, and I think it's a neat one.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 AM
"Antonio Pérez"

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Constantinos Maltezos
<pandarsson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If I might also make a simple suggestion, I find Konqueror (I think Dolphin
> does the same thing) to be the easiest solution for me, especially when I
> need only configure it once (through kcontrol - don't know if system
> settings has the module for this) and then it's as easy as inserting the CD,
> creating a directory and a quick drag and drop.

Yes, the "audiocd:/" kioslave. I like this one too.

--
Saludos:
Antonio Pérez

Old 04-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Brendan

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Thursday 03 April 2008, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> > I have a CD that I want to rip into ogg tracks to play on my Amrok
> > jukebox. I used to use K3b to do this, but it is not working properly
> > any more. What would you suggest would be the best app for doing this?
>
> Grip

Seconded. Even easier when set with "Rip on Audio CD insert".

Old 04-05-2008, 11:19 PM
"Kevin B. O'Brien"

Brendan wrote:
> On Thursday 03 April 2008, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 03 April 2008, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
>>
>>> I have a CD that I want to rip into ogg tracks to play on my Amrok
>>> jukebox. I used to use K3b to do this, but it is not working properly
>>> any more. What would you suggest would be the best app for doing this?
>>>
>> Grip
>>

> Seconded. Even easier when set with "Rip on Audio CD insert".

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Grip seems to be doing it very well.

Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
nadreck@palain.com Linux User #333216

"I have not failed. I have discovered 1,000 things that do not work." --
Thomas Edison

Old 05-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Thomas Olsen

On Saturday 05 April 2008 22:07:15 Brendan wrote:
> On Thursday 03 April 2008, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 April 2008, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> > > I have a CD that I want to rip into ogg tracks to play on my Amrok
> > > jukebox. I used to use K3b to do this, but it is not working properly
> > > any more. What would you suggest would be the best app for doing this?
> >
> > Grip
>
> Seconded. Even easier when set with "Rip on Audio CD insert".

What about Konqueror? Just type audiocd:/ in the location bar and drag
whatever encoding to wherever you want it. It's not that fast but very
intuitive.

/Thomas