Old 01-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Francesco Antonetti Lamorgese Passeri

Default NAS and managing electrical mains

Hi,

I've Kubuntu 11.10 on my notebook and a Lacie NAS wired to my home LAN.
Usually i mount the shares on the NAS as local file systems (/mnt/NAS),
to make it usable for certain software not supporting network protocols.
I would solve this problem: sometimes happens the elctrical mains goes
down suddenly, so my notebook loses the connection to the NAS. In this
case, if i turn off the notebook, it takes several minutes to shutdown,
beacuse, i suppose, the system don't recognizes the connection loss. How
can i instruct the system to recognize the connection loss quickly and
unmount the remote partitions?

Thank you very much

Francesco

Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Alvin

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 14:51:43 +0100, Francesco Antonetti Lamorgese Passeri
I've Kubuntu 11.10 on my notebook and a Lacie NAS wired to my home LAN.
Usually i mount the shares on the NAS as local file systems (/mnt/NAS),
to make it usable for certain software not supporting network protocols.
I would solve this problem: sometimes happens the elctrical mains goes
down suddenly, so my notebook loses the connection to the NAS. In this
case, if i turn off the notebook, it takes several minutes to shutdown,
beacuse, i suppose, the system don't recognizes the connection loss. How
can i instruct the system to recognize the connection loss quickly and
unmount the remote partitions?

You'd connect your UPS to the notebook and write a script that unmounts
when the UPS reaches a certain battery level.

Seriously, there's no other good solution. I suppose you could 'ping' the
NAS and then force an unmount, but that's very ugly. Besides, you don't
want the unmount, you'd want to stop the processes using the NAS.
Otherwise data could end up where you don't want it.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:35 PM
uteck

You can unmount the NAS with the the lazy option; -l
I use this when my NAS becomes unresponsive and locks up the KDE desktop.
"man umount" for more information.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Alvin <info@alvin.be> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 14:51:43 +0100, Francesco Antonetti Lamorgese Passeri
> <antlampas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've Kubuntu 11.10 on my notebook and a Lacie NAS wired to my home LAN.
>> Usually i mount the shares on the NAS as local file systems (/mnt/NAS), to
>> make it usable for certain software not supporting network protocols. I
>> would solve this problem: sometimes happens the elctrical mains goes down
>> suddenly, so my notebook loses the connection to the NAS. In this case, if i
>> turn off the notebook, it takes several minutes to shutdown, beacuse, i
>> suppose, the system don't recognizes the connection loss. How can i instruct
>> the system to recognize the connection loss quickly and unmount the remote
>> partitions?
>

> You'd connect your UPS to the notebook and write a script that unmounts when
> the UPS reaches a certain battery level.
>
> Seriously, there's no other good solution. I suppose you could 'ping' the
> NAS and then force an unmount, but that's very ugly. Besides, you don't want
> the unmount, you'd want to stop the processes using the NAS. Otherwise data
> could end up where you don't want it.

no .sig found
Please restart your browser.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Francesco Antonetti Lamorgese Passeri

You'd connect your UPS to the notebook and write a script that
unmounts when the UPS reaches a certain battery level.

Seriously, there's no other good solution. I suppose you could 'ping'
the NAS and then force an unmount, but that's very ugly. Besides, you
don't want the unmount, you'd want to stop the processes using the
NAS. Otherwise data could end up where you don't want it.

Thank you for the answer,

yes... stop the processes using the NAS makes more sense.
I told about the unmount because one time i tried to unmount the
disconnected NAS, and the command umount /path/to/nas took a very long
time to unmount.
I know: buy an UPS it could be a good idea... meanwhile, i need a
"patch" to manage these events (electrical mains black outs, as well as
sudden wireless connection loss, etc.).

Thank you

Francesco

Old 01-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Francesco Antonetti Lamorgese Passeri

You can unmount the NAS with the the lazy option; -l
I use this when my NAS becomes unresponsive and locks up the KDE desktop.
"man umount" for more information.

It works, thank you
I don't know why i have not seen it before...

Thank you

Old 01-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Francesco Antonetti Lamorgese Passeri