Old 02-07-2012, 06:37 PM
gene heskett

Default Canonical pulls the plug on Kubuntu

On Tuesday, February 07, 2012 02:36:24 PM Basil Chupin did opine:

> Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>

> Today I bring the disappointing news that Canonical will no longer be
> funding my work on Kubuntu after 12.04. Canonical wants to treat
> Kubuntu in the same way as the other community flavors such as
> Edubuntu, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu, and support the projects with
> infrastructure. This is a big challenge to Kubuntu of course and KDE
> as well.
>

> http://lwn.net/Articles/479710/

That is about a 10-33 Tor vacuum. IOW, it sucks. Sorry Jonathon.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
All most people want is a little more than they'll ever get.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Steve Riley

On 2012-02-07 12:57:57 Sarunas Burdulis <sarunas@math.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> Not much of a scientific digging, but here are some entries from

> http://popcon.ubuntu.com/by_inst.gz file, starting with the heading:

> #Format

> #

> #<name> is the package name;

> #<inst> is the number of people who installed this package;

> #<vote> is the number of people who use this package regularly;

> #<old> is the number of people who installed, but don't use this package

> # regularly;

> #<recent> is the number of people who upgraded this package recently;

> #<no-files> is the number of people whose entry didn't contain enough

> # information (atime and ctime were 0).

> #rank name inst vote old recent no-files

> 764 ubuntu-desktop 1648341 0 0 0 1648341 (Matt Zimmerman)

> 2829 kubuntu-desktop 217943 0 0 0 217943 (Jonathan Riddell)

> 4329 xubuntu-desktop 90057 0 0 0 90057 (Xubuntu Developers)

> 8650 edubuntu-desktop 18096 0 0 0 18096 (Oliver Grawert)

> 577 gdm 1941254 80087 1855605 5217 345

> 2460 kdm 289248 10315 272239 6640 54

> This would put Kubuntu at 13-15% of installs, though there might be more

> representative stats somewhere else.

*

Even these stats might not be fully representative.

*

For some time now, rather than installing kubuntu-desktop, I build systems using the alternate installer CD and running the advanced-mode CLI. I like the initial boot to be simple, just landing at a shell prompt. I perform a few pre-DE customizations -- purge Plymouth and Apparmor, alter default mount options, set up some power-saving scripts.

*

Then I install kde-standard, after which I add the kde-goodies PPA. But before rebooting I do a bit more pruning and grafting -- mostly replacing some of the default apps with others (Konqueror -> Rekonq, Kopete -> Quassel, Juk -> Amarok, DragonPlayer -> Bangarang, a few others).

*

Finally I add the xorg-edgers and intel-sna PPAs. One more update && dist-upgrade, then reboot and voila, a KDE built just to my liking. Surely I'm not the only KDE-on-Unbuntu person who builds this way?

*

--Steve

*

Old 02-07-2012, 08:10 PM
richard terry

On Wednesday 08 February 2012 06:37:26 gene heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 07, 2012 02:36:24 PM Basil Chupin did opine:
> > Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> >

> > Today I bring the disappointing news that Canonical will no longer be
> > funding my work on Kubuntu after 12.04. Canonical wants to treat
> > Kubuntu in the same way as the other community flavors such as
> > Edubuntu, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu, and support the projects with
> > infrastructure. This is a big challenge to Kubuntu of course and KDE
> > as well.
> >

> > http://lwn.net/Articles/479710/
>
> That is about a 10-33 Tor vacuum. IOW, it sucks. Sorry Jonathon.
>
> Cheers, Gene

I suspect there are zillions more users of kubuntu than register and who don't
post to this forum like myself.

I've got it on 2 laptops, 6 other pc's, I'vce stacks of friends who have it
running at home on a machine along side their windows boxes.

Great pity if it didn't continue.

richard

Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 PM
doug

On 02/07/2012 09:27 AM, Thomas K Gamble wrote:

According to Ubuntu Counter (assuming theire stats are a reasonably accurate
representation)

http://ubuntucounter.geekosophical.net/

Kubuntu only accounts for 2% of the various Ubuntu flavor installs.

Rather surprising, imho.

/snip/
I looked at Kubuntu about a year ago. It was the absolute worst
rendition of KDE that I have ever seen.

It's no wonder nobody wants it!

--doug

Old 02-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Jörg von Frantzius

Makes me wonder why you're on this mailing list?
Last year I setup Kubuntu on a modern Laptop, with graphics, sound, WiFi and even Bluetooth working instantly and flawlessly, just great.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 04:19:27 PM doug wrote:
> I looked at Kubuntu about a year ago. It was the absolute worst
> rendition of KDE that I have ever seen.
> It's no wonder nobody wants it!

I see this come up ofte - I don't get it. I try all the alternate KDE distro's
on a regular basis, there's bugger all difference between them as far as the
actual kde setup/experience goes. Kubuntu is probably the most uptodate
distro.
--
Lindsay

Old 02-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Ryan Gauger

On 02/07/2012 06:16 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

Jonathan Riddell wrote:

Today I bring the disappointing news that Canonical will no longer be
funding my work on Kubuntu after 12.04. Canonical wants to treat
Kubuntu in the same way as the other community flavors such as
Edubuntu, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu, and support the projects with
infrastructure. This is a big challenge to Kubuntu of course and KDE
as well.

http://lwn.net/Articles/479710/

I am sorry about this. Canonical did treat Kubuntu as though it was
higher (which it was in my opinion) than any other Ubuntu derivative. In
my opinion, Kubuntu is the best Linux distribution that uses KDE by
default. KDE in my opinion is beautiful, and with the OS X Lion default
space wallpaper, it looks as attractive as OS X Lion. No other desktop
environment (or distribution) is as beautiful as KDE or Kubuntu either.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Jonathan Riddell

> kubuntu uses the
> same repositories as ubuntu. it is mainly ubuntu with KDE instead of
> GNOME. as i understand

Kubuntu is an Ubuntu flavour which comes with KDE Software. Ubuntu
[Desktop] is another flavour which comes with Unity and other
software.

> how
> important is their work, compared to the many other community developers?

We are going to find out. But 11.10 was released without a Canonical
staff member working on it so that's a good sign.

> and in all cases, KDE is developed by KDE developers, the work done here
> is modifying some stuff to be ubuntu-ish, and packaging... then again,
> isnt some of that already done in debian before ubuntu, or is KDE a
> special case, and gets imported from KDE directly, without going through
> debian?

The Kubuntu team packages KDE Software. Our KDE packages are
typically based on Debian packages but are usually more up to date.
Packaging is most of what we do along with plenty of testing, some bug
fixing and a bit of feature development.

Jonathan

Old 02-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Jonathan Riddell

> No other desktop environment
> (or distribution) is as beautiful as KDE or Kubuntu either.

Thanks for your kind words

Jonathan

Old 02-07-2012, 11:30 PM
Basil Chupin

On 08/02/12 05:05, Jonathan Riddell wrote:

I am sorry to say that I can't help but see a very nasty move from
Canonical here. The timing speaks for itself, after including Kubuntu as
a full citizen with a LTS release, Canonical "pulls the plug" few weeks
before it's actually out.

The subject line here is misleading, "pulls the plug" isn't entirely
right, it won't get the same resources but it can still continue with
the same resouces canonical gives to other community flavours.

What happened for them to suddenly realize
they couldn't afford to keep one developer on Kubuntu ?

It's rational business sense not to spend money on something that
isn't making money.

Ah, and so all the other flavours ARE making money, especially Ubuntu
with Unity? Give us a break :-) .....

And sorry to see you lose your job :-( .

BC

--
Aspire to inspire before you expire.