Old 02-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Basil Chupin

Default How best to make daily routine backups from netbook to 2 external HD's?

On 06/02/12 21:20, Bas G. Roufs wrote:

Hello Loukas and Everybody Else

Thanks everybody for all the useful advise that came in so far in this
thread.

[pruned]

Now, I come to the question for you, Loukas.

Mark Greenwood advises me to reformat both external hard disks to EXT4
- at least, when using RSYNC and/or KTARDIS. Does this advise also
apply to LuckyBackup? In other words: can I avoid the problems I have
had with the NH92 if I reformat it from FAT32 to EXT4?

For you, Mark: I am happy to reformat both external HD's to EXT4 if
necessary. A third small sized external HD I have for exchange of data
with Windows and Mac computers. Question for everybody: which format
is best for such a purpose: FAT32 or NTFS?

This is it for now. Respectfully yours,

Bas.

I am not Loukas, but why don't you simply partition your 2T drive into 3
partitions and format each one for the file system you will be using -
eg, Windows NTFS, Linux ext4, and MAC I don't know what they use now -
is it still HPS?

BC

--
A three-year-old boy was examining his testicles while taking a bath.
"Mum" he asked, "are these my brains?"

Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Greg Zeng

<quote> My experiences so far can be summarised as follows.
http://luckybackup.sourceforge.net/
I successfully managed to make a complete backup of the WHOLE home
directory to the biggest external HD: "WD Elements" , 2 Terabytes. The
strange aspect of this experience is the way in which that HD has been
formatted: NTFS. But there was not one single error report.

My question is: what best to do with the big external HD? Leaving it
as it is now while continuing to use it? Or is it better to reformat
it into EXT4 and making a new backup afterwords? <endquote>

In Australia, I do this too, but to a compressed NTFS 2tb partition,
USB2. NTFS-compressed, is an advanced version of BTRFS, imo. It
already has it's file checkers, unerase apps, defrag, etc.

In Win7, I then run 'Doublekiller' to remove duplicates, by filesize &
checksum recognition. Yet to find a Linux app to do this.

Since all my data files of every op sys (Win7-64, Win-XP-32, + 4
version of Ubuntu, both pae-32 & 64 bit) are on NTFS-compressed
partitions. Not NTFS-3G because I want both compression & encryption.

I will publish this easy partition later soon. Perhaps Youtube. It's
much easier to Youtube than publishing here.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Ioannis Vranos

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Greg Zeng <gregzeng@gmail.com> wrote:
> <quote> My experiences so far can be summarised as follows.
> http://luckybackup.sourceforge.net/
> I successfully managed to make a complete backup of the WHOLE home
> directory to the biggest external HD: "WD Elements" , 2 Terabytes. The
> strange aspect of this experience is the way in which that HD has been
> formatted: NTFS. But there was not one single error report.

Keep in mind that if you just copied and pasted the files, they did
not preserve their Linux file permissions.

> My question is: what best to do with the big external HD? Leaving it
> as it is now while continuing to use it? Or is it better to reformat
> it into EXT4 and making a new backup afterwords? <endquote>

EXT4 is far superior to NTFS.

EXT4 has a very fast full filesystem check, it protects very much
against file/directory fragmentation, it provides fast deletion of
many files and large files, etc.

I suggest, if you do not use the disk in some Windows installation, to
replace NTFS with EXT4.

> In Australia, I do this too, but to a compressed NTFS 2tb partition,
> USB2. *NTFS-compressed, is an advanced version of BTRFS, imo. *It
> already has it's file checkers, unerase apps, defrag, etc.
>
> In Win7, I then run 'Doublekiller' to remove duplicates, by filesize &
> checksum recognition. *Yet to find a Linux app to do this.

For my backups, I am using Grsync, which is a GUI rsync front end.

To have completely identical data of one directory, in another, I have
selected ONLY the following options in Grsync:

Basic Options: Preserve time, Preserve owner, Preserve permissions,
Preserve group, Delete on destination, Verbose, Show transfer
progress.

Advanced Options: Preserve devices (it includes and the --specials
command line option), Copy symlinks as symlinks, Protect remote args.

For Preferences, select the ones you want.

> Since all my data files of every op sys (Win7-64, Win-XP-32, + 4
> version of Ubuntu, both pae-32 & 64 bit) are on NTFS-compressed
> partitions. *Not NTFS-3G because I want both compression & encryption.

Keep in mind, that in the upcoming Microsoft ReFS, which will replace
NTFS eventually, File compression and File level encryption were
removed.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 02-07-2012, 10:01 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

/

[...]

//

//

/
/

Nice to see someone recommending it though

Mark

Respectfully yours,
Bas.

====================
*/Bas G. Roufs/*
Van 't Hoffstraat 1
NL-3514 VT Utrecht
M./SMS +31 6 446 835 10
T. +31 30 785 2040
E. BasRoufs@gmail.com <mailto:BasRoufs@gmail.com>

BAs,
Maybe you had thought about it yourself and perhaps thought it is
overkill but I use for > 2 years Backuppc (it's in the repositories)
which is browser oriented. You have to read somewhat in the manual
(organized as a wiki) but I find it reasonably user-friendly and I us a
1 TB external disk for the backups. I use it to backup 3 desktops and 1
laptop and it is completely stand-alone. It is my life-saver as I had a
complete disk-crash 6 month ago and I lost nothing. It is also
invaluable if you upgrade your system (or change for a completely new
one). Just be careful with permissions as that can sometimes give you
unexpected surprises.

Joep