Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Billie Walsh

Default Canonical pulls the plug on Kubuntu

On 02/07/2012 06:16 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

Jonathan Riddell wrote:

Today I bring the disappointing news that Canonical will no longer be
funding my work on Kubuntu after 12.04. Canonical wants to treat
Kubuntu in the same way as the other community flavors such as
Edubuntu, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu, and support the projects with
infrastructure. This is a big challenge to Kubuntu of course and KDE
as well.

http://lwn.net/Articles/479710/

Reading down through the comments at the bottom of the article I think I
can agree with several of the comments. I don't claim to be any sort of
expert on the politics and inner workings of Canonical, but it has
always sort of seemed to me that Canonical has treated Kubuntu as a "red
headed step-child". They put it out there and didn't commit to it as
fully as they should if they were really serious about it.

--
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the

- Patrick Henry -

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 02-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Thomas K Gamble

According to Ubuntu Counter (assuming theire stats are a reasonably accurate
representation)

http://ubuntucounter.geekosophical.net/

Kubuntu only accounts for 2% of the various Ubuntu flavor installs.

Rather surprising, imho.

On Tuesday, February 07, 2012 07:55:53 AM Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 02/07/2012 06:16 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> > Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> >

> > Today I bring the disappointing news that Canonical will no longer be
> > funding my work on Kubuntu after 12.04. Canonical wants to treat
> > Kubuntu in the same way as the other community flavors such as
> > Edubuntu, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu, and support the projects with
> > infrastructure. This is a big challenge to Kubuntu of course and KDE
> > as well.
> >

> > http://lwn.net/Articles/479710/
>
> Reading down through the comments at the bottom of the article I think I
> can agree with several of the comments. I don't claim to be any sort of
> expert on the politics and inner workings of Canonical, but it has
> always sort of seemed to me that Canonical has treated Kubuntu as a "red
> headed step-child". They put it out there and didn't commit to it as
> fully as they should if they were really serious about it.
--
Thomas K. Gamble
Research Technologist, System/Network Administrator
Chemical Diagnostics and Engineering (C-CDE)
Los Alamos National Laboratory
MS-E543,p:505-665-4323 f:505-665-4267

"There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full."
Henry Kissinger