Old 02-24-2012, 09:38 AM
"Bas G. Roufs "

Default Netbook with Kubuntu 11.04: how best to tame :-) an uncontrollably jumping cursor? SOLVED.

Dear Everybody

Thanks for all the replies that have come in this thread.

A perfectly well workable solution I found in the mean time in this direction:

> You may also want to try synaptiks (in the kde-config-touchpad

> package), which allows you to configure the touchpad to be disabled

> when keyboard activity is detected and turned back on after a

> configurable delay.

The package "kde-config-touchpad" does show up as follows: SYSTEM SETTINGS > Hardware > Input devices > touchpad. However, it is better to evoke it via ALT F2 > give in the search window "Synaptiks". Then, click at "Synaptics touchpad management". Now, a gui appears containing a menu with two parts:

"touchpad management"
"touchpad configuration".
"Touchpad management" does not show up via SYSTEM SETTINGS > Hardware > Input devices > touchpad. That's why, it's better to set "kde-config-touchpad" in motion via ALT F2.

In "Touchpad management" I have checked two boxes:

"Automatically switch off touchpad if a mouse is plugged in".
"Automatically switch off touchpad on keyboard activity".
In "Touchpad Configuration" I have switched off and disabled various options.

In the tab "Hardware settings" I have left UNchecked the box "The touchpad is circular". All other settings I have kept as they are.

In the tab "Cursor motion" I have UNchecked the box "Continue cursor motion when hitting the touchpad edge, for all movements, not only dragging." The speed and acceleration settings I keep as they are.

In the tab "Scrolling" I have UNchecked all the boxes I could uncheck. But I have kept the settings "Move distance to scroll a single line" as "110".

In the tab "tapping" I have unchecked and disabled all the option available there.

As a matter of result, both the mouse and the touchpad work like a charm now. And moreover: the cursor does not jump anymore.

Respectfully yours,

Bas Roufs.

--

====

Bas G. Roufs MA

Van 't Hoffstraat 1

NL-3514 VT Utrecht

+31 30 785 20 40

+31 6 446 835 10

BasRoufs@gmail.com

OS: Linux Kubuntu 11.04, kubuntu.org

Websites in construction:

* rainbowgathering.eu

* basroufs.eu

* viaconsensus.nl

Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 AM
"O. Sinclair"

[...]

As I finally found - it can also be found in kde menu "Utilities" - and
can be set to autostart as a tray "app" on login