Old 01-27-2012, 06:06 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default 4.8 - just great!

Instead of all the negative criticism we often give to KDE and/or KDEPIM
for various changes and related bugs, here comes a huge THUMBS UP!

Just started using KDE 4.8 and now it is really feeling like the pieces
are falling in place! Smooth, am yet to find a bug I consider worth
complaining about.

KDEPIM2 really getting there as well, Search still a bit "amputated" but
otherwise all well.

And for the first time Desktop Search actually seems to work and is not
killing my computer by overloading the CPU.

NOTE though I had to set Desktop Search RAM to 350 Mb...and virtuos-t is
using 327 as I write ;-) so there is room for improvement still.

Kudos both to KDE devs and Kubuntu crew!

Sinclair

Old 01-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Thomas Tanghus Olsen

On Friday 27 January 2012 09:06 O. Sinclair wrote:
> Instead of all the negative criticism we often give to KDE and/or KDEPIM
> for various changes and related bugs, here comes a huge THUMBS UP!
>
> Just started using KDE 4.8 and now it is really feeling like the pieces
> are falling in place! Smooth, am yet to find a bug I consider worth
> complaining about.
>
> KDEPIM2 really getting there as well, Search still a bit "amputated" but
> otherwise all well.
>
> And for the first time Desktop Search actually seems to work and is not
> killing my computer by overloading the CPU.
>
> NOTE though I had to set Desktop Search RAM to 350 Mb...and virtuos-t is
> using 327 as I write ;-) so there is room for improvement still.
>
> Kudos both to KDE devs and Kubuntu crew!

As I wrote yesterday I find it pretty slick too, but I have the opposite
experience with Nepomuk. It had been working fine for me in the latest release
cycles of 4.7.x but now I find it using all my CPU (I also have it set to use
350MB) and this morning I found it had produced a 44GB (sic!) .xsession-errors
file with mostly stuff like:

[/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub] "/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub(5037)" Soprano:
"SQLExecDirect failed on query 'sparql SELECT DISTINCT ?r ?reqProp1 WHERE {
nepomuk:/res/33d212b9-6fe6-4a70-84e0-1fa988577a86 a ?v2 .
nepomuk:/res/33d212b9-6fe6-4a70-84e0-1fa988577a86 <http://akonadi-
project.org/ontologies/aneo#akonadiItemId> ?reqProp1 . } LIMIT 1' (iODBC
Error: [OpenLink][Virtuoso iODBC Driver][Virtuoso Server]SQ074: Line 1: SP030:
SPARQL compiler, line 1: Undefined namespace prefix at 'nepomuk' before '/')"
[/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub] Query failed: "sparql SELECT DISTINCT ?r
?reqProp1 WHERE { nepomuk:/res/33d212b9-6fe6-4a70-84e0-1fa988577a86 a ?v2 .
nepomuk:/res/33d212b9-6fe6-4a70-84e0-1fa988577a86 <http://akonadi-
project.org/ontologies/aneo#akonadiItemId> ?reqProp1 . } LIMIT 1"

Until it gave up with 3 virtuoso-t processes and 1 knotify4 process fighting
over the CPU and filling the rest of the log with:

(knotify4:4913): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_poll_write_control: assertion `set
!= NULL' failed

(knotify4:4913): GStreamer-WARNING **: gstsystemclock: write control failed in
wakeup_async, trying again : 24:Too many open files

Now I have disabled Nepomuk until I have investigated it more (it's a longish
task to look through a 44GB file) and will submit a bug report later.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus Olsen