Old 04-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Larry Hartman

Default Wireless and the BCM43xx driver

On Wednesday 02 April 2008 04:17:11 pm Bill wrote:
> Thanks Larry & Jon, For your responses.
>
> Larry, you are right about Hardy automatically deciding on the BCM43xx (air
> Force One). I know I never installed this driver.
>
> I did use the ndiswrapper with bcmwml5.inf back with Gusty.
>
> But my Hardy readings say, (because of all the troubles) the powers that be
> had depreciated the bcm43xx & bcmwml5 for a b43 or b43legency solution. I
> even read one solution that said to install both the b43 and the b43legency
> drivers and the OS would decide for itself which one to use.
>
> Anyway, I would really like to just remove the bcm43xx (air force one)
> stuff before adding the b43/b43legency solution.
>
> Curiously, when I tried; rmmod BCM43xx or rmmod BCM4318; The response is
> ERROR: Module BCM4318 does not exist in /proc/modules
>
> OK, so why is it showing with a 'lshw -class network' command?

Bill:

That commands polls the actual hardware plus the device drivers installed to
run it. Here is mine, note last three lines where ndiswrapper is listed:

*-network:0
product: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:06:02.0
logical name: eth1
version: 02
serial: 00:14:a5:25:7d:6f
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ndiswrapper+bcmwl5a
driverversion=1.45+Broadcom,12/22/2004, 3.100. ip=192.168.1.11 latency=64
link=yes module=ndiswrapper multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

I do not have Hardy loaded yet, looks like folks have to reinvent the wheel to
get bcm4318 to work. I did a quick search for this on forums and come up
with two threads it seems folks are pointing to....first two are solutions to
getting ndiswrapper to work, third is using fwcutter. I can not vouch for
validity of solutions reported here, only offering them to help.

http://devangelist.blogspot.com/2008/03/ubuntu-804-beta-hardy.html

Guess I have something to not look forward to (again) in a couple of weeks
when Hardy is officially released. Hopefully some of these issues will be
resolved and solutions solidified by then. I seconded a rquest to have
Compwiz (wicd creator) update the bcm4318 how-to for Hardy. This forum
thread is typically very active and I would keep an eye on it as potentially
the best place for a stable solution as people sort out what works and what
doesn't:

Larry

Old 04-03-2008, 01:12 AM
"Bill"

I'm not saying I'm going to follow through on this;

*

But, has any survey been made to determine the easiest and most reliable (I underline and put in
bold most reliable) PCMCIA Network
Notebook card for Hardy?

*

If it comes to a $20 investment (on eBay), I *might take the
plunge for a better PCMCIA Network Card (802.11G)

*

*

*

> [...]

vouch for

validity of solutions reported here, only offering them to help.

*

http://devangelist.blogspot.com/2008/03/ubuntu-804-beta-hardy.html

*

Guess I have something to not look forward to (again) in a couple of
weeks

when Hardy is officially released.* Hopefully some of these issues
will be

resolved and solutions solidified by then.* I seconded a rquest to
have

Compwiz (wicd creator) update the bcm4318 how-to for Hardy.* This
forum

thread is typically very active and I would keep an eye on it as
potentially

the best place for a stable solution as people sort out what works and

kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: