Old 01-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Lindsay Mathieson

Default 12.04 Daily Ok as a desktop?

I realise its not even an alpha yet but are people using it?

As usual my current desktop is getting flaky due to the immense amount of
testing, custom builds etc - time for a fresh reinstall. really liking 4.8 so
considering trying 12.04, on a different partition of course.
--
Lindsay

Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Girard Henri

I use it from the beginning : I am very surprised how 12.04 is so good
up to now

I installed daily livecd to avoid too much update.
thanks all ubuntu and open people who do such a good work

regards
Henri

Old 01-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Steve Riley

On 2012-01-27 14:21:52 Girard Henri <girardhenri@free.fr> wrote:
> I use it from the beginning : I am very surprised how 12.04 is so good
> up to now
>
> I installed daily livecd to avoid too much update.
> thanks all ubuntu and open people who do such a good work
>
> regards
> Henri
>
> Le vendredi 27 janvier 2012 à 21:38 +1000, Lindsay Mathieson a écrit :
> > I realise its not even an alpha yet but are people using it?
> >
> > As usual my current desktop is getting flaky due to the immense amount of
> > testing, custom builds etc - time for a fresh reinstall. really liking 4.8
> > so considering trying 12.04, on a different partition of course.

Another vote "yes" here. My secondary machine is built up through the expert-
mode CLI from the netboot boot.img.gz, followed by manually installing most
(but not all) of KDE from the Ubuntu repos. I've added the PPAs for Muon
experimental and xorg-edgers. The thing is near flawless.

Recently I received a ThinkPad X1 to replace that machine, and am following
the same route. Intentionally I've configured it for UEFI only and want to use
a GPT partition table; this is turning out to be a bit of a struggle because
my knowledge of these two is rather light at the moment. One bit I've noticed:
GRUB2 is probably too complex for this configuration, especially since I've no
need for dual-booting. ELILO looks to be a better choice.

--Steve

Old 01-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Kaj Haulrich