Old 02-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Leslie Anne Chatterton

Default What version of KDE do I have?

Hi Bruce,

Kubuntu comes out twice a year and what you have is the April 2010 version. It is the most recent long term support version; the next one is 12.04, coming out in April 2012. The "-3" part means it incorporates some security and bug fixes, but I'm not sure what the date code for that is. Each version also has an animal name, but I find them hard to keep track of! The past (April 2011) was Natty Narwhal, current one (October 2011) is Oneiric Ocelot, with Precise Pangolin coming in April 2012.

It would not be a good idea to go to an earlier version (less secure, more bugs), but if you get your hands on a disk from a prior one you can certainly install it. You'll almost certainly lose all your work and have to start over with a clean slate.

If you want to know your version type "cat /etc/issue" or "uname -a" at a command prompt (terminal).

Sent from my Motorola Xoom Android tablet