Old 01-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Bruce Bales

Default Difficult upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04

I think I need a lot of help. I recently upgraded from 8.04 to 10.04. With
8.04, I could put a panel up on the left side of my screen and populate it
with icons representing different programs I use frequently. One-click
selection. I haven't found a way to put the panel there.

Is this possible in 10.04?
bruce

Old 01-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Waleed Hamra

On 25/01/12 18:24, Bruce Bales wrote:
> I think I need a lot of help. I recently upgraded from 8.04 to 10.04. With
> 8.04, I could put a panel up on the left side of my screen and populate it
> with icons representing different programs I use frequently. One-click
> selection. I haven't found a way to put the panel there.
>
> Is this possible in 10.04?
> bruce

i believe so. try this:
right-click on an empty area of your plasma workspace (the desktop), and
choose "unlock widgets". if you dont see this option and see instead
"lock widgets", then they're already unlocked.
in that right-click menu, after unlocking widgets, choose "add panel",
which should offer 2 options, choose "empty panel" from them.
you will see an empty bar appear on your screen. its location will
depend on your plasma settings. it might appear on top, or on some side.
if that's not where you want the panel to be, look for the cashew button
on one side of the panel. click it. you should get a sort of hover panel
over the normal panel. this hovering thing contains an icon called
"screen edge". click and hold the click over this button and move the
panel to the side of the screen that you would like the panel to be at.
release the mouse click when satisfied.
you can use the width button to adjust the panel's width as well.
once that is done, we move to the next part, adding icons to this panel.
right-click on the panel and click "add widgets". you should get the
list of widgets, look for one called "quicklaunch", it has a rocket
icon. again, click and hold the mouse click on it and drag it to your
new panel. release the mouse button. you should now have a launcher in
that panel. right-click on the launcher and modify its settings. the
most important setting is probably the row setting. uncheck the
automatic determining of row settings, and choose "1" from the spin box,
and click ok. this makes the icons larger. now right-click on the
quicklauncher and choose "add launcher". add as many shortcuts as you like!

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 01-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Nils Kassube

Bruce Bales wrote:
> I think I need a lot of help. I recently upgraded from 8.04 to
> 10.04. With 8.04, I could put a panel up on the left side of my
> screen and populate it with icons representing different programs I
> use frequently. One-click selection. I haven't found a way to put
> the panel there.

If necessary, right-click on the desktop (or panel) and select "Unlock
Widgets". Right-click on the desktop and select "Add Panel". A small
panel should appear at the upper left corner. Left-click on that panel
and move the "Screen Edge" button to the side of the screen. Between the
vertical bar with the buttons "Screen Edge", "Width", etc. and the panel
at the side of the screen there are two sliders. Move the sliders to set
the panel hight. Finally click somewhere on the desktop and you should
have an empty panel on the side of the desktop. You can now move
application icons from the K-menu to the new panel. When done, you can
right-click on the desktop (or panel) and select "Lock Widgets".

Nils

Old 01-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Bruce Bales

On Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:26:56 pm Waleed Hamra wrote:
> On 25/01/12 18:24, Bruce Bales wrote:
> > I think I need a lot of help. I recently upgraded from 8.04 to 10.04.
> > With 8.04, I could put a panel up on the left side of my screen and
> > populate it with icons representing different programs I use
frequently.
> > One-click selection. I haven't found a way to put the panel there.
> >
> > Is this possible in 10.04?
> > bruce
>
> i believe so. try this:
> right-click on an empty area of your plasma workspace (the desktop),
and
> choose "unlock widgets". if you dont see this option and see instead
> "lock widgets", then they're already unlocked.
> in that right-click menu, after unlocking widgets, choose "add panel",
> which should offer 2 options, choose "empty panel" from them.
> you will see an empty bar appear on your screen. its location will
> depend on your plasma settings. it might appear on top, or on some
side.
> if that's not where you want the panel to be, look for the cashew
button
> on one side of the panel. click it. you should get a sort of hover panel
> over the normal panel. this hovering thing contains an icon called
> "screen edge". click and hold the click over this button and move the
> panel to the side of the screen that you would like the panel to be at.
> release the mouse click when satisfied.
> you can use the width button to adjust the panel's width as well.
> once that is done, we move to the next part, adding icons to this
panel.
> right-click on the panel and click "add widgets". you should get the
> list of widgets, look for one called "quicklaunch", it has a rocket
> icon. again, click and hold the mouse click on it and drag it to your
> new panel. release the mouse button. you should now have a
launcher in
> that panel. right-click on the launcher and modify its settings. the
> most important setting is probably the row setting. uncheck the
> automatic determining of row settings, and choose "1" from the spin
box,
> and click ok. this makes the icons larger. now right-click on the
> quicklauncher and choose "add launcher". add as many shortcuts as
you like!

I got the panel up and got it placed and sized. Unfortunately, I must
leave for a while. will populate it this afternoon.

Thank you ever so much.
bruce

Old 01-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Bruce Bales

On Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:53:09 pm Bruce Bales wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:26:56 pm Waleed Hamra wrote:
> > On 25/01/12 18:24, Bruce Bales wrote:
> > > I think I need a lot of help. I recently upgraded from 8.04 to
10.04.
> > > With 8.04, I could put a panel up on the left side of my screen
and
> > > populate it with icons representing different programs I use
>
> frequently.
>
> > > One-click selection. I haven't found a way to put the panel
there.

