Old 11-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Jussi Kekkonen

Default Feeling like a 2nd class citizen

Hi!

I use Konqueror and Konqueror only UNLESS I face some serious difficulties
(that is, pretty much never). Also, if page isn't seriously important to me
and it's unusable with Konqueror, I just simply ignore that page/site, as I
just "fit on" to Konqueror, other browsers just doesn't feel right, are
uncomfortable to use etc etc.

So yes, we have people here who uses it as their main browser.

Your old grumpy ranty hermit from snowy mountains <3
--
Jussi Kekkonen tm_travolta(at)kapsi.fi & jussi.kekkonen@gmail.com

Old 11-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Larry Hartman

On Tuesday 27 November 2007 11:46:13 pm Donn wrote:
> > My point is that there is no need to run Firefox on wine in Linux.
>
> Too true -- all you get out the other end is Drunkfox.

Just want to throw this thought out here.....my wife goes to college and many
of her courses require web access to Pearson's Course Compass. Course
Compass uses Shockwave. Shockwave is not available to Linux. I have
contacted both the Shockwave folks and Course Compass folks for increased
compatibility. Sometimes you need a 20-ton dump truck to move a penny. I
don't own such equipment.

However, this Shockwave thingie and Coourse Compass is what is holding me up
in moving my wife's laptop to Kubuntu. The only solution I know of at my
immediate disposal is Firefox in WINE with the Shockwave plugin. If you two
folk (or anyone else) know a better solution to this issue I am sure a bunch
of us would like to know.

Larry

Old 11-28-2007, 02:15 PM
"O. Sinclair"

Larry Hartman wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 November 2007 11:46:13 pm Donn wrote:
>
>>> My point is that there is no need to run Firefox on wine in Linux.
>>>
>> Too true -- all you get out the other end is Drunkfox.

> Just want to throw this thought out here.....my wife goes to college and many
> of her courses require web access to Pearson's Course Compass. Course
> Compass uses Shockwave. Shockwave is not available to Linux. I have
> contacted both the Shockwave folks and Course Compass folks for increased
> compatibility. Sometimes you need a 20-ton dump truck to move a penny. I
> don't own such equipment.
>
> However, this Shockwave thingie and Coourse Compass is what is holding me up
> in moving my wife's laptop to Kubuntu. The only solution I know of at my
> immediate disposal is Firefox in WINE with the Shockwave plugin. If you two
> folk (or anyone else) know a better solution to this issue I am sure a bunch
> of us would like to know.
>

> Larry

Maybe the IEs4linux could help you out there? Not that I recommend but
if it helps her out of the "win"dows world then why not??

Sinclair

Old 11-28-2007, 03:01 PM
"Jonathan Jesse"

> [...]
>> > 64-bit Kubuntu, but it is getting to the point that browsing the web
>> is
>> > just easier, and more fun in Internet Explorer.
>> >
>> > I know that Google and GMail don't always play nice with Konqueror and
>> > have lived to accept it, but it is other sites that I am getting sick
>> of
>> > trying to deal with.
>> > I can to a page, an example being Facebook, and not get all of the
>> images
>> > or all of the links to work. I go to a travel site to book airplane
>> > tickets and get to use the "basic" settings, I go to a page and am
>> told
>> > flash is not installed when I do have the non-free version of flash
>> > installed or even better I click on a link and nothing happens until I
>> > click on the link 3 or 4 times and finally the "gear" starts spinning
>> and
>> > I get the page I want. Another fun problem is when I increase the
>> font
>> > size the text blurs together and I can't read it.... or go to a page
>> that
>> > has a form and the text runs into the form so I don't really know what
>> I'm
>> > filling out.
>> >
>> > Is it just that I need to switch to Firefox on my Kubuntu install? Or
>> > should I stick to browsing the web in my XP VM, cause things "just
>> work"
>> > there.
>>
>> Konqueror, when operating as a web-browser, is simple and
>> underpowered compared to Firefox etc..
>>
>> It sounds like the solution for you might be to
>> install the win32 version of Firefox and install the
>> flash plugin.
>> Here's how I did it:
>>
>> 1) I got the latest version of Wine.
>> Quite recently I went to the Wine website for the
>> latest version, and I noticed it's a newer version
>> than the one in Adept. I looked at the change history
>> between the versions and saw all just bug fixes.
>> So I installed the newer version.
>> (I think I added the Wine website to my package sources
>> list and then used Adept...?)
>>
>> 2) I got the Win32 version of Mozilla Firefox.
>> I browsed to the Firefox download page in Konqueror and configured
>> Konqueror Browser Identification to be Internet Explorer on
>> Windows so that the Mozilla website diplays the Windows version
>> to download.
>>
>> 3) Then I ran the Firefox setup executable in the console:
>>
>> wine "Firefox Setup 2.0.0.9.exe"
>>
>> You should now have a Firefox icon to click. (I chose to
>> make one myself.)
>>
>> Hope that helps,
>>
>> Anton.
>
> You run the windows version of Fx in wine? You are aware that you can
> run 32 bit Firefox on a 64 bit system, no?
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> ?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-?-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

Wow its been an interesting converstation in regards to my email. Half
the people seem to be using Konqi and the other half recommend Firefox.
Maybe I'll install FF and see where things are at
--
Jonathan Jesse

Old 11-28-2007, 03:01 PM
"Jonathan Jesse"

Old 11-28-2007, 03:03 PM
"Leendert Hubertha Stuyt"

Mongo mumbles firefox works for me..........

Old 11-28-2007, 03:18 PM
"Tipton, Timothy"

> Oops, I'm on 32-bit and missed that the original poster's machine
> is 64-bit. I don't know how well Firefox for Windows runs on 64-bit.

What exactly is the purpose of running Firefox for windows on Linux? Am
I missing something here?

Thanks,
Tim

Old 11-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Derek Broughton

Thomas Olsen wrote:

> On Tue 27 November 2007 09:52, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
>>
>> It's quite interesting to read the responses to your post. I've been
>> using Konqueror as my primary browser for the last 6-7 years. And I think
>> it is doing really well. Though once in a while I encounter a
>> non-standard-compliant (aka IE-only) website for which I then use
>> Firefox.
>>
>> So I'd say Konqueror is one of the best standard-compliant websites and
>> my "web-sphere" apparently consist of mostly standard-compliant websites!
>> :-)
>
> I second that. I only use FireFox for my web bank.

Web banking is notoriously bad (probably because - and I have personal
experience here) banks have a bad tendency to use their in-house mainframe
developers to build web sites. Nevertheless, my bank's services all work
with konqueror.
--
derek

Old 11-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Benjamin Heil

Also try opera. You must include the "partners"-repos to install it (just
edit /etc/apt/sources.list and uncomment the line). It's not open source but
the fastest browser in my opinion. And opera has a lot of nice
features ....

Old 11-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Nigel Ridley

Tipton, Timothy wrote:
>> Oops, I'm on 32-bit and missed that the original poster's machine
>> is 64-bit. I don't know how well Firefox for Windows runs on 64-bit.
>
> What exactly is the purpose of running Firefox for windows on Linux? Am
> I missing something here?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

So he can run Shockwave -- which isn't available for Linux -yet (see:
http://www.petitiononline.com/linuxswp/petition.html)
Also:
http://www.ubuntux.org/shockwave-player-ubuntu-linux

Blessings,