FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Bruce Bales
 
Default Nepomuk performance

On 02/03/2012 05:34 PM, Mark Greenwood wrote:



On 3 Feb 2012, at 22:44, Steve Riley wrote:



On 2012-02-03 23:29:19 Valter Mura
<valtermura@gmail.com>
wrote:
> In data giovedì 19 gennaio 2012
10:55:54, Steve Riley ha scritto:
> > Success seems to happen
only if you follow a certain sequence of steps.
> >
> > $ akonadictl stop
> > $ rm -rfv
~/.local/share/akonadi*
> > $ rm -rfv
~/.config/akonadi/*
> > $ rm -rfv
~/.kde/share/config/*
> > $ akonadictl start
> >
> > Log into your Gmail account
via the web. Go to mail settings | Forwarding
> > and POP/IMAP. Under "When I
mark..." turn off auto-expunge. Under "When a
> > message..." select
"Immediately delete."
> >
> > Then, in KMail, don't use
the account wizard. Instead, manually configure
> > your Gmail settings. When
configuring your IMAP resource, after entering
> > your Google credentials on
the General tab, be sure to go to the Advanced
> > tab and click the Auto
Detect button.
> >
> > Let KMail perform its
initial sync, then close it. Now open it. Return to
> > the configuration window.
Modify your identity and set your sent-mail and
> > drafts folders to the
folders on Google. Modify your IMAP resource and set
> > the trash folder to Google.
>
> Hi,
>
> I have to say that, after having
applied this procedure, Kmail seems to have
> start to work properly again,
for which I am *very happy*. I've started to
> use it again!
¬*

¬*

Cool! Glad it's working for you.
¬*

The akonadi-kde-resource-googledata
plugin now works for Google calendars in Korganizer,
too. Well, it works for your primary calendar, anyway.
If you have secondary Google calendars, you still need
to configure CalDAV resources for those. See:
¬*

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?56434-SOLVED-sync-gmail-amp-kontact-amp-syncevloution-Kubicle-s-how-to&p=278847&viewfull=1#post278847
¬*

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?56434-SOLVED-sync-gmail-amp-kontact-amp-syncevloution-Kubicle-s-how-to&p=278862&viewfull=1#post278862
¬*

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?57137-kmail-gmail-headache&p=286439&viewfull=1#post286439
¬*

--Steve





C'Mon people…. email is over 40 years old. It's no longer
rocket science, it's an everyday activity. If it's this
difficult to configure a client then something is very wrong
with the client in terms of fundamental design. This shouldn't
be tolerated in something which is released for general use.
Shame on you, Kubuntu.



Mark




Yes, Shame on you, Kubuntu.¬* I have used Kubuntu for six or more
years and kmail for probably 10years.¬* But when I upgraded from
Kubuntu 8-04 to 10-04 because I was running out of support time,
suddenly everything was foreign.¬* Kmail became completely useless
and I tried to configure it for several weeks.¬* No good, so I tried
Thunderbird and it lacks so much that the old kmail had that I hate
to use it.¬*



When you download an iso and install you shouldn't have to spend
months making it into a usable system.¬* I don't think I will ever be
able to make this 10-04 into something as easy to use and as
feature-rich as my 8-04 was.



It almost seems like the designers working on each new version have
said, "How can we make this more complicated?" And they found a way.



bruce







--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Valter Mura
 
Default Nepomuk performance

In data sabato 4 febbraio 2012 11:28:16, Mark Greenwood ha scritto:
> On 4 Feb 2012, at 06:09, Steve Riley wrote:
> > On 2012-02-03 23:34:00 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> >> C'Mon people…. email is over 40 years old. It's no longer rocket science,
> >> it's an everyday activity. If it's this difficult to configure a client
> >> then something is very wrong with the client in terms of fundamental
> >> design. This shouldn't be tolerated in something which is released for
> >> general use. Shame on you, Kubuntu.
> >
> > Well, I wouldn't be so quick to fault Kubuntu. Were I to engage in a bit
> > of
> > blamestorming, I'd throw some in Google's direction. If their IMAP were,
> > oh I dunno, _standard_ or something like that, then maybe we wouldn't
> > have so many problems.
>
> Works fine with Thunderbird and Apple Mail. And I don't think the fact the
> account wizard doesn't work, or the fact you have to do a sync, close
> KMail, then reopen it change yet more settings can be blamed on Google.
>
> Like I said. In Apple Mail and Thunderbird the setup procedure is : Enter
> email address and password. That's it. That's how it should be these days.
> Setting up KMail is like setting up email used to be in 1990. It's not good
> enough, and KMail used to be really good indeed. KDE4 seems to have so much
> emphasis on superficial bells and whistles while anything approaching
> functionality has been left till last. It really has all gone a bit
> Windows.

