Old 02-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa

Default Canonical pulls the plug on Kubuntu

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 3:17 AM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/02/12 04:04, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:

>>> Well, try to look at the good side of this. *My only reason for
>>> abandoning
>>> Kubuntu 8-04 was that it was going (or was already) out of support. *Now
>>> that
>>> 10-04 will no longer be supported, I can go back to 8-04 and a usable
>>> version
>>> of kmail. *Maybe someday I will find another useful setup with support,
>>> but
>>> in the meantime I won't miss Kubuntu post 8-04 and I will still be using
>>> Linux,
>>> which I love.
>>

>> Well, to my good surprise, yesterday I updated to KDE 4.8 (using
>> ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports), and kmail just started to work. *I have
>> been using it all day, with no issues.
>>
> with "auto-completion" of email address from addressbook, not only "recent
> addresses" working? That is what made me step back to 4.7.4, that function
> went missing - and "distribution lists" also stopped working btw

Not tried that yet, it was so broken for me before, that I was unable
to used it all (it would show my Inbox empty all the time). I'll
setup address book today, and let you know.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Glenn Holmer

On 02/09/2012 06:10 AM, Dale Trombley wrote:
> I just don't see it being that big a deal. The other *buntu derivatives
> are quite good and have a strong loyal following (even more so now that
> unity has reared its fugly head).

+1, I'll continue using Kubuntu. I've been a Linux user since '95
(Slackware), switched to SUSE in '98, then to Ubuntu in '08. I hate
what's been done with both Unity and the GNOME Shell and won't touch
either of them. I stuck with Maverick at 11.04, then switched to Kubuntu
at 11.10. There are things to like about Ubuntu, and as long as I can
have something as beautiful as KDE on my desktop, I'll stick with it.
Oh, and of course the ability to actually *configure* the desktop...
what a radical idea!

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Old 02-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Ryan Gauger

I just don't see it being that big a deal. The other *buntu derivatives
are quite good and have a strong loyal following (even more so now that
unity has reared its fugly head).

+1, I'll continue using Kubuntu. I've been a Linux user since '95
(Slackware), switched to SUSE in '98, then to Ubuntu in '08. I hate
what's been done with both Unity and the GNOME Shell and won't touch
either of them. I stuck with Maverick at 11.04, then switched to Kubuntu
at 11.10. There are things to like about Ubuntu, and as long as I can
have something as beautiful as KDE on my desktop, I'll stick with it.
Oh, and of course the ability to actually *configure* the desktop...
what a radical idea!

I will continue to use Kubuntu also. I used it at 1:30 in the morning,
before I went to bed. KDE 4.8 is rock-solid, and with Ubuntu being the
base, how can it get any better? Thanks!

Old 02-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 17:16, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
<ildefonso.camargo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, lets also consider that some people doesn't really understand
> what kubuntu is, and they just think that it is Ubuntu with KDE
> installed, and so, if you ask them what they use, they'll answer
> "Ubuntu", instead of Kubuntu.

Actually, I _do_ understand what Kubuntu is, but if you ask me what
distro I use I will say Ubuntu. And my airport is in Tel Aviv
(actually, it is in Lod) and my name is Dotan (actually, it is דותן).

Sometimes a slight inaccuracy can save a long explanation.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 02-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 20:05, Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> The subject line here is misleading, "pulls the plug" isn't entirely
> right, it won't get the same resources but it can still continue with
> the same resouces canonical gives to other community flavours.

Hi Jonathan! The issue is _quite_ that now Kubuntu will have the same
resources as other community flavours. The nice thing about Kubuntu is
_you_. Most contributors work on the bugs that affect them or scratch
their own itch. Lots of bugs are no fun to work on and everybody would
rather that "somebody else" fix them. That "somebody else" was often
you from what I understand. Therefore, the "not sexy" bugs will not be
fixed, and Kubuntu risks becoming a "might work if you have common
hardware and short expectations" distro.

> It's rational business sense not to spend money on something that
> isn't making money.

I agree with this 100%. Had someone mentioned one month ago "we need N
units of X currency per Z unit of time to continue with Kubuntu" I
would have paid for reasonable values of N, X, and Z. I alone cannot
employ you, but I would gladly subscribe to a "fund Kubuntu" cause.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 02-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Loc Grobol

On 12 February 2012 11:25, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with this 100%. Had someone mentioned one month ago "we need N
> units of X currency per Z unit of time to continue with Kubuntu" I
> would have paid for reasonable values of N, X, and Z. I alone cannot
> employ you, but I would gladly subscribe to a "fund Kubuntu" cause.

I second that. Is there a way?

--
Loc Grobol.

M1 Mathmatiques AMA. Facult des sciences, Orlans La Source.
M1 Linguistique LAASTIC. Facult de lettres, langues et sciences
humaines, Orlans La Source.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Mark Fraser

On Sunday 12 Feb 2012 11:52:29 Loc Grobol wrote:

> On 12 February 2012 11:25, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I agree with this 100%. Had someone mentioned one month ago "we need N

> > units of X currency per Z unit of time to continue with Kubuntu" I

> > would have paid for reasonable values of N, X, and Z. I alone cannot

> > employ you, but I would gladly subscribe to a "fund Kubuntu" cause.

> I second that. Is there a way?

*

A related question to this, what happens to selling Kubuntu items on shop.ubuntu.com now that Canonical is no longer putting up the cash?

*