Old 02-23-2012, 10:07 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default How to store passwords for Windows Shares in Dolphin/KNetAttach?

On 23/02/12 12:22, Guus wrote:

On 02/23/2012 10:22 AM, knutihe@web.de wrote:

Hi!

I have several Windows Shares I want to mount with KNetAttach and then
add it to the favorites Panel in Dolphin. Now I have to enter my
username/password combination everytime I close Dolphin, which is
pretty annoying. Is there a possibility to save username/pw so I don't
have to type it all the time?

Thx in advance!

Ihr WEB.DE Postfach immer dabei: die kostenlose WEB.DE Mail App für
iPhone und Android.
*https://produkte.web.de/freemail_mobile_startseite/*

Hello,

Don't know whether you can, but I would like to caution you in doing
this. A few months ago my son had his PC stolen.
This was immediately followed by misuse of all his registered accounts
(email, bank, websites).
Mails were completely deleted and bank was accessed, but happily no
transaction was done because of lack of a pass or something.

The point is that he had saved all his passwords in his browser or in
the applications he used. For that reason it was easy for the thiefs to
access his accounts.

If you now save your passwords in Linux, thiefs of your machine will
easily access your windows shares and your effort to secure will be for
naught.
Of course, it is entirely up to you. I am only cautioning you that this
might happen. Just dont blame Linux if it happens.

given that windows shares are normally on a LAN I kind of doubt anyone
with a stolen computer will access them. I would like to know the answer
myself as I go nuts by having to put in the username and password every
time I connect to one of the windows servers I frequently work with

Sinclair

Old 02-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Guus