Old 11-27-2007, 10:50 AM

Default OS suggestions

On 11/27/07, David McGlone <d.mcglone@att.net> wrote:
Hey all,

I have 2 computers that I've had sitting around for a couple years, and I'd
like to put kubuntu on them, but that doesn't seem to work. The IBM with an

AMD k6 and 128mb sdram will let me install kubuntu 7.10 but it's
slowwwwwwwwww and I get protocols dying on me unexpectedly. The Other
computer is an Intel PII with 128mb sdram and the install disk will not start

up at all. I installed Win XP on both of them and it works fine, but I don't
want Winblows on these machines.

Any suggestions? I want to get these computers up and running for my kids and
tailor them with games and kids apps.

--
Q:******Why is it that Mexico isn't sending anyone to the '84 summer games?
A:******Anyone in Mexico who can run, swim or jump is already in LA.

*
Maybe you should try Xubuntu instead, it's friendler than Kubuntu and Ubuntu on old hardware.
*
/ Pierre
*

Old 11-27-2007, 11:14 AM
hvralpha

Try running both on XFCE desktop in place of KDE. Will speed them up.
As option try PCLinuxOS or Linux Mint for compatibility.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Martin Laberge

On November 27, 2007 06:28:39 David McGlone wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have 2 computers that I've had sitting around for a couple years, and I'd
> like to put kubuntu on them, but that doesn't seem to work. The IBM with an
> AMD k6 and 128mb sdram will let me install kubuntu 7.10 but it's
> slowwwwwwwwww and I get protocols dying on me unexpectedly. The Other
> computer is an Intel PII with 128mb sdram and the install disk will not start
> up at all. I installed Win XP on both of them and it works fine, but I don't
> want Winblows on these machines.
>
> Any suggestions? I want to get these computers up and running for my kids and
> tailor them with games and kids apps.
>
> --
> Q: Why is it that Mexico isn't sending anyone to the '84 summer games?
> A: Anyone in Mexico who can run, swim or jump is already in LA.

Use Xubuntu, you will get a good performance on old machines
and you can run almost any kde or gnome apps on it.

--
Martin Laberge, 30 years of unix admin... and still learning!
mlsoft@videotron.ca

Old 11-28-2007, 01:26 AM
"uriah heep"

I have 2 computers that I've had sitting around for a couple years, and I'd
like to put kubuntu on them, but that doesn't seem to work. The IBM with an
AMD k6 and 128mb sdram will let me install kubuntu
7.10 but it's
slowwwwwwwwww and I get protocols dying on me unexpectedly. The Other
computer is an Intel PII with 128mb sdram and the install disk will not start
up at all. I installed Win XP on both of them and it works fine, but I don't

want Winblows on these machines.

Any suggestions? I want to get these computers up and running for my kids and
tailor them with games and kids apps.

--
Q: * * *Why is it that Mexico isn't sending anyone to the '84 summer games?

A: * * *Anyone in Mexico who can run, swim or jump is already in LA.

--
Well you can go command line only or maybe find some junk computers and grab a little more memory.* Never tried xubuntu so no comment there.

Uriah

Old 11-28-2007, 01:31 AM
"Chris Miller"

Damn
Small
Linux

http://damnsmalllinux.org/

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495
http://profile.xfire.com/mrstalinman

Old 11-28-2007, 04:13 AM
Graham

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:31:10 -0800
"Chris Miller" <lordsauronthegreat@gmail.com> wrote:

> Damn
> Small
> Linux
>

> http://damnsmalllinux.org/

Also, look at AntiX:

http://www.mepis.org/node/13723

and look for it in the "testing" directory at one of the mirrors on
this page:

http://www.mepis.org/mirrors

In general, depending on your memory resources, you won't get KDE to
run in lower-spec machines. I believe AntiX uses Fluxbox as its
Desktop.

--

Graham Todd

Old 11-28-2007, 05:21 AM
Earl Violet

--- Graham <grahamtodd2@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:31:10 -0800
> "Chris Miller" <lordsauronthegreat@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Damn
> > Small
> > Linux
> >

> > http://damnsmalllinux.org/
>
> Also, look at AntiX:
>
> http://www.mepis.org/node/13723
>
> and look for it in the "testing" directory at one of the mirrors on
> this page:
>
> http://www.mepis.org/mirrors
>
> In general, depending on your memory resources, you won't get KDE
> run in lower-spec machines. I believe AntiX uses Fluxbox as its
> Desktop.
>
> --
>
> Graham Todd
I use UBUNTU with FVWM. You might want to try Ubuntu Server and then
get fvwm-crystal. It's pretty light and you can find plenty of light
programs from the Ubuntu repos. It looks good too. Almost
infinitely programmable if you want to go into it.

Earl

URL http://deserthowler.cjb.net
Instant messenger: earlcoyote
ICQ:64033496

Old 11-28-2007, 08:35 PM
David McGlone

On Tuesday 27 November 2007 10:24:53 am Martin Laberge wrote:
> On November 27, 2007 06:28:39 David McGlone wrote:
> Use Xubuntu, you will get a good performance on old machines
> and you can run almost any kde or gnome apps on it.

I think I'll try this option first, since I'm trying to stick to the Ubuntu
line.

--
David M.

You will be a winner today. Pick a fight with a four-year-old.