Mark, you're right and I agree with you. I have TB setup and ready to use
(just in case...)
But, as Kmail is KDE native, and I work in the localization team, and I need
to try the Kde apps to check them and to file bugs, and also because I like
Kontact and Kmail, I "do want" to use them, even if I have to struggle for
their use and to understand and help, if possible, the other users in the use.

Of course, I cannot suggest Kmail for production use at its current state, at
work people cannot permit to lose mails or wait hours after an upgrade.
That said, after Steve's suggestions, the system started to work quite smooth
and fast, even if I dedicated 350 MB of 1 GB RAM to Nepomuk, and I have an
"ancient" system (PIV 2.8 ghz / 1 GB Ram / 512 MB video card).

One thing that TB has and for which I want to file a wish for Kmail, is the
possibility to decide how many months the program must check and sync the
server's mail.

Ciao
--
Valter
*Open Source is better!*
Kubuntu: www.kubuntu.org
KDE: www.kde.org
LibreOffice: www.libreoffice.org

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Mark Greenwood
 
Default Nepomuk performance

On 6 Feb 2012, at 19:56, Valter Mura wrote:

> In data sabato 4 febbraio 2012 11:28:16, Mark Greenwood ha scritto:
>> On 4 Feb 2012, at 06:09, Steve Riley wrote:
>>> On 2012-02-03 23:34:00 Mark Greenwood wrote:
>>>> C'Mon people…. email is over 40 years old. It's no longer rocket science,
>>>> it's an everyday activity. If it's this difficult to configure a client
>>>> then something is very wrong with the client in terms of fundamental
>>>> design. This shouldn't be tolerated in something which is released for
>>>> general use. Shame on you, Kubuntu.
>>>
>>> Well, I wouldn't be so quick to fault Kubuntu. Were I to engage in a bit
>>> of
>>> blamestorming, I'd throw some in Google's direction. If their IMAP were,
>>> oh I dunno, _standard_ or something like that, then maybe we wouldn't
>>> have so many problems.
>>
>> Works fine with Thunderbird and Apple Mail. And I don't think the fact the
>> account wizard doesn't work, or the fact you have to do a sync, close
>> KMail, then reopen it change yet more settings can be blamed on Google.
>>
>> Like I said. In Apple Mail and Thunderbird the setup procedure is : Enter
>> email address and password. That's it. That's how it should be these days.
>> Setting up KMail is like setting up email used to be in 1990. It's not good
>> enough, and KMail used to be really good indeed. KDE4 seems to have so much
>> emphasis on superficial bells and whistles while anything approaching
>> functionality has been left till last. It really has all gone a bit
>> Windows.
>
> Mark, you're right and I agree with you. I have TB setup and ready to use
> (just in case...)
> But, as Kmail is KDE native, and I work in the localization team, and I need
> to try the Kde apps to check them and to file bugs, and also because I like
> Kontact and Kmail, I "do want" to use them, even if I have to struggle for
> their use and to understand and help, if possible, the other users in the use.

You're right and I agree entirely. I want to use them too, but in their current state I just can't. It's frustration on my part that Kubuntu never seems to provide a stable platform, there is always something wrong somewhere. I'd love to be able to recommend Linux to friends and family but in 4 years I've never found any single release (of any distro) that I felt I could just let people get on with. It's got so much going for it, all it needs is some serious quality control - and I guess as that's my profession that's why I feel so let down.

Mark

>
> Of course, I cannot suggest Kmail for production use at its current state, at
> work people cannot permit to lose mails or wait hours after an upgrade.
> That said, after Steve's suggestions, the system started to work quite smooth
> and fast, even if I dedicated 350 MB of 1 GB RAM to Nepomuk, and I have an
> "ancient" system (PIV 2.8 ghz / 1 GB Ram / 512 MB video card).
>
> One thing that TB has and for which I want to file a wish for Kmail, is the
> possibility to decide how many months the program must check and sync the
> server's mail.
>
> Ciao
> --
> Valter
> *Open Source is better!*
> Kubuntu: www.kubuntu.org
> KDE: www.kde.org
> LibreOffice: www.libreoffice.org
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Mike McGinn
 
