Old 02-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Jonathan Riddell

Default Canonical pulls the plug on Kubuntu

On 7 February 2012 16:30, Dale Trombley <buzzmandt@gmail.com> wrote:
> By all means we'll miss Johnathan and his contributions but how else is this
> really gonna hurt Kubuntu? I don't see cononical doing much for Kubuntu
> other than giving us the great Ubuntu base, which all the other derivatives
> get too.

It won't hurt Kubuntu is the necessary leadership appears and jobs get
filled. That's a complete unknown for now but the signs are good.

It means a bit less money for KDE too.

Jonathan

Old 02-07-2012, 04:56 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

07/02/2012 17:08, Pastor JW wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 07, 2012 5:55:53 am Billie Walsh wrote:
>> I don't claim to be any sort of
>> expert on the politics and inner workings of Canonical, but it has
>> always sort of seemed to me that Canonical has treated Kubuntu as a "red
>> headed step-child". They put it out there and didn't commit to it as
>> fully as they should if they were really serious about it.
>
> For some unknown reason Ubuntu has been feverishly working at trying to make
> Ubuntu totally unusable. If I were a conspiracy theorist I'd almost swear
> some borg company was paying them to sabotage Ubuntu into becoming as unusable
> as the borg is. Ubuntu still is usable with KDE installed on it, so of course
> it must be dropped.

I am sorry to say that I can't help but see a very nasty move from
Canonical here. The timing speaks for itself, after including Kubuntu as
a full citizen with a LTS release, Canonical "pulls the plug" few weeks
before it's actually out. What happened for them to suddenly realize
they couldn't afford to keep one developer on Kubuntu ? Unity off course
! Kubuntu is gaining momentum (as are the other derivatives, and Mint)
thanks to the Unity disaster, so Canonical tries to kill the competition
by discouraging adoption of the LTS Kubuntu to come soon: who wants an
"unsupported" Long Term release ?
I don't think it's going to hurt Kubuntu that much in term of manpower,
but in term of image and faith in the future of the distro it certainly
will, it sends a very bad message at a carefully chosen bad time...

Mark Shuttleworth seems to no longer be an enlighten dictator, and even
less a benevolent one. He wants to impose Unity at all cost, even though
it must be consuming a crazy amount of manpower since it's Canonical
specific, doesn't even use Gnome3 API's, and as such doesn't benefit
upstream. No other distro wants it, and I am still to meet users who are
happy with it...

Kubuntu should happily drift away from Canonical, I am dreaming of a
future Kubuntu as the official KDE "showroom" distro, it's already
nearly there.

In any case I am sticking with Kubuntu which is becoming better with
every release, and all my friends and family will be shifting from
Ubuntu to Kubuntu with the coming LTS release.

Long live Kubuntu !

Old 02-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Sarunas Burdulis

On 02/07/2012 10:10 AM, Thomas K Gamble wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 07, 2012 09:44:55 AM Sarunas Burdulis wrote:
>> On 02/07/2012 09:27 AM, Thomas K Gamble wrote:
>>> According to Ubuntu Counter (assuming theire stats are a reasonably
>>> accurate representation)
>>>
>>> http://ubuntucounter.geekosophical.net/
>>>
>>> Kubuntu only accounts for 2% of the various Ubuntu flavor
>>> installs.
>>
>> I wouldn't assume much of a representation to the stats there. And the
>> latest is for Lucid... KDE4 has progressed quite a bit since then.
>
> True, it's not the best data since it's voluntary reporting and not many
> participate. Linux counter is not much better at about 6.4% of the Ubuntu
> flavor installs. https://linuxcounter.net/distributions/stats.html
>
> Just theorizing as to their rationalization. Usage vs cost of support.
>
> Personnaly, I think there'd be wider usage if they put a little more effort
> into it. The lack of support (for the user bases concerns) and attention to
> useability issues is what has hurt kubuntu adoption.
>

>> KDE/Gnome package updates' download stats from Ubuntu servers might
>> give a better picture.
>
> I didn't have much luck digging up those stats.

Not much of a scientific digging, but here are some entries from
http://popcon.ubuntu.com/by_inst.gz file, starting with the heading:

#Format
#
#<name> is the package name;
#<inst> is the number of people who installed this package;
#<vote> is the number of people who use this package regularly;
#<old> is the number of people who installed, but don't use this package
# regularly;
#<recent> is the number of people who upgraded this package recently;
#<no-files> is the number of people whose entry didn't contain enough
# information (atime and ctime were 0).
#rank name inst vote old recent no-files

764 ubuntu-desktop 1648341 0 0 0 1648341 (Matt Zimmerman)
2829 kubuntu-desktop 217943 0 0 0 217943 (Jonathan Riddell)
4329 xubuntu-desktop 90057 0 0 0 90057 (Xubuntu Developers)
8650 edubuntu-desktop 18096 0 0 0 18096 (Oliver Grawert)

577 gdm 1941254 80087 1855605 5217 345
2460 kdm 289248 10315 272239 6640 54

This would put Kubuntu at 13-15% of installs, though there might be more
representative stats somewhere else.

- --
Sarunas Burdulis
Systems Administrator
Department of Mathematics, Dartmouth College
http://math.dartmouth.edu/~sarunas

Old 02-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Jonathan Riddell

> I am sorry to say that I can't help but see a very nasty move from
> Canonical here. The timing speaks for itself, after including Kubuntu as
> a full citizen with a LTS release, Canonical "pulls the plug" few weeks
> before it's actually out.

The subject line here is misleading, "pulls the plug" isn't entirely
right, it won't get the same resources but it can still continue with
the same resouces canonical gives to other community flavours.

>What happened for them to suddenly realize
> they couldn't afford to keep one developer on Kubuntu ?

It's rational business sense not to spend money on something that
isn't making money.

> In any case I am sticking with Kubuntu which is becoming better with
> every release, and all my friends and family will be shifting from
> Ubuntu to Kubuntu with the coming LTS release.

Great

Jonathan

Old 02-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Waleed Hamra

On 07/02/12 20:05, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>> I am sorry to say that I can't help but see a very nasty move from
>> Canonical here. The timing speaks for itself, after including Kubuntu as
>> a full citizen with a LTS release, Canonical "pulls the plug" few weeks
>> before it's actually out.
>
> The subject line here is misleading, "pulls the plug" isn't entirely
> right, it won't get the same resources but it can still continue with
> the same resouces canonical gives to other community flavours.
>
>> What happened for them to suddenly realize
>> they couldn't afford to keep one developer on Kubuntu ?
>
> It's rational business sense not to spend money on something that
> isn't making money.
>
>> In any case I am sticking with Kubuntu which is becoming better with
>> every release, and all my friends and family will be shifting from
>> Ubuntu to Kubuntu with the coming LTS release.
>
> Great
>
> Jonathan

so let's try and understand what this really means. kubuntu uses the
same repositories as ubuntu. it is mainly ubuntu with KDE instead of
GNOME. as i understand, Canonical was using some payed developer(s) to
work on the KDE portion of the system? if so, how many? and how
important is their work, compared to the many other community developers?
and in all cases, KDE is developed by KDE developers, the work done here
is modifying some stuff to be ubuntu-ish, and packaging... then again,
isnt some of that already done in debian before ubuntu, or is KDE a
special case, and gets imported from KDE directly, without going through
debian?
thanks in advance for any answers.

--
Waleed K. Hamra