Old 01-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Michael Hirsch

Default gui login problem

Looking at the X log file is a good idea.* It sounds like it is trying to start KDE and something is failing.* Since KDM starts up, your X should be working.

When I've had this kind of problem I can often solve it by finding where in the login sequence things are failing.* So, I think things start with /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsession and then to /etc/X11/Xsession.* You can modify these programs to print log message to /tmp/mylog, then when logging in fails, look at the log and see what was happening.* Start tracing this sequence until you find the problem.

It will probably be easier to debug the startx command than KDE as that is a lot simpler.* Create a simple .Xsession that opens an xterm and see what happens.

Michael