Old 01-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Errol Sapir

Default gui login problem

I cannot login with my name and password when the main login requst
comes up when booting. If I go to "repair mode" I can login to kubbuntu
when applying control-E. So the problem isn't one of an incorrect
username or password. I also created another user and tried to go in
that way, again no gui entry.
Thinking the problem could be solved by reinstalling (and as I have my
home on a different partition), I reinstalled and formatted my Kubuntu
root partition. After installing, the problem is still there.
My (limited) understanding is that the problem is with some definition
in the home partition. Is that possible and if so what?
My next step seems to be to boot with a live CD, copy my home to another
place (external disk or whatever) and the reinstall formatting
everything. Before I do that I'd to hear suggestions on how to solve
this without such a drastic step.

TIA
Errol

Old 01-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Leslie Anne Chatterton

Hi Errol,

It could be a video driver issue. The kernel contains most drivers although for optimum performance with a few cards (nvidia and ATI mainly) you do need to locate their proprietary drivers.

Before you do a clean install try, from a live CD of any distro, renaming the hidden .config directory in your home directory (that's "dot_config" with no space between the "dot"[=period] and "config". It's hard to type on this tablet!) If that works the system will create a new "clean" .config directory.

Some programmes may lose their preferences but actual data - photos, music, bookmarks, downloads etc will be safe and can be moved into the new .config. Keep track of what you move and relogin after each directory is moved. If the problem reappears remove the last one you added - it's the problem.

Someone wise than I may be able to tell you exactly what causes the problem but this should work.

Sent from my Motorola Xoom Android tablet

Old 01-04-2012, 03:07 AM
Errol Sapir

Hi Leslet

Thanks for your help but it didn't solve the problem. I'm hoping for
more suggestions before going down the dangerous road of formatting
everything (although I do have a backup of the info on home.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 PM
uteck

What session is the gui trying to login to by default? It seems like
KDM may have be configured to start an session that may not exist.

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:07 PM, Errol Sapir <errol@tzora.co.il> wrote:

> Hi Leslet
> Thanks for your help but it didn't solve the problem. I'm hoping for more
> suggestions before going down the dangerous road of formatting everything
> (although I do have a backup of the info on home.
> Errol
>

> On 03/01/2012 19:23, Leslie Anne Chatterton wrote:
>
> Hi Errol,
>
> It could be a video driver issue. The kernel contains most drivers although
> for optimum performance with a few cards (nvidia and ATI mainly) you do need
> to locate their proprietary drivers.
>
> Before you do a clean install try, from a live CD of any distro, renaming
> the hidden .config directory in your home directory (that's "dot_config"
> with no space between the "dot"[=period] and "config". It's hard to type on
> this tablet!) If that works the system will create a new "clean" .config
> directory.
>
> Some programmes may lose their preferences but actual data - photos, music,
> bookmarks, downloads etc will be safe and can be moved into the new .config.
> Keep track of what you move and relogin after each directory is moved. If
> the problem reappears remove the last one you added - it's the problem.
>
> Someone wise than I may be able to tell you exactly what causes the problem
> but this should work.
>
> Sent from my Motorola Xoom Android tablet
>
> On Jan 3, 2012 9:12 AM, "Errol Sapir" <errol@tzora.co.il> wrote:
>>
>> I cannot login with my name and password when the main login requst comes
>> up when booting. If I go to "repair mode" I can login to kubbuntu when
>> applying control-E. So the problem isn't one of an incorrect username or
>> password. I also created another user and tried to go in that way, again no
>> gui entry.
>> Thinking the problem could be solved by reinstalling (and as I have my
>> home on a different partition), I reinstalled and formatted my Kubuntu root
>> partition. After installing, the problem is still there.
>> My (limited) understanding is that the problem is with some definition in
>> the home partition. Is that possible and if so what?
>> My next step seems to be to boot with a live CD, copy my home to another
>> place (external disk or whatever) and the reinstall formatting everything.
>> Before I do that I'd to hear suggestions on how to solve this without such a
>> drastic step.
>> TIA
>> Errol
>>
>> --

no .sig found
Please restart your browser.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Errol Sapir

Hi Uteck
I didn't quite understand the question. What happens is that the gui
login screen with my name in it comes up (as it always had), and when I
type my password the screen goes blank for a moment and then the same
screen reappears, asking for my password.

Errol

Old 01-04-2012, 03:14 PM
uteck

On the login screen, are there any sections were you can click to
change settings?
There usually is, and one of them lets you change which desktop
manager to start.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Wednesday, January 04, 2012 17:43:32 Errol Sapir wrote:
> Hi Uteck
> I didn't quite understand the question. What happens is that the gui
> login screen with my name in it comes up (as it always had), and when I
> type my password the screen goes blank for a moment and then the same
> screen reappears, asking for my password.
> Errol

This is sometimes (usually) due to some reason that KDE can't be started....

Such as a /home that can't be found or belongs to someone else. Usually
though there is a message to at least tell you something is wrong if not
exactly what.

Use the menu drop down from the login menu to try a different window mgr as
suggested.... and if possible. Might get you further to finding the problem.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Errol Sapir

I tried all four options (default, kde plasma workspace,kde plasma
workspace(failsafe) session,failsfe) and got the same reaction- a period
of a few seconds blank screen, and then back to the login panel. I then
logged in using thr "console login" option that is an option when
pressing the shutdown button on the panel. I was able to login but when
I tried to go gui by typing "startx" the computer went into a "blackout"
(totally black screen) and could only be relieved from this situation
and be restarted by pressing on the restart button.

Errol

Old 01-05-2012, 12:41 AM
Mark Greenwood

Is there anything in /var/log/Xorg.0.log that gives you any clues?

Mark

Old 01-05-2012, 12:52 AM

Try the console login again, and look at the file permissions; ls -l
or ls -a and make sure that you are listed as the owner of the files.
If the permissions look fine, then try backing up the .kde directory and
logging in again. (mv .kde KDE.bak)
If that works, then you had something corrupted in your settings.