FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Mark Greenwood
 
Default Nepomuk performance

On 18 Jan 2012, at 21:58, Steve Riley wrote:

> We've been discussing over at the Kubuntu Forums how surprisingly stable
> Precise, KDE 4.7.97 (4.8 rc2), and Qt 4.8 are. A few are using it as their
> primary setup now. Akonadi (mostly) works well with Google, KMail (mostly)
> behaves the way we'd like it to,

I'd disagree entirely. it took me 4 attempts (and 3 crashes) to get KMail to check my gmail account, the setup wizard didn't work at all, and as I said I have to give akostrigimuk 350MB of RAM to stop it killing my system. As far as I can tell KDE4 gets worse with every release.

The worst thing is that once I'd got KMail configured for my gmail account, akonadi keeps on checking it even when KMail isn't running. What the ****** is that about?

It's a good job there's Thunderbirtd.

Mark


> and Nepomuk/Strigi/Virtuoso/MySQL (mostly)
> stay out of the way.
>
> --Steve
>
>
> On 2012-01-18 11:06:33 JŲrg von Frantzius <jfrantzius@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I've got 4.7.4 here. So you're using 4.8 RC on Kubuntu 11.10?
>>
>> 2012/1/18 Alvin <info@alvin.be>
>>
>>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:43:07 +0100, JŲrg von Frantzius <
>>>
>>> jfrantzius@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>> this isn't meant to be another bashing of Nepomuk + Strigi.
>>>> I'm just wondering about its performance: [...]
>>>
>>> What version of KDE are you using? I'm currently trying out the RC of
>>> 4.8
>>> and my computer is actually usable now with nepomuk/strigi/virtuoso
>>> enabled. It wasn't before.
>
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM
"O. Sinclair"
 
Default Nepomuk performance

On 19/01/12 15:52, Mark Greenwood wrote:


On 18 Jan 2012, at 21:58, Steve Riley wrote:


We've been discussing over at the Kubuntu Forums how surprisingly stable
Precise, KDE 4.7.97 (4.8 rc2), and Qt 4.8 are. A few are using it as their
primary setup now. Akonadi (mostly) works well with Google, KMail (mostly)
behaves the way we'd like it to,


I'd disagree entirely. it took me 4 attempts (and 3 crashes) to get KMail to check my gmail account, the setup wizard didn't work at all, and as I said I have to give akostrigimuk 350MB of RAM to stop it killing my system. As far as I can tell KDE4 gets worse with every release.

The worst thing is that once I'd got KMail configured for my gmail account, akonadi keeps on checking it even when KMail isn't running. What the ****** is that about?



that could be intended behaviour.. check your accounts "retrieval
options" in KMail and make sure it is set to "switch offline on KMail
shutdown". Not that it always helps to set it like that, occasionally
mail gets checked even if it is ticked but most of the time it works as
intended.


Best
Sinclair

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Steve Riley
 
Default Nepomuk performance

On 2012-01-19 13:52:44 Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 Jan 2012, at 21:58, Steve Riley wrote:
> > We've been discussing over at the Kubuntu Forums how surprisingly stable
> > Precise, KDE 4.7.97 (4.8 rc2), and Qt 4.8 are. A few are using it as
> > their primary setup now. Akonadi (mostly) works well with Google, KMail
> > (mostly) behaves the way we'd like it to,
>
> I'd disagree entirely. it took me 4 attempts (and 3 crashes) to get KMail to
> check my gmail account, the setup wizard didn't work at all, and as I said
> I have to give akostrigimuk 350MB of RAM to stop it killing my system. As
> far as I can tell KDE4 gets worse with every release.

Success seems to happen only if you follow a certain sequence of steps.

$ akonadictl stop
$ rm -rfv ~/.local/share/akonadi*
$ rm -rfv ~/.config/akonadi/*
$ rm -rfv ~/.kde/share/config/*
$ akonadictl start

Log into your Gmail account via the web. Go to mail settings | Forwarding and
POP/IMAP. Under "When I mark..." turn off auto-expunge. Under "When a
message..." select "Immediately delete."