> > > Is this possible in 10.04?
> > > bruce
> >
> > i believe so. try this:
> > right-click on an empty area of your plasma workspace (the
desktop),

> and
>
> > choose "unlock widgets". if you dont see this option and see
instead
> > "lock widgets", then they're already unlocked.
> > in that right-click menu, after unlocking widgets, choose "add
panel",
> > which should offer 2 options, choose "empty panel" from them.
> > you will see an empty bar appear on your screen. its location will
> > depend on your plasma settings. it might appear on top, or on
some

> side.
>
> > if that's not where you want the panel to be, look for the cashew
>
> button
>
> > on one side of the panel. click it. you should get a sort of hover
panel
> > over the normal panel. this hovering thing contains an icon called
> > "screen edge". click and hold the click over this button and move
the
> > panel to the side of the screen that you would like the panel to be
at.
> > release the mouse click when satisfied.
> > you can use the width button to adjust the panel's width as well.
> > once that is done, we move to the next part, adding icons to this
>
> panel.
>
> > right-click on the panel and click "add widgets". you should get the
> > list of widgets, look for one called "quicklaunch", it has a rocket
> > icon. again, click and hold the mouse click on it and drag it to your
> > new panel. release the mouse button. you should now have a
>
> launcher in
>
> > that panel. right-click on the launcher and modify its settings. the
> > most important setting is probably the row setting. uncheck the
> > automatic determining of row settings, and choose "1" from the
spin

> box,
>
> > and click ok. this makes the icons larger. now right-click on the
> > quicklauncher and choose "add launcher". add as many shortcuts
as

> you like!
>
> I got the panel up and got it placed and sized. Unfortunately, I must
> leave for a while. will populate it this afternoon.
>
> Thank you ever so much.
> bruce

It's not working. When I look down the list of widget icons, I get to
"microblogging" and it locks up so I can't go further (to quicklauncher).
Actually, it locks up halfway through the word "microblogging."

After I put the application launcher on the panel it disappears except
for a little square in the upper L/H corner and it looks like there are
several little semi-transparent panels overlapping. When I click on it, I
get the panel (about 2.5 inches wide), but the panel doesn't contain the
icon for the application launcher program I put on it. That icon stays in
the corner. When I add another program, there is still only one icon, the
application launcher icon, on it.

Discouraging,
bruce

Old 01-26-2012, 12:44 AM
Mark Greenwood

On 26 Jan 2012, at 01:39, Bruce Bales wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I got the panel up and got it placed and sized. Unfortunately, I must
>> leave for a while. will populate it this afternoon.
>>
>> Thank you ever so much.
>> bruce
>
> It's not working. When I look down the list of widget icons, I get to
> "microblogging" and it locks up so I can't go further (to quicklauncher).
> Actually, it locks up halfway through the word "microblogging."
>
> After I put the application launcher on the panel it disappears except
> for a little square in the upper L/H corner and it looks like there are
> several little semi-transparent panels overlapping. When I click on it, I
> get the panel (about 2.5 inches wide), but the panel doesn't contain the
> icon for the application launcher program I put on it. That icon stays in
> the corner. When I add another program, there is still only one icon, the

If you just want a panel from which you can launch applications you don't need the application launcher app on the panel, you can just drag apps from any existing application launcher onto your new panel.

Mark

Old 01-26-2012, 04:16 AM
Bruce Bales

On Wednesday, January 25, 2012 07:44:32 pm Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On 26 Jan 2012, at 01:39, Bruce Bales wrote:
> > On Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:53:09 pm Bruce Bales wrote:
> >
> > 10.04.

> > and

> >> frequently.

> > there.

> > desktop),
> >
> >> and

> > instead

> > panel",

> > some
> >
> >> side.

> >> button

> > panel

> > the

> > at.

> >> panel.

> >> launcher in

the

> > spin
> >
> >> box,

shortcuts

> > as
> >
> >> you like!
> >>
> >> I got the panel up and got it placed and sized. Unfortunately, I
must
> >> leave for a while. will populate it this afternoon.
> >>
> >> Thank you ever so much.
> >> bruce
> >
> > It's not working. When I look down the list of widget icons, I get to
> > "microblogging" and it locks up so I can't go further (to
quicklauncher).
> > Actually, it locks up halfway through the word "microblogging."
> >
> > After I put the application launcher on the panel it disappears
except
> > for a little square in the upper L/H corner and it looks like there are
> > several little semi-transparent panels overlapping. When I click on
it,
> > I get the panel (about 2.5 inches wide), but the panel doesn't
contain
> > the icon for the application launcher program I put on it. That icon
> > stays in the corner. When I add another program, there is still only
> > one icon, the application launcher icon, on it.
>
> If you just want a panel from which you can launch applications you
don't
> need the application launcher app on the panel, you can just drag
apps
> from any existing application launcher onto your new panel.
>
> Mark

I got it!! There were three panels in that corner. I removed all of them
and started over. My big mistake was in thinking that an application
might be called a widget. The applications were what I wanted and I
now have them.

Thanks to everyone,
bruce