Old 01-24-2012, 04:39 PM
uteck

Default Logitech Quickcam E 3500 no sound

Did you check the audio capture options in kmix? It is probably
looking to the wrong input/capture device, or maybe muted.

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Nigel Ridley
<nigel@prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I just bought a Logitech Quickcam E 3500 and installed cheese.
> The camera works fine but I can't get the included mic to work.
> I have tried Kmix > Sound and Video configuration > Video Recording >
> Recording
> The webcam is there and I can click on the Test button and see a video but
> no sound.
> I played around with different options under the various tabs (under Sound
> Card the webcam is there but when I click on it still no sound).
>
> Aren't these USB devices meant to just simply work?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Nigel

no .sig found
Please restart your browser.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Waleed Hamra

On 24/01/12 19:26, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I just bought a Logitech Quickcam E 3500 and installed cheese.
> The camera works fine but I can't get the included mic to work.
> I have tried Kmix > Sound and Video configuration > Video Recording >
> Recording
> The webcam is there and I can click on the Test button and see a video
> but no sound.
> I played around with different options under the various tabs (under
> Sound Card the webcam is there but when I click on it still no sound).
>
> Aren't these USB devices meant to just simply work?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Nigel

not sure with how linux/phonon/KDE/pulse handle multiple sound devices.
technically, the camera should show up as a sound device with recording
support only. try systemsettings --> multimedia --> phonon --> recording
section . and see if the camera is listed there. it should be available
along with your default sound card. raise it higher in the list.

hope this helps.

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Nigel Ridley

I just bought a Logitech Quickcam E 3500 and installed cheese.
The camera works fine but I can't get the included mic to work.
I have tried Kmix > Sound and Video configuration > Video Recording > Recording
The webcam is there and I can click on the Test button and see a video but no sound.
I played around with different options under the various tabs (under Sound Card the webcam is
there but when I click on it still no sound).

Aren't these USB devices meant to just simply work?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Nigel

Since getting the webcam inbuilt microphone to work I now have another problem :-(
I have now removed the webcam (USB) but the KMix icon on the kicker bar doesn't adjust nor mute
the speakers. I tried all the configuration option in all the places I could find but still no
adjusting.
BUT, if I start a downloaded video using DragonPlayer I then get an extra option in the Kmix
mixer under the Playback Streams named 'dragonplayer: Playback Stream' and I can then adjust the
sound level and mute it.
If I play a YouTube video I then get, under the Playback Streams, one named 'ALSA plug-in
[plugin-container]: Alsa Playback' and again I can adjust sound levels and mute it.

Under System Settings > Multimedia > Phonon I have the laptops internal sound card selected for
everything and the 'test' button works - there is sound.

So how do I get the Kmix icon on the kicker bar to give me back my sound level control?

TIA,

Nigel

Old 01-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Mark Greenwood

On 27 Jan 2012, at 11:14, Nigel Ridley wrote:

> On 01/24/2012 07:26 PM, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I just bought a Logitech Quickcam E 3500 and installed cheese.
>> The camera works fine but I can't get the included mic to work.
>> I have tried Kmix > Sound and Video configuration > Video Recording > Recording
>> The webcam is there and I can click on the Test button and see a video but no sound.
>> I played around with different options under the various tabs (under Sound Card the webcam is
>> there but when I click on it still no sound).
>>
>> Aren't these USB devices meant to just simply work?
>>
>> Any help greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Nigel
>>

> Since getting the webcam inbuilt microphone to work I now have another problem :-(
> I have now removed the webcam (USB) but the KMix icon on the kicker bar doesn't adjust nor mute the speakers. I tried all the configuration option in all the places I could find but still no adjusting.
> BUT, if I start a downloaded video using DragonPlayer I then get an extra option in the Kmix mixer under the Playback Streams named 'dragonplayer: Playback Stream' and I can then adjust the sound level and mute it.
> If I play a YouTube video I then get, under the Playback Streams, one named 'ALSA plug-in [plugin-container]: Alsa Playback' and again I can adjust sound levels and mute it.
>
> Under System Settings > Multimedia > Phonon I have the laptops internal sound card selected for everything and the 'test' button works - there is sound.
>
> So how do I get the Kmix icon on the kicker bar to give me back my sound level control?

Right-click it, then 'Select Master Channel'.

Mark

Old 01-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Nigel Ridley

[...]

Did that - no joy :-(