Then, in KMail, don't use the account wizard. Instead, manually configure your
Gmail settings. When configuring your IMAP resource, after entering your Google
credentials on the General tab, be sure to go to the Advanced tab and click
the Auto Detect button.

Let KMail perform its initial sync, then close it. Now open it. Return to the
configuration window. Modify your identity and set your sent-mail and drafts
folders to the folders on Google. Modify your IMAP resource and set the trash
folder to Google.

--Steve


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Mark Greenwood
 
Default Nepomuk performance

On 19 Jan 2012, at 18:55, Steve Riley wrote:

> On 2012-01-19 13:52:44 Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 18 Jan 2012, at 21:58, Steve Riley wrote:
>>> We've been discussing over at the Kubuntu Forums how surprisingly stable
>>> Precise, KDE 4.7.97 (4.8 rc2), and Qt 4.8 are. A few are using it as
>>> their primary setup now. Akonadi (mostly) works well with Google, KMail
>>> (mostly) behaves the way we'd like it to,
>>
>> I'd disagree entirely. it took me 4 attempts (and 3 crashes) to get KMail to
>> check my gmail account, the setup wizard didn't work at all, and as I said
>> I have to give akostrigimuk 350MB of RAM to stop it killing my system. As
>> far as I can tell KDE4 gets worse with every release.
>
> Success seems to happen only if you follow a certain sequence of steps.
>
> $ akonadictl stop
> $ rm -rfv ~/.local/share/akonadi*
> $ rm -rfv ~/.config/akonadi/*
> $ rm -rfv ~/.kde/share/config/*
> $ akonadictl start
>
> Log into your Gmail account via the web. Go to mail settings | Forwarding and
> POP/IMAP. Under "When I mark..." turn off auto-expunge. Under "When a
> message..." select "Immediately delete."
>
> Then, in KMail, don't use the account wizard. Instead, manually configure your
> Gmail settings. When configuring your IMAP resource, after entering your Google
> credentials on the General tab, be sure to go to the Advanced tab and click
> the Auto Detect button.
>
> Let KMail perform its initial sync, then close it. Now open it. Return to the
> configuration window. Modify your identity and set your sent-mail and drafts
> folders to the folders on Google. Modify your IMAP resource and set the trash
> folder to Google.

Thanks for the explanation. I still think I prefer Thunderbird: Enter email address and password. Use Email. That's it.

Mark

>
> --Steve
>
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Steve Riley
 
Default Nepomuk performance

On 2012-01-19 18:59:06 Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the explanation. I still think I prefer Thunderbird: Enter email
> address and password. Use Email. That's it.
>
> Mark

Yeah, for a long time I used Thunderbird too, because Akonadi didn't feel
ready. But with Precise and KDE 4.8, I've noticed a distinct improvement in
quality. Akonadi even seems to work OK with SQLite as its backend, and
Virtuoso no longer hogs the CPU. And since I really like KMail as an
application, I'm happy that I can bend it to my will and it'll stay there.

