Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Tom Bell

Default Major problem with Oneiric 11.10 freezing

On 02/14/2012 04:06 AM, Alvin wrote:

On 14/02/2012 7:43, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 14/02/12 17:03, Tom Bell wrote:
[...]

And what is that PID, called jdb2/sda1-8, which is taking up most of the
cpu? It is owned by root. So what is root doing with this jdb2-thingie?

According to Wikipedia, jdb2 is a "generic block device journaling
layer". I suspect it's pretty normal to see a lot of 'jdb2' if there is
a lot of disk I/O. High disk I/O explains speed issues pretty well. It's
also why I asked about LVM with snapshots (and why I switched to FreeBSD
with ZFS when I need snapshots.)

Tom, can you post the output of 'mount'?

_Links_
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journaling_block_device
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/arch-handbook/driverbasics-block.html

mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/My Book type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed ,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,uhelper=udisks)

Done.
Thank you!

Tom

Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 AM