FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Brian Wootton
 
Default Netbook with Kubuntu 11.04: how best to tame an, uncontrollably jumping cursor? (Bas G. Roufs )

On 23/02/2012 13:59, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

Hello everybody.

Ever since a few months I had troubles again with an uncontrollably jumping
cursor: at my netbook Asus 1001 HA along with Kubuntu 11.04. I type quickly
and blind. The cursor often suddenly jumped to another position unexpectedly,
while typing.
A few minutes ago, I took a look at: SYSTEM SETTINGS> input devices>
touchpad. There, I scrutinised the tabs "scrolling" and "tapping". In both
tabs, I ended up in UNchecking or disabling every option I could handle in
either way. Later today or tomorrow, I will tell whether this measure works
effectively.
My question for now is: can someone recommend me any other measure with a view
to taming:-) the jumping cursor? Any thoughts?
Thanks for replying, respectfully yours,
Bas.

A friend of mine had this problem on his netbook, we tried everything
but couldn't
cure it. We finally decided his netbook had a too sensitive touch pad
and parts of

his fingers/hands/wrists/clothing were touching it while he was typing.
The only solution we could find was to plug in a USB mouse and disable
the
touchpad altogether. A bit of a pain to have to carry a mouse as well
as a netbook
on his travels but it reduced the number of 'expletive/deleted's
considerably.

brian

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Carlo Vanini
 
Default Netbook with Kubuntu 11.04: how best to tame an, uncontrollably jumping cursor? (Bas G. Roufs )

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, February 23, 2012 05:45:52 PM Brian Wootton wrote:
>> > My question for now is: can someone recommend me any other measure with
>> > a view to taming:-) *the jumping cursor? Any thoughts?
>> > Thanks for replying, respectfully yours,
>> > Bas.
>
> Try using * gpointing-device-settings *which you may have to start from a
> command line. *But it brings up a gui that will let you turn off tapping and
> scrolling on the touchpad *and possibly set the sensitivity of the touchpad.
>
>

You may also want to try synaptiks (in the kde-config-touchpad
package), which allows you to configure the touchpad to be disabled
when keyboard activity is detected and turned back on after a
configurable delay.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-24-2012, 05:17 AM
"O. Sinclair"
 
Default Netbook with Kubuntu 11.04: how best to tame an, uncontrollably jumping cursor? (Bas G. Roufs )

On 23/02/12 23:05, Carlo Vanini wrote:

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Bruce Marshall<bmarsh@bmarsh.com> wrote:

On Thursday, February 23, 2012 05:45:52 PM Brian Wootton wrote:

My question for now is: can someone recommend me any other measure with
a view to taming:-) the jumping cursor? Any thoughts?
Thanks for replying, respectfully yours,
Bas.


Try using gpointing-device-settings which you may have to start from a
command line. But it brings up a gui that will let you turn off tapping and
scrolling on the touchpad and possibly set the sensitivity of the touchpad.




You may also want to try synaptiks (in the kde-config-touchpad
package), which allows you to configure the touchpad to be disabled
when keyboard activity is detected and turned back on after a
configurable delay.



I do not see that setting? A lot of other settings but not that one -
and I would really love to have that


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-24-2012, 07:54 AM
"O. Sinclair"
 
Default Netbook with Kubuntu 11.04: how best to tame an, uncontrollably jumping cursor? (Bas G. Roufs )

On 24/02/12 08:17, O. Sinclair wrote:

On 23/02/12 23:05, Carlo Vanini wrote:

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Bruce Marshall<bmarsh@bmarsh.com> wrote:

On Thursday, February 23, 2012 05:45:52 PM Brian Wootton wrote:

My question for now is: can someone recommend me any other measure
with
a view to taming:-) the jumping cursor? Any thoughts?
Thanks for replying, respectfully yours,
Bas.


Try using gpointing-device-settings which you may have to start from a
command line. But it brings up a gui that will let you turn off
tapping and
scrolling on the touchpad and possibly set the sensitivity of the
touchpad.




You may also want to try synaptiks (in the kde-config-touchpad
package), which allows you to configure the touchpad to be disabled
when keyboard activity is detected and turned back on after a
configurable delay.



I do not see that setting? A lot of other settings but not that one -
and I would really love to have that



to answer my own question and do I feel stupid or what. Not that it is
very "logical" if you ask me.


in KDE menu Utilities you will find Synaptiks, not only in System
Settings. Start that and a tray app appears where you in "configuration"
can find the elusive setting "automatically switch off if keyboard
activity is detected".


And I thought I had looked everywhere.. truth to be told I do not get
why this is NOT in the kcm module but OK - now I found it. Finally.


Best
Sinclair

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org