--Steve


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Valter Mura
 
Default Nepomuk performance

In data giovedž 19 gennaio 2012 10:55:54, Steve Riley ha scritto:
> On 2012-01-19 13:52:44 Mark Greenwood <fatgerman@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 18 Jan 2012, at 21:58, Steve Riley wrote:
> > > We've been discussing over at the Kubuntu Forums how surprisingly stable
> > > Precise, KDE 4.7.97 (4.8 rc2), and Qt 4.8 are. A few are using it as
> > > their primary setup now. Akonadi (mostly) works well with Google, KMail
> > > (mostly) behaves the way we'd like it to,
> >
> > I'd disagree entirely. it took me 4 attempts (and 3 crashes) to get KMail
> > to check my gmail account, the setup wizard didn't work at all, and as I
> > said I have to give akostrigimuk 350MB of RAM to stop it killing my
> > system. As far as I can tell KDE4 gets worse with every release.
>
> Success seems to happen only if you follow a certain sequence of steps.
>
> $ akonadictl stop
> $ rm -rfv ~/.local/share/akonadi*
> $ rm -rfv ~/.config/akonadi/*
> $ rm -rfv ~/.kde/share/config/*
> $ akonadictl start
>
> Log into your Gmail account via the web. Go to mail settings | Forwarding
> and POP/IMAP. Under "When I mark..." turn off auto-expunge. Under "When a
> message..." select "Immediately delete."
>
> Then, in KMail, don't use the account wizard. Instead, manually configure
> your Gmail settings. When configuring your IMAP resource, after entering
> your Google credentials on the General tab, be sure to go to the Advanced
> tab and click the Auto Detect button.
>
> Let KMail perform its initial sync, then close it. Now open it. Return to
> the configuration window. Modify your identity and set your sent-mail and
> drafts folders to the folders on Google. Modify your IMAP resource and set
> the trash folder to Google.

Hi,

I have to say that, after having applied this procedure, Kmail seems to have
start to work properly again, for which I am *very happy*. I've started to use
it again!

Ciao
--
Valter
*Open Source is better!*
Kubuntu: www.kubuntu.org
KDE: www.kde.org
LibreOffice: www.libreoffice.org

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Steve Riley
 
Default Nepomuk performance

On 2012-02-03 23:29:19 Valter Mura <valtermura@gmail.com> wrote:

> In data giovedž 19 gennaio 2012 10:55:54, Steve Riley ha scritto:

> > Success seems to happen only if you follow a certain sequence of steps.

> >

> > $ akonadictl stop

> > $ rm -rfv ~/.local/share/akonadi*

> > $ rm -rfv ~/.config/akonadi/*

> > $ rm -rfv ~/.kde/share/config/*

> > $ akonadictl start

> >

> > Log into your Gmail account via the web. Go to mail settings | Forwarding

> > and POP/IMAP. Under "When I mark..." turn off auto-expunge. Under "When a

> > message..." select "Immediately delete."

> >

> > Then, in KMail, don't use the account wizard. Instead, manually configure

> > your Gmail settings. When configuring your IMAP resource, after entering

> > your Google credentials on the General tab, be sure to go to the Advanced

> > tab and click the Auto Detect button.

> >

> > Let KMail perform its initial sync, then close it. Now open it. Return to

> > the configuration window. Modify your identity and set your sent-mail and

> > drafts folders to the folders on Google. Modify your IMAP resource and set

> > the trash folder to Google.

>

> Hi,

>

> I have to say that, after having applied this procedure, Kmail seems to have

> start to work properly again, for which I am *very happy*. I've started to

> use it again!

*

*

Cool! Glad it's working for you.

*

The akonadi-kde-resource-googledata plugin now works for Google calendars in Korganizer, too. Well, it works for your primary calendar, anyway. If you have secondary Google calendars, you still need to configure CalDAV resources for those. See:

*

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?56434-SOLVED-sync-gmail-amp-kontact-amp-syncevloution-Kubicle-s-how-to&p=278847&viewfull=1#post278847

*

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?56434-SOLVED-sync-gmail-amp-kontact-amp-syncevloution-Kubicle-s-how-to&p=278862&viewfull=1#post278862

*

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?57137-kmail-gmail-headache&p=286439&viewfull=1#post286439

*

--Steve

*
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Mark Greenwood
 
Default Nepomuk performance

On 3 Feb 2012, at 22:44, Steve Riley wrote:On 2012-02-03 23:29:19 Valter Mura <valtermura@gmail.com> wrote:> In data gioved√¨ 19 gennaio 2012 10:55:54, Steve Riley ha scritto:> > Success seems to happen only if you follow a certain sequence of steps.> >> > $ akonadictl stop> > $ rm -rfv ~/.local/share/akonadi*> > $ rm -rfv ~/.config/akonadi/*> > $ rm -rfv ~/.kde/share/config/*> > $ akonadictl start> > > > Log into your Gmail account via the web. Go to mail settings | Forwarding> > and POP/IMAP. Under "When I mark..." turn off auto-expunge. Under "When a> > message..." select "Immediately delete."> > > > Then, in KMail, don't use the account wizard. Instead, manually configure> > your Gmail settings. When configuring your IMAP resource, after entering> > your Google credentials on the General tab, be sure to go to the Advanced> > tab and click the Auto Detect button.> > > > Let KMail perform its initial sync, then close it. Now open it. Return to> > the configuration window. Modify your identity and set your sent-mail and> > drafts folders to the folders on Google. Modify your IMAP resource and set> > the trash folder to Google.> > Hi,> > I have to say that, after having applied this procedure, Kmail seems to have> start to work properly again, for which I am *very happy*. I've started to> use it again! ¬*
¬*
Cool! Glad it's working for you.¬*
The akonadi-kde-resource-googledata plugin now works for Google calendars in Korganizer, too. Well, it works for your primary calendar, anyway. If you have secondary Google calendars, you still need to configure CalDAV resources for those. See:¬*
http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?56434-SOLVED-sync-gmail-amp-kontact-amp-syncevloution-Kubicle-s-how-to&p=278847&viewfull=1#post278847¬*
http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?56434-SOLVED-sync-gmail-amp-kontact-amp-syncevloution-Kubicle-s-how-to&p=278862&viewfull=1#post278862¬*
http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?57137-kmail-gmail-headache&p=286439&viewfull=1#post286439¬*
--Steve
C'Mon people…. email is over 40 years old. It's no longer rocket science, it's an everyday activity. If it's this difficult to configure a client then something is very wrong with the client in terms of fundamental design. This shouldn't be tolerated in something which is released for general use. Shame on you, Kubuntu.
Mark
¬*
--¬*
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at:¬*https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-04-2012, 05:09 AM
Steve Riley
 
Default Nepomuk performance

On 2012-02-03 23:34:00 Mark Greenwood wrote:
>
> C'Mon people…. email is over 40 years old. It's no longer rocket science,
> it's an everyday activity. If it's this difficult to configure a client then
> something is very wrong with the client in terms of fundamental design. This
> shouldn't be tolerated in something which is released for general use. Shame
> on you, Kubuntu.


Well, I wouldn't be so quick to fault Kubuntu. Were I to engage in a bit of
blamestorming, I'd throw some in Google's direction. If their IMAP were, oh I
dunno, _standard_ or something like that, then maybe we wouldn't have so many
problems.

--Steve


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Mark Greenwood
 
Default Nepomuk performance

On 4 Feb 2012, at 06:09, Steve Riley wrote:

> On 2012-02-03 23:34:00 Mark Greenwood wrote:
>>
>> C'Mon people…. email is over 40 years old. It's no longer rocket science,
>> it's an everyday activity. If it's this difficult to configure a client then
>> something is very wrong with the client in terms of fundamental design. This
>> shouldn't be tolerated in something which is released for general use. Shame
>> on you, Kubuntu.
>
>
> Well, I wouldn't be so quick to fault Kubuntu. Were I to engage in a bit of
> blamestorming, I'd throw some in Google's direction. If their IMAP were, oh I
> dunno, _standard_ or something like that, then maybe we wouldn't have so many
> problems.

Works fine with Thunderbird and Apple Mail. And I don't think the fact the account wizard doesn't work, or the fact you have to do a sync, close KMail, then reopen it change yet more settings can be blamed on Google.

Like I said. In Apple Mail and Thunderbird the setup procedure is : Enter email address and password. That's it. That's how it should be these days. Setting up KMail is like setting up email used to be in 1990. It's not good enough, and KMail used to be really good indeed. KDE4 seems to have so much emphasis on superficial bells and whistles while anything approaching functionality has been left till last. It really has all gone a bit Windows.

Mark

>
> --Steve
>
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:50 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org