Default Nepomuk performance

On Monday, February 06, 2012 14:56:08 Valter Mura wrote:
> In data sabato 4 febbraio 2012 11:28:16, Mark Greenwood ha scritto:
> > On 4 Feb 2012, at 06:09, Steve Riley wrote:
> > > On 2012-02-03 23:34:00 Mark Greenwood wrote:
> > >> C'Mon people√Ę?Ň*. email is over 40 years old. It's no longer rocket
> > >> science, it's an everyday activity. If it's this difficult to
> > >> configure a client then something is very wrong with the client in
> > >> terms of fundamental design. This shouldn't be tolerated in something
> > >> which is released for general use. Shame on you, Kubuntu.
> > >
> > > Well, I wouldn't be so quick to fault Kubuntu. Were I to engage in a
> > > bit of
> > > blamestorming, I'd throw some in Google's direction. If their IMAP
> > > were, oh I dunno, _standard_ or something like that, then maybe we
> > > wouldn't have so many problems.
> >
> > Works fine with Thunderbird and Apple Mail. And I don't think the fact
> > the account wizard doesn't work, or the fact you have to do a sync,
> > close KMail, then reopen it change yet more settings can be blamed on
> > Google.
> >
> > Like I said. In Apple Mail and Thunderbird the setup procedure is : Enter
> > email address and password. That's it. That's how it should be these
> > days. Setting up KMail is like setting up email used to be in 1990. It's
> > not good enough, and KMail used to be really good indeed. KDE4 seems to
> > have so much emphasis on superficial bells and whistles while anything
> > approaching functionality has been left till last. It really has all
> > gone a bit Windows.
>
> Mark, you're right and I agree with you. I have TB setup and ready to use
> (just in case...)
> But, as Kmail is KDE native, and I work in the localization team, and I
> need to try the Kde apps to check them and to file bugs, and also because
> I like Kontact and Kmail, I "do want" to use them, even if I have to
> struggle for their use and to understand and help, if possible, the other
> users in the use.
>
> Of course, I cannot suggest Kmail for production use at its current state,
> at work people cannot permit to lose mails or wait hours after an upgrade.
> That said, after Steve's suggestions, the system started to work quite
> smooth and fast, even if I dedicated 350 MB of 1 GB RAM to Nepomuk, and I
> have an "ancient" system (PIV 2.8 ghz / 1 GB Ram / 512 MB video card).
>
> One thing that TB has and for which I want to file a wish for Kmail, is the
> possibility to decide how many months the program must check and sync the
> server's mail.
>
> Ciao

Hi Valter,
I appreciate your candor. I have been using Kontact for almost ten years now,
I have thousands of email stored in it, I have hundreds of filters set up and
there is the matter of my address book. Moving to Thunderbird would be a
nightmare, but I am seriously considering. I run 4.4.8 under KDE 4.4.5. The
whole Akanodi thing has never worked right, I had to hack to get it to start
at the start of the KDE session, I have never been able to sync with my Google
calender and it seems that newer releases just keep getting worse. I run
Kubuntu LTS and was hoping the next version would bring some improvement, now
it would seem that the opposite would be true.

I am a CTO in my day job and at this point if I got a resume listing the kde-
pim project as experience I would not even grant an interview.


--
Mike McGinn FACOCM
Ex Uno Plurima
No electrons were harmed in sending this message.
** Registered Linux User 377849

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Tim Edwards
 
Default Nepomuk performance

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012, at 07:23 PM, Mike McGinn wrote:
> Hi Valter,
> I appreciate your candor. I have been using Kontact for almost ten years
> now,
> I have thousands of email stored in it, I have hundreds of filters set up
> and
> there is the matter of my address book. Moving to Thunderbird would be a
> nightmare, but I am seriously considering. I run 4.4.8 under KDE 4.4.5.
> The
> whole Akanodi thing has never worked right, I had to hack to get it to
> start
> at the start of the KDE session, I have never been able to sync with my
> Google
> calender and it seems that newer releases just keep getting worse. I run
> Kubuntu LTS and was hoping the next version would bring some improvement,
> now
> it would seem that the opposite would be true.
>
> I am a CTO in my day job and at this point if I got a resume listing the
> kde-
> pim project as experience I would not even grant an interview.

+1 I've used Thunderbird for years now but recently I looked at
switching back to Kmail/Kontact as Thunderbird's address book is
terrible. I have all my mail served by IMAP servers (a local one for
archives, remote for current stuff), so no need to worry about
transferring message archives between programs.

Kmail was still a disaster, uninformative error messages everywhere,
duplicate resources appearing and the Google Contact sync simply failed
with no error message and for no reason. Not to mention I first had to
hack around in .kde config files to get Akonadi working properly, and
then use Akonadi configuration dialogs which don't appear in the menus
but can be started by running a command directly. I even created a
completely new user with a fresh home directory and tried setting it up
there and got nothing but errors and frustration.

Kmail/kontact had the potential to be a great program, but at the moment
it's a buggy, poorly documented, opaque and way over-complicated mess.
And don't get me started on Akonadi. Thank god we have Thunderbird.

Tim

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:08 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org