Old 04-03-2008, 11:30 AM
"Francisco Borges"

Default screen locking time setting?

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:54 PM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

> Francisco Borges wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > How do I set the time that it takes for the screen to lock?
> >
> > I find it that it locks way too often, and would like to increase the
> > time it takes.
> >
> > Cheers,
> System Settings on the K Menu - choose Desktop, find Screensaver and
> look for time settings.

Thanks for the email, but that simply doesn't work on my machine.

I had changed the settings there before, it's now on 3 hours, and I
still find the desktop locked when I come back from lunch (which takes
some 30, 40 minutes)

Any other ideas?

Cheers,
--
Francisco

Old 04-03-2008, 11:54 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/4/3, Francisco Borges <francisco.borges@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:54 PM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Francisco Borges wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > How do I set the time that it takes for the screen to lock?
> > >
> > > I find it that it locks way too often, and would like to increase the
> > > time it takes.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > System Settings on the K Menu - choose Desktop, find Screensaver and
> > look for time settings.
>

> Thanks for the email, but that simply doesn't work on my machine.
>
> I had changed the settings there before, it's now on 3 hours, and I
> still find the desktop locked when I come back from lunch (which takes
> some 30, 40 minutes)
>
> Any other ideas?

Have checked for your monitors energy saving? I think that KDE is lockíng the
desktop when the monit is enter some energy saving state.
You can configure dpms in xorg.conf or from KDE's kcontrol.

/ Jonas

Old 04-03-2008, 12:19 PM
"O. Sinclair"

Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2008/4/3, Francisco Borges <francisco.borges@gmail.com>:

>> > System Settings on the K Menu - choose Desktop, find Screensaver and
>> > look for time settings.
>>

>> Thanks for the email, but that simply doesn't work on my machine.
>>
>> I had changed the settings there before, it's now on 3 hours, and I
>> still find the desktop locked when I come back from lunch (which takes
>> some 30, 40 minutes)
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>>

> Have checked for your monitors energy saving? I think that KDE is lockíng the
> desktop when the monit is enter some energy saving state.
> You can configure dpms in xorg.conf or from KDE's kcontrol.
>
> / Jonas
or look in System Settings, Monitor & Display, Power Saving. Normally
set to 45 mnutes.

Sinclair

Old 04-03-2008, 12:45 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/4/3, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com>:
> Jonas Norlander wrote:

> >> Thanks for the email, but that simply doesn't work on my machine.
> >>
> >> I had changed the settings there before, it's now on 3 hours, and I
> >> still find the desktop locked when I come back from lunch (which takes
> >> some 30, 40 minutes)
> >>
> >> Any other ideas?
> >>

> > Have checked for your monitors energy saving? I think that KDE is lockíng the
> > desktop when the monit is enter some energy saving state.
> > You can configure dpms in xorg.conf or from KDE's kcontrol.
> >
> > / Jonas
>
> or look in System Settings, Monitor & Display, Power Saving. Normally
> set to 45 mnutes.
>

> Sinclair

Just what i was saying but you can never repeat to much ;-)

Old 04-03-2008, 12:51 PM
"Francisco Borges"

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/4/3, Francisco Borges <francisco.borges@gmail.com>:
> > I had changed the settings there before, it's now on 3 hours, and I
> > still find the desktop locked when I come back from lunch (which takes
> > some 30, 40 minutes)
> >
> > Any other ideas?
> >

> Have checked for your monitors energy saving? I think that KDE is lockíng the
> desktop when the monit is enter some energy saving state.
> You can configure dpms in xorg.conf or from KDE's kcontrol.

Thanks to everybody for the fast answers!

I've set the time saving to 3 hours as well, as an experiment. Though
I actually consider it a bug to lock my desktop just because the
monitor is saving energy, when I've already set the locking time to a
specific value.

Cheers,
--
Francisco