Old 04-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Jonathan Kaye

Default Amarok can't see

pkaplan1@comcast.net wrote:

> Following my Brandenburg example, Easytag sees no difference between the
> tags for the flac files on either CD (other than track name, of course),
> yet one directory remains visible to Amarok and one is completely
> invisible.
>
> ??
This thread is getting split apart. Anyway see my answer to your earlier
question. Remember you need to update your collection in Amarok in order
for your changes to appear.

Jonathan

Please do not send me copies of list mail. I read the lists. Thanks!

Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Jonathan Kaye

pkaplan1@comcast.net wrote:

> Following my Brandenburg example, Easytag sees no difference between the
> tags for the flac files on either CD (other than track name, of course),
> yet one directory remains visible to Amarok and one is completely
> invisible.
<snip>
Please see my suggestions on the Ubuntu list.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Jonathan Kaye

Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Jonathan Kaye

Old 04-05-2008, 11:33 PM
"D. R. Evans"

pkaplan1@comcast.net said the following at 04/03/2008 12:58 PM :
> Following my Brandenburg example, Easytag sees no difference between the
> tags for the flac files on either CD (other than track name, of course),
> yet one directory remains visible to Amarok and one is completely
> invisible.

Silly question: have you forced a re-scan of the collection?

Doc

Old 04-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Constantinos Maltezos

I hate the way Yahoo's web interface does email replies, so I've been holding off until I can use kmail again (long story), but I have to make a comment here.* Sometimes when I update Amarok and sometimes for no reason at all, the database (I use the default SQLite) become corrupt for me.* It's happened in multiple versions of Amarok.* When this happens, either Amarok will crash when I open it or it will only show a part of my collection, however much I rescan.* The only thing that fixes it when it happens is to delete the database by hand, via a terminal program.* Then, when the database rebuilds, everything is fine.

I haven't a clue as to whether this is what's going on with yours,
but I thought I'd offer it up.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:31 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Constantinos Maltezos said the following at 04/05/2008 06:38 PM :

> a comment here. Sometimes when I update Amarok and sometimes for no
> reason at all, the database (I use the default SQLite) become corrupt
> for me. It's happened in multiple versions of Amarok. When this
> happens, either Amarok will crash when I open it or it will only show a
> part of my collection, however much I rescan. The only thing that fixes
> it when it happens is to delete the database by hand, via a terminal
> program. Then, when the database rebuilds, everything is fine.
>
> I haven't a clue as to whether this is what's going on with yours, but I
> thought I'd offer it up.

I agree that the database system used in amarok is horribly fragile,
especially if you ever move files around (weirdly, it stores the absolute
device information, so if you move your file hierarchy physically, even
while keeping them in the same place logically, the database will still get
confused). I now have a cron job that copies the database every day so that
I have a backup in case it gets screwed up (because one loses all the
ratings and play info if one does a complete build-from-scratch).

It's been about a year here since something unilaterally corrupted the
database and rendered amarok unusable; but I have seen a couple of
instances since then of upgrades messing it up.

It doesn't sound like that's the OP's problem, though. Through all the
several database weirdnesses I've experienced, I've never seen amarok be
unable to find files. If he's comfortable looking inside the database, that
would settle whether amarok really knows about the apparently-missing files.

Doc

Old 04-07-2008, 02:36 PM

I did force a rescan and it didn't work. Interesting suggestion.

I also deleted collection.db and collection_scan.files in ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok (while amarok was closed) and then allowed amarok to rescan. No luck. It's still avoiding the same files.

Did I delete the right database files? Did I miss any?

Old 04-07-2008, 02:40 PM

Interesting comment. As it turns out I did have to rebuild my system and so this could have resulted in some problems with the location of the USB drive. How do you rebuild the database (SQLlite)

Paul

Old 04-07-2008, 11:11 PM
"D. R. Evans"

I think it's time for you take to take the problem to the amarok users'
forum. Since it sounds like it's completely reproducible on your system, I
am pretty sure that they'll be able to help you.

the forum is at: http://amarok.kde.org/forum/

When you do get this solved, it would be helpful if you could post the fix
here, so that in future people will be able to find the answer as part of
this thread when they do a search.

Doc