Old 01-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Paul Kaplan

Default kde 4.8 workspace problem

Upgrade an oneric machine to 4.8. *Now the kde desktop is unusable. *Login is OK, but I have the following problems (there may be more):
- Windows don't get redrawn or come to the front unless they are first minimized and then restored- Keyboard input is delayed several minutes before appearing on screen, bot mouse moves normally- Can't access the application launcher
I tried replacing ~/.kde, but with no improvement
Everything works fine if I launch in safemode.
Any thoughts on the root cause?
Is there an enumeration of what is inactivated in safemode so I can troubleshoot?
Thanks,Paul--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Basil Chupin

Upgrade an oneric machine to 4.8. Now the kde desktop is unusable.
Login is OK, but I have the following problems (there may be more):

- Windows don't get redrawn or come to the front unless they are first
minimized and then restored
- Keyboard input is delayed several minutes before appearing on
screen, bot mouse moves normally

- Can't access the application launcher

I tried replacing ~/.kde, but with no improvement

Everything works fine if I launch in safemode.

Any thoughts on the root cause?

Is there an enumeration of what is inactivated in safemode so I can
troubleshoot?

Thanks,
Paul

All known problems as reported (elsewhere) by different users.

BC

--
But when you take arms from people, then you start to upset them, you show you do not trust them because you are frightened or cagey.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Old 01-29-2012, 02:43 AM
Paul Kaplan

> On 29/01/12 00:01, Paul Kaplan wrote:
>> Upgrade an oneric machine to 4.8. *Now the kde desktop is unusable.
>> *Login is OK, but I have the following problems (there may be more):
>>
>> - Windows don't get redrawn or come to the front unless they are first
>> minimized and then restored
>> - Keyboard input is delayed several minutes before appearing on
>> screen, bot mouse moves normally
>> - Can't access the application launcher
>>
>> I tried replacing ~/.kde, but with no improvement
>>
>> Everything works fine if I launch in safemode.
>>
>> Any thoughts on the root cause?
>>
>> Is there an enumeration of what is inactivated in safemode so I can
>> troubleshoot?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul
>
>All known problems as reported (elsewhere) by different users.

>BC

...Except that I upgraded another similarly setup machine and have no problems in normal mode.
Do we know how safemode differs from normal login?
Paul

Old 01-29-2012, 02:53 AM
Basil Chupin

On 29/01/12 14:43, Paul Kaplan wrote:

> On 29/01/12 00:01, Paul Kaplan wrote:
>> Upgrade an oneric machine to 4.8. Now the kde desktop is unusable.
>> Login is OK, but I have the following problems (there may be more):
>>
>> - Windows don't get redrawn or come to the front unless they are first
>> minimized and then restored
>> - Keyboard input is delayed several minutes before appearing on
>> screen, bot mouse moves normally
>> - Can't access the application launcher
>>
>> I tried replacing ~/.kde, but with no improvement
>>
>> Everything works fine if I launch in safemode.
>>
>> Any thoughts on the root cause?
>>
>> Is there an enumeration of what is inactivated in safemode so I can
>> troubleshoot?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul
>
>All known problems as reported (elsewhere) by different users.

>BC

...Except that I upgraded another similarly setup machine and have no
problems in normal mode.

Do we know how safemode differs from normal login?

I don't. But perhaps it has something to do with not using some part of
QT which I understand, from the I way I interpreted what I read
elsewhere, is where the hassles stem from, ie "upstream". (You know, the
usual, "It's not us - it's THEM! :-) .)

BC

Old 01-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Steve Morris

Hi,

*** I've installed kde 4.8 on my oneric machine from scratch (kde
was not previously installed) and with the little I've used of it
the only problem I have is that on the first shutdown kde refused
to. I have yet to try shutting down this morning, but will be doing
so soon, so will have a better idea if it is a permanent problem.
Did you have a similar problem on your system?

regards,

Steve

Old 01-30-2012, 01:23 AM
Paul Kaplan

Only occasionally and not in 4.8.Paul

Old 01-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Steve Morris

I have rebooted kde several times and it shuts down correctly. This
is also not unusual as I have had the same problem in other versions
of kde as well. I've also noticed that its startup speed is a bit
poor, but the default font used within kde is significantly crisper
than that used under unity.

regards,